2017 Video Game Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got WatchDogs 2 for Christmas and have been playing it the last few days. Been doing mostly side missions but I figure I'm about 1/3 of the way through the main story. It's definitely better than the first one although I can't help but compare it to GTA V where it falls a little short.

On one hand, I wish there was a way to modify and save vehicles. On the other hand, the driving mechanics aren't that great and you can simply fast-travel most of the time anyway.

I do like the fact that you have to ability to climb up buildings and other obstacles and use RC drones and cars for getting to the difficult to reach places. Although it seems to make the multi-player hacking missions more difficult for the hacker/easier for the hackee (is that a word?). I've only had 2 people come into my game to try and hack me and found them pretty easily both times.

It's also weird to see another person come into your game and just run around. There are only a couple of interactions but I wish one of them was "Sorry, I don't want to team up with you right now." 95% of the time I like to play solo.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 3, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
I got WatchDogs 2 for Christmas and have been playing it the last few days. Been doing mostly side missions but I figure I'm about 1/3 of the way through the main story. It's definitely better than the first one although I can't help but compare it to GTA V where it falls a little short.

On one hand, I wish there was a way to modify and save vehicles. On the other hand, the driving mechanics aren't that great and you can simply fast-travel most of the time anyway.

I do like the fact that you have to ability to climb up buildings and other obstacles and use RC drones and cars for getting to the difficult to reach places. Although it seems to make the multi-player hacking missions more difficult for the hacker/easier for the hackee (is that a word?). I've only had 2 people come into my game to try and hack me and found them pretty easily both times.

It's also weird to see another person come into your game and just run around. There are only a couple of interactions but I wish one of them was "Sorry, I don't want to team up with you right now." 95% of the time I like to play solo.

Yep. You pretty much summed up my thoughts on that game.

I just love immersive videogames. To enhance that, I got a soundbar for Christmas that throws legit surround sound. Holy s*** does this enhance Battlefront 1 even more!

A game I need to tout is Steep. Man, is that something that just sucks time away from you.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 5, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
A game I need to tout is Steep. Man, is that something that just sucks time away from you.

I tried the beta for that and thought it was fine, but I didn't see anything driving me to do anything. I also thought only the snowboarding was fun. What's the basic objective in that game? Is it just a bunch of time trials and score attacks?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jan 7, 2017 -> 04:48 PM)
I tried the beta for that and thought it was fine, but I didn't see anything driving me to do anything. I also thought only the snowboarding was fun. What's the basic objective in that game? Is it just a bunch of time trials and score attacks?

Pretty much - but the online community is massive.

Switch battery life of 2.5 hours to 6 hours seems pretty great for a console, considering that's what handhelds would run. Breath of the Wild trailer made me think of Shadow of the Colossus meets Morrowind. Odyssey looks dope.

The only disappointing aspect was only 32GB of on-board storage, but that can be expanded.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)

This game just looks incredible

Zelda and Mario both look incredible and appear to be catering to the hardcore fans. I wouldn't be surprised if these games end up being the best entries in their respective series.

Little worried about the launch window lineup though. Zelda is a legit killer app and should consume a ton of time, but there isn't really much after that. I'm not sure what to make of 1, 2 Switch...would have made a lot more sense as a free pack in. Just doesn't seem like a game people will go out and buy on their own, not with a $50 price tag. And after that, you basically have Mario Kart Deluxe & Arms in April & May most likely. I'm guessing they have more games planned for summer, fall, & holiday, but those first few months will be pretty weak IMO.

A buddy of mine bought an Oculus and I got to mess around with it this weekend. I can see the excitement for VR and where gaming is headed in the future, but I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed in it. He had a really nice computer running the thing, but the two games I played were graphically on par with the N64 or maybe ps1. It's definitely not close to being at current-gen level.

The immersion is amazing. The controls were pretty intuitive. I never got sick and I was "in" for 30-40 minutes at a time. But I dunno, still a good 5 or more years away before I'd pull the trigger on a VR set.

On of the biggest hurdles they're going to have to figure out is movement. I played a demo game that was stationary and allowed you to interact with objects while you stood in one position. That was awesome. I played another game that was more about exploring a world and killing zombies, so you had to travel around. The movement system was basically pointing to an area in front of you and then you teleported 5-10 feet ahead. If you wanted to turn around, you had to do an old school movement where you hit the joystick left or right twice, each moving your field of view 90 degrees. It was all very clumsy and frustrating. Shooting zombies as they ran towards you was awesome. But getting to them or running away from them was an awful experience.

Also, the bigger problem is whether the Oculus/PSVR is really the future. You're so closed off. You can't talk with your friends or engage with anyone else. I think they need to make a set that can be closed off like that when you want it, but also have it be more open...more of an augmented reality. So you can hang out and interact in your real environment. Microsoft had a trailer for its VR and the NFL, where you could "throw" the game on a wall and view replays in a VR 3D display on your coffee table. That's where the real draw would come in. Not sure the strictly gaming thing will ever catch on.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 14, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
Zelda and Mario both look incredible and appear to be catering to the hardcore fans. I wouldn't be surprised if these games end up being the best entries in their respective series.

Little worried about the launch window lineup though. Zelda is a legit killer app and should consume a ton of time, but there isn't really much after that. I'm not sure what to make of 1, 2 Switch...would have made a lot more sense as a free pack in. Just doesn't seem like a game people will go out and buy on their own, not with a $50 price tag. And after that, you basically have Mario Kart Deluxe & Arms in April & May most likely. I'm guessing they have more games planned for summer, fall, & holiday, but those first few months will be pretty weak IMO.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/nintendo-switch/Nin...h_Launch_Titles

Launch is pretty thin so far, hopefully they change that with a surprise title in the next month and a half

Right now Zelda, Bomberman R and Dragonquest of interest me the most though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
Anyone use an external hard drive for their PS4? I ran out of space and I don't really want to delete anything. Was thinking of grabbing a TB hard drive but I was looking for some opinions here.

I'm considering just getting a PS4 Pro and selling the regular. Difference will wind up being not much more than a big drive.

The hardware acceleration (boost mode) pretty much has me sold on the upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...