Greg Holland Opts Out

oneofthemikes

Heyman is reporting that Holland will opt out and pursue free agency. Any chance the Sox are involved? He was pretty great to start the season and faded considerably late. The Sox track record with relievers lately coupled Herm's ability to keep everyone healthy could be appealing to him. Thoughts?

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Heyman is reporting that Holland will opt out and pursue free agency. Any chance the Sox are involved? He was pretty great to start the season and faded considerably late. The Sox track record with relievers lately coupled Herm's ability to keep everyone healthy could be appealing to him. Thoughts?

No need except to flip. Not worth the gamble since he is going to get paid.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)

Not likely. The Rockies will most likely give him a Qualifying Offer. The White Sox would have to forfeit their 3rd rounder to sign him. While it's not as a severe of a penalty as giving up the 1st pick, I don't see any scenario in which the Sox would forfeit picks this offseason.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)
Not likely. The Rockies will most likely give him a Qualifying Offer. The White Sox would have to forfeit their 3rd rounder to sign him. While it's not as a severe of a penalty as giving up the 1st pick, I don't see any scenario in which the Sox would forfeit picks this offseason.

Yeah I don't see them doing it either.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 12:20 PM)

Yeah, while Holland should surely fetch more than a 3rd RD type player back, there is still the risk that he sucks or gets hurt. It's more a risk a team on the fringe should make, like the Twins, who if they are good, can use him and keep him, if they aren't great, they can flip him.

If they go after a good reliable reliever, I would rather see them go after a guy like Kintzler. He would cost less, (though honestly, I have no idea what is market will be) and he could close next season, (Minaya-Jones- Kintzler not too shabby...) and possibly the following, and when the team is really ready to go for it, and they have their rock star closer of the future( Burdi?), Kintzler would be a great guy to have pitching the 7th.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
If they go after a good reliable reliever, I would rather see them go after a guy like Kintzler. He would cost less, (though honestly, I have no idea what is market will be) and he could close next season, (Minaya-Jones- Kintzler not too shabby...) and possibly the following, and when the team is really ready to go for it, and they have their rock star closer of the future( Burdi?), Kintzler would be a great guy to have pitching the 7th.

Really?

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Oct 12, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
, and they have their rock star closer of the future( Burdi?),

That's a bit presumptive.

I'm surprised he's turning down $15 million. He should take it and then go for his 3 year deal the next year.

Multi year and age doesn't fit in the Sox plans.