Robertson to WASH was close, now at stalemate

Whisox05

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
nats are still looking for closer. romo the best of the free agents. robertson, colome (long shot) trade options

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/824722970027458560

Rizzo: Rick, have you changed you mind at all on Robertson? I am really only willing to move Severino for him.

Hahn: Hey there, Mike. Was wondering when I'd hear from you again. Ya know, thing haven't changed over the past month. I am still going to need Robles from you.

Rizzo: C'mon man, you know I can't do that. I was already roasted for the Eaton trade.

Hahn: Mikey, Mikey...its not my fault the market for the FA closers has come and gone. Let me know when you're willing to talk.

Rizzo: (click)

Robertson makes sense for Washington, but I can't imagine them paying up for him. Depending on where the Sox are willing to go in this deal, they have some great positional talent in their top 10, plus all kinds of catchers rated throughout their system, plus some interesting international signings in their low minors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
Robertson makes sense for Washington, but I can't imagine them paying up for him. Depending on where the Sox are willing to go in this deal, they have some great positional talent in their top 10, plus all kinds of catchers rated throughout their system, plus some interesting international signings in their low minors.

Yah, a guy like Juan Soto would be interesting.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)
Yah, a guy like Juan Soto would be interesting.

Interesting idea

Soto is at least 4 years away from the majors, if not more. He was awesome in rookie ball, but is only 18 years old and will need time to develop.

The bat and power seem legit though

Severino is a defense first backup catcher at worst, at best a solid mlb starter

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
An OF prospect who is 18 and a guy we can already plug in at catcher (or leave in the minors for however long it takes to gain an extra year of control)? I can dig it.

Severino is great defensively, but outside of his inflated 18 game mlb cup of coffee he has been a pretty mediocre at best hitter

A .632 OPS in his minor league career does not inspire me much that he can provide any offensive value in a starting role. He seems like the kind of player that could have a lengthy career as a backup catcher though.

Soto is a rising prospect for sure, but I'm not certain I'd want to gamble that much on an 18 year old

Soto, Severino plus one more lottery ticket would be a decent framework

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 26, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)
Severino is great defensively, but outside of his inflated 18 game mlb cup of coffee he has been a pretty mediocre at best hitter

A .632 OPS in his minor league career does not inspire me much that he can provide any offensive value in a starting role. He seems like the kind of player that could have a lengthy career as a backup catcher though.

Soto is a rising prospect for sure, but I'm not certain I'd want to gamble that much on an 18 year old

Soto, Severino plus one more lottery ticket would be a decent framework

Also works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washing...osenthal-020617

That might change soon; the Nats continue to discuss a trade with the White Sox for closer David Robertson, according to major-league sources. Robertson is owed $12 million this season and $13 million next season, creating an all-too-typical Nats obstacle. The team does not want to absorb Robertson’s entire obligation, and does not want to move additional prospects after parting with three young pitchers for Eaton, sources say.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 07:05 AM)
http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washing...osenthal-020617

That might change soon; the Nats continue to discuss a trade with the White Sox for closer David Robertson, according to major-league sources. Robertson is owed $12 million this season and $13 million next season, creating an all-too-typical Nats obstacle. The team does not want to absorb Robertson’s entire obligation, and does not want to move additional prospects after parting with three young pitchers for Eaton, sources say.

So let me get this straight, the Nationals don't want to absorb Robertson's entire contract nor do they want to move additional prospects. Don't really see why we'd make a deal if the best we can do is a partial salary dump.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 6, 2017 -> 07:30 AM)
So let me get this straight, the Nationals don't want to absorb Robertson's entire contract nor do they want to move additional prospects. Don't really see why we'd make a deal if the best we can do is a partial salary dump.

I'd ask for LHP Jesus Lazardo and Yasel Antuna. Both are super young and far away but I'd rather have the upside than a limited upside guy like Stevenson or Severino. If the Nationals want the Sox to pay a bunch of the contract though they should probably keep him until the deadline. Screw Ted Lerner. That guy is the 2nd richest owner in the game, has a 2 year window with Bryce Harper and is pinching pennies.