Explain this to an old man . . .

Texsox

As many know I teach high school in San Antonio. As I was walking down the hall I heard a kid greet another friend by saying Hi n****! Now that word is like nails on a chalkboard to a 50+ year old. I spin around to see two nerdy white freshman do a fist bump. On top of it all, today is a fundraiser and they are wearing pajamas. WTF?!

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
As many know I teach high school in San Antonio. As I was walking down the hall I heard a kid greet another friend by saying Hi n****! Now that word is like nails on a chalkboard to a 50+ year old. I spin around to see two nerdy white freshman do a fist bump. On top of it all, today is a fundraiser and they are wearing pajamas. WTF?!

The word has been in vogue for quite a while with the high school generation at my local HS. Probably five years now. Even the white kids use it socially.

If it ends up an "er," it is a racial slur. If it ends in an "a," it CAN be acceptable but it is not ALWAYS acceptable.

For me, when I was in college, I made to ask any black guys I hung around with that were using it if it were OK that I did too. They said yes and I was really excited. This proves how white I really am.

A lot of them my age do it funny and ironically. Hell, I say it to my white friends as a joke, but never in public or around our black friends. I don't think I've ever said it referring to a black person. Kids in HS probably use it normally. Kids 10 years from now will probably all use it and not even know why.

It would be nice if one day a stupid word, and all the variations of the word, didn't have so much power and didn't make people so upset, people who were never affected by it's original negative connotation.

If it ends up an "er," it is a racial slur. If it ends in an "a," it CAN be acceptable but it is not ALWAYS acceptable.

For me, when I was in college, I made to ask any black guys I hung around with that were using it if it were OK that I did too. They said yes and I was really excited. This proves how white I really am.

I always figured that living in North Dakota proved how white you really are.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)

Some white kids used it as a slur on Xbox Live, spread from there.

I'm still shocked when a white friend will use it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 01:30 AM)
A lot of them my age do it funny and ironically. Hell, I say it to my white friends as a joke, but never in public or around our black friends. I don't think I've ever said it referring to a black person. Kids in HS probably use it normally. Kids 10 years from now will probably all use it and not even know why.

It would be nice if one day a stupid word, and all the variations of the word, didn't have so much power and didn't make people so upset, people who were never affected by it's original negative connotation.

Dude..