North Korea

greg775

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacifi...r-camps-exposed

How can we and the rest of the world allow North Korea to have hundreds of thousands of people in these prison camps? To read the story online of a 23-year-old escapee who lived the first 23 years of his life raised by guards. ...

This man was taught if you know of someone trying to escape you tell the guards or you are killed. His mom and brother were planning an escape, so at 13, he turned them in. They shot and killed both in front of him.

He 10 years later did escape.

But seriously, is North Korea run by animals?? It sure sounds like it. How can the civilized world have anything to do with these people?

I pray for those poor people being tortured in those camps.

There's really not much we can do about it, unfortunately. Any action against NK will piss off China something good and result in NK leveling Seoul and killing millions of civilians.

There were two really interesting documentaries I've seen on NK. The first was a NatGeo look inside the country by a team of journalists ostensibly traveling with this eye surgeon who has developed an extremely cost-effective cataract surgery procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLBywKrTf4

The second was about a US soldier who defected to NK in the 60's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473181/

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
There's really not much we can do about it, unfortunately. Any action against NK will piss off China something good and result in NK leveling Seoul and killing millions of civilians.

There were two really interesting documentaries I've seen on NK. The first was a NatGeo look inside the country by a team of journalists ostensibly traveling with this eye surgeon who has developed an extremely cost-effective cataract surgery procedure.

If I don't watch the second one, WTF? What's the story on this guy? Why the hell would he defect there and is he being treated well?? Is he crazy?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
If I don't watch the second one, WTF? What's the story on this guy? Why the hell would he defect there and is he being treated well?? Is he crazy?

He defected in the 60's. He had a really s***ty life prior to joining the military and being stationed on the DMZ. He was a loner in the Army and a mixed up kid.

Yes, he's treated well there. He's a quasi-celebrity along with a handful of other American defectors from way back in the 50's and 60's.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 07:52 PM)
He defected in the 60's. He had a really s***ty life prior to joining the military and being stationed on the DMZ. He was a loner in the Army and a mixed up kid.

Yes, he's treated well there. He's a quasi-celebrity along with a handful of other American defectors from way back in the 50's and 60's.

I watched the second one on youtube. Wow, the Dresnok story was just amazing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)

Strange, thank you for the links.

I had some time last night today and I watched both and wow, I learned a lot. I was amazed at the staredown area between North and South Korean soldiers on the DMZ line I believe it's called. That is scary s***. Soldiers stationed there all day and night staring at each other. And the North Korean soldiers do not have their back to North Korea cause they must prevent anybody from sneaking by into South Korea.

I think Rodman should be ashamed of himself for going to visit that bastard leader of theirs. The guy has all this expensive stuff from other countries to enjoy yet he has his own people living in poverty.

It's so sad that people have to live in a country with a dictator. It's so barbaric. If anybody makes a peep of any kind they are thrown in a concentration camp to starve, get beaten, die. I thank God every day I'm in a country where the government can't do that s*** to me.

So very sad. The bastard U.S. defector was saying that medical care is free over there. Then the expose' points out there is no medicine over there, not even safe anaesthesia. People were flat-out blind until a Western doctor went over there and did some simple cataract surgeries. Then the people can see and do they thank the doctor?? No. They go up to a picture of Suk MuK Dick or whatever his name is and bow to him and thank him cause they are so scared of getting thrown in a camp.

Very very sad and Rodman should be ashamed of himself hanging out with such a f***ing creep.

p.s. I just read this in the Ottawa Citizen. What are the odds of this happening?

"If Kim Jong-un judges that the time has come to purify the South of democracy and invades, his action would surely prompt an American response that, in turn, would draw China into the conflict. It is a terrifying thought that this slightly farcical regime could trigger the war to end all wars."

My comment: WIll North Korea be the country that is the catalyst to ultimately end the world?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
Every ruler of every country dreams they could control and oppress their people the way North Korea does. I'd say its one hell of a catalyst that many governments want to emulate.

Rodman should be ashamed of himself becoming buddy/buddy with their ruthless leader. What's that all about?

Two scenarios

1) Two bat ass crazy m-fers getting together. Rodman getting back in the news, K-J jock sniffing.

2) The State Department is using the one guy on the planet that K-J seems to like, Rodman, as an unofficial diplomat.

Wierd. Rodman did tweet a couple months ago asking K-J to "Do him a solid and release Bae".

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 3, 2014 -> 11:19 AM)
Based on the stories i've watch on North Korean prison camps and the complete mind f*** the government has on its people, I absolutely buy this as a possibility.

But all of this raises the question: why are so many people – and so many major U.S. media outlets – still willing to treat this implausible story as plausible? This seems to be a problem particular to stories out of North Korea, about which almost any story is treated as broadly credible, no matter how outlandish or thinly sourced. There's no other country to which we bring such a high degree of gullibility.

A friend who's covered North Korea for several years and has visited the country, Isaac Stone Fish, now of Foreign Policy, once joked to me that as an American journalist you can write almost anything you want about North Korea and people will just accept it. Call it the Stone Fish Theory of North Korea coverage. We know so little about what really happens inside the country, and especially inside the leader's head, that very little is disprovable. But the things we do know are often so bizarre that just about anything can seem possible.

And, there's no getting around this, we in the media have a certain incentive to pick these stories up. "As you know, NK stories tend to get a lot of hits, so its easy to see why editors will want to pursue these stories," O'Carroll said. "I guess editors feel it is more legitimate to publish unverifiable, sensationalist information on North Korea because they can always fall back on the defense: 'How could we check? North Korea is so closed.' "

There's also a lost-in-translation element to American credulity about outlandish stories out of North Korea; to some degree, we fall victim to our own ignorance of how that society actually works. As I wrote in 2012 when the U.S. media were briefly aflame with nonsensical rumors that Kim had been assassinated in Beijing, the images out of the country are so bizarre and hard information so scant that there's little to prevent our imaginations from running wild. We are ready to believe anything.

Still, the thing about this story and so many others like it from North Korea is that there is a chance, however remote, that it could still be true. Yes, there is an awful lot of evidence suggesting it's probably false, but this being North Korea, there are also some reasons to allow for its plausibility.

"Bottom line is: unlikely but I can't rule it out," O'Carroll, whose NKNews site is known for its sober and careful coverage of North Korea, acknowledged. "While this one definitely feels exaggerated, who knows? With North Korea's KCNA publishing films showing the destruction of effigies of [former South Korean President] Lee Myung-bak by hungry dogs last year, and of course publishing several cartoons depicting the gruesome death of the same president, at least parts of the story could be within the realm of true. Don't forget the North Koreans even hosted competitions last year to think up the most gruesome way to kill 'Traitor' [Lee Myung-bak]; the prize? The winner could carry out that particular death sentence!"

tl;dr we know so damn little about that country, and what little we do knew can be pretty damn wacky, that it's always at least plausible.