Is Kansas a Laughingstock or Do You Not Care?

greg775

Our state leaders just passed a law saying businesses can turn down gays for service (restaurants, movie theatres, gas stations, wherever) because of religious objections. If you are a business owner and object to gays for religious reasons you can refuse to serve them.

Is this godawful state the only one with such a law?

Finally, this state's governor turned down all that free money from the government regarding medicare for some reason that angers me to no end.

My question to you is: Is Kansas the worst state in the union? Is Kansas a joke? What do you think of my first paragraph?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)
Our state leaders just passed a law saying businesses can turn down gays for service (restaurants, movie theatres, gas stations, wherever) because of religious objections. If you are a business owner and object to gays for religious reasons you can refuse to serve them.

Finally, this state's governor turned down all that free money from the government regarding medicare for some reason that angers me to no end.

My question to you is: Is Kansas the worst state in the union? Is Kansas a joke? What do you think of my first paragraph?

WTF KANSAS

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 07:08 AM)
yes it's a joke (the pathetic kind not the funny kind), yes they're a laughingstock, and yes it's officially the worst state in the union.

That's what I thought, Reddy. I wonder if I should move out of principle.

Talked with some of my KU friends, they hate it as well, but they're the blue dot.

Federal government can step in somehow, correct?

I could see relgiously-affiliated organizations refusing to HIRE gays based on religious beliefs, but not refusing to serve, and even then only actual religious organizations and not private companies like Hobby Lobby and Chik-Fil-A which try to use religious freedom to skirt laws.

Unless it is a publicly funded building, businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody. I don't think it's right, but if I walked in there right now and they didn't want to serve me, they shouldn't have to.

It really is amazing to me though how unaccepting some people are of the gay community. It literally does not affect you whatsoever.

There were a lot of strings attached to the "free" money for expanded medicaid, the most problematic was trying to adjust later to not having the money. Basically you can't roll back the program in three years, so now you are faced with raising state taxes to cover the loss of federal funds. Many states, not just Kansas decided to not go down that path.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Unless it is a publicly funded building, businesses have the right to refuse service to anybody. I don't think it's right, but if I walked in there right now and they didn't want to serve me, they shouldn't have to.

It really is amazing to me though how unaccepting some people are of the gay community. It literally does not affect you whatsoever.

Wasn't there a floral business in the Northeast that was fined and punished for refusing to do business with a gay couple looking for wedding floral arrangements?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Wasn't there a floral business in the Northeast that was fined and punished for refusing to do business with a gay couple looking for wedding floral arrangements?

Washington, unless there was a similar incident:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Florist-sue...-203664121.html

It's a dumb law, because they can already refuse to serve them (unless a state law says otherwise), so Kansas is just trying to be proactive about preventing those types of lawsuits. As I said in the Dem thread, it's basically SYG laws - not necessary because of existing self defense laws, but it's trying to prescribe rights instead of having to infer rights.

It should be noted, businesses can refuse customers, but that right is not without limits. As I understand it, they cannot exclude customers of a protected group for that reason specifically. Part of the puzzle here is, I am not sure gays are a "protected group" across states or jurisdictions. Someone more knowledgeable can speak to that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 14, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
It should be noted, businesses can refuse customers, but that right is not without limits. As I understand it, they cannot exclude customers of a protected group for that reason specifically. Part of the puzzle here is, I am not sure gays are a "protected group" across states or jurisdictions. Someone more knowledgeable can speak to that.

The civil rights act contains the public accommodations provision and the landmark case is heart of Atlanta motel.

But it's all about explicitly defined protected classes, and sexual orientation isn't one of them federally. Some states do have that protection, though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 13, 2014 -> 11:24 PM)

First of all it’s only passed the House. The Senate has yet to vote so it’s not a law yet.

Secondly, the way it’s worded seems way too broad to me because it includes state employees. DMV, police, fire, hospitals can all refuse service because the person is gay?

Link

Are gay people going to be required to wear giant rainbow pins so they can be identified for refusal of service? I know many are pretty obvious about it, but many are not. What if you serve somebody but they don't identify themselves as gay until later? Can the business sue them for emotional damages?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 19, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
Now some kook in the legislature wants to pass a law forbidding the "use" of surrogate mothers in Kansas. WTF is going on here? The water must be full of drugs.

If there ever was an area of law that needs a good looking at, it is the surrogate mother area. When we've reached the point where healthy women are contracting out for this service because they do not want to get fat, stretch marks, don't have the time, etc. We need to look at that.