Ukraine

justBLAZE

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russia has invaded a neighbor, the US President is sitting on his ass, and gas prices have shot up.

I've been listening to the Bee Gees, Doobie Brothers, and STYX all day since it's apparently 1979 again.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 05:06 PM)
Its more than Georgia/Ossetia. I think that Russia is going to back down, but they are definitely testing their power right now.

How so? There was a heckuva lot more shooting in the Georgia campaign than there has been in this one.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 04:09 PM)
I'm not sure how much legitimacy the new government in Kiev really has right now. They certainly don't have the support of a majority of Ukrainians.

Eastern Ukraine? No. Western Ukraine? Yes

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
Russia has invaded a neighbor, the US President is sitting on his ass, and gas prices have shot up.

I've been listening to the Bee Gees, Doobie Brothers, and STYX all day since it's apparently 1979 again.

Yes because we should lock horns with a legit super power that is Russia.

One of the first actions of the new parliament in Kiev was to repeal a law that allowed regions to use Russian as a second official language.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-...ussian-takeover

A week after the government of Viktor Yanukovich was removed from power by pro-Western protesters, new leaders in the capital city of Kiev passed a law that made Ukraine the official language of the country, irking tens of thousands of Russian speakers in the east and southeast. The law replaces a 2012 law that allowed for two official languages in regions where the size of the ethnic minority exceeds 10%.

Apart from the Russian-majority regions affected by the new language law, Hungarians, Moldovans and Romanians also lost their status as official languages in several towns in Western Ukraine.

I don't know that portraying what Russia's done so far as an "invasion" really makes sense. Last I had read, they had deployed a whole bunch of people to Crimea, but they have a huge naval base and existing treaties for military forces to be there and the new Crimean government asked them to come.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
I don't know that portraying what Russia's done so far as an "invasion" really makes sense. Last I had read, they had deployed a whole bunch of people to Crimea, but they have a huge naval base and existing treaties for military forces to be there and the new Crimean government asked them to come.

:lol:

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)

I hate Fox News and everyone who listens to them.

OBAMA AND THE ENTIRE EU IS GOING TO IMPOSE SANCTIONS AND ISOLATE RUSSIA

This is the RIGHT and PRUDENT move.

Why the f*** do you guys all want BOOTZ ON DUH GROWND NOW OR YOU FAILZ OBAAMMA!

Russian forces are there at the request of the Crimean government (which itself took power in a coup a week or so ago). It's a show military strength for sure, but the word "invasion" just doesn't seem to fit, at least to me. Intervention or something seems better, but really just arguing semantics at this point.

Does Crimea have a right to independence from Ukraine?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
Does Crimea have a right to independence from Ukraine?

Not under any reasonable definition of "right" based on some variety of law, but it's worth stressing that the territory was basically given to Ukraine as a bookkeeping operation when both areas were part of the USSR and beforehand this area would have been considered part of Russia.

I think Putin is afraid of Ukraine joining the EU and losing the free access to the oil lines that run through the country that RUSSIA set up back in USSR days. It's not unlikely that he's looking into re-annexation as the ultimate end-game...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
I think Putin is afraid of Ukraine joining the EU and losing the free access to the oil lines that run through the country that RUSSIA set up back in USSR days. It's not unlikely that he's looking into re-annexation as the ultimate end-game...

It seems extremely unlikely that Russia has the military strength to occupy and pacify the parts of the Ukraine that just toppled te government. They were able to do this step because they didn't have to fight. They could beat the Ukraine in a straight fight against their army but they don't have nearly the level of resources it would take to pacify the state afterwards.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
It seems extremely unlikely that Russia has the military strength to occupy and pacify the parts of the Ukraine that just toppled te government. They were able to do this step because they didn't have to fight. They could beat the Ukraine in a straight fight against their army but they don't have nearly the level of resources it would take to pacify the state afterwards.

their standing army is double the size of ours...