Realignment/Expansion

KrankinSox

Talk of the MLB expanding to two more cities and realigning their current structure has been circulating online this week. This article proposes some possible changes:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/columnists/...CgDpd02WuY1L.97

The main changes would be:

- 156 game schedule

- Four divisions of eight teams (Sox divsion has Cubs, Brewers, Cardinals, Rockies, Royals, Astros, and Rangers)

- 12 playoff teams (Four division winners play winners of four play-in games)

Personally, I would be pretty surprised to see the MLB shake things up this much. It's an interesting idea though and does make sense on a lot of levels. Would love to see the Brewers in the Sox division. Cubs vs Sox in a division race would be very interesting to say the least.

Thoughts?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid.

Here are my suggestions to fix baseball in the age of Millenials.

a.) Speed up the game. A strike is called on any hitter who re-straps the velcro on his glove. One strike if you step out of the box more than once per at bat. Catcher allowed to visit the mound once every inning except for suspected injury to pitcher, then you can go more often. Two balls are called every time catcher goes out there after the first time in an inning.

b.) Pitchers must deliver ball within a certain amount of time upon receiving it. Settle on the time; I don't care. Make it quick but reasonable.

c.) Fire all umpires and re-hire only umps willing to call the old strike zone. Knees to letters. Very very boring/annoying to see belt high fastballs called balls.

d.) Keep the divisions the way they are but return to a balanced schedule. It is f***ing horrible to see Sox play Detroit 19 times; Minnie 19; KC 19; Cleve 19. My god that sucks!!!

That's about it. Do this and the game is fixed!!!!

Edited by greg775

I'm 100% for expansion -- it drives new fan engagement and is a fascinating process to follow for fans of all teams. The draft would be fun, even though we'd lose players, and dilution of talent creates more opportunities for everyone while making stars even more valuable. Wins all around.

However, the BA proposal is a little aggressive for me. Realignment is whatever, and I could probably get over the league-lessness although I think too many others couldn't -- but reducing the number of games (even though it's probably better for everyone involved) is too hard to swallow for me because it instantly ruins the record book. Everything will always be a pre-realignment or post-realignment record, and that is just annoying.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)
I'm 100% for expansion -- it drives new fan engagement and is a fascinating process to follow for fans of all teams. The draft would be fun, even though we'd lose players, and dilution of talent creates more opportunities for everyone while making stars even more valuable. Wins all around.

However, the BA proposal is a little aggressive for me. Realignment is whatever, and I could probably get over the league-lessness although I think too many others couldn't -- but reducing the number of games (even though it's probably better for everyone involved) is too hard to swallow for me because it instantly ruins the record book. Everything will always be a pre-realignment or post-realignment record, and that is just annoying.

Not quite. You don't really hear that now a days. The schedule hasn't always been 162 games. I'm ok cutting off the 6 (1 week).

It's meaningless but I do enjoy the different flavors of AL and NL teams.

Expansion. Ehhh. I don't know. Is it really time? IN the expansion happy 90s they went after all of these emerging markets that for the most part still can't support a team.

Certainly in theory it makes sense that Nashville or Raleigh are on their way to doing it, or obviously canada. But when it's actually time to consistently support seems unlikely.

No current fan of a team should want expansion. 30 teams is pushing it, as is.

I'd keep it at 30, eliminate divisions, play a close-to-balanced schedule with only 12 interleague games within your own time zone. Top 5 of 15 make the postseason.

Only 5 AL teams finished with a winning record this year. Chasing the carrot of the 5th seed is better than just handing over the 6th spot.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 09:17 AM)

Steroid numbers kind of ended that for me

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
Not quite. You don't really hear that now a days. The schedule hasn't always been 162 games. I'm ok cutting off the 6 (1 week).

Right, because we've never taken games away, we've only ever added them. So all the records only ever INCREASE. How many homeruns should a guy have to hit in a 154 game season to be considered equal to the 162 game record?

Also, coverage is DRASTICALLY different than it was in 1961.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
With the way Charlotte supports baseball, they could well be in the discussion for an expansion or move in team.

From what I understand, whatever authority decides such a thing has done a study and officially declared that BB&T park is NOT "able" to be converted to a MLB facility.

So despite the other market factors, Charlotte may actually be among the LEAST viable destinations, given how shiny, new, and ideally located their currnet ballpark is.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
Right, because we've never taken games away, we've only ever added them. So all the records only ever INCREASE. How many homeruns should a guy have to hit in a 154 game season to be considered equal to the 162 game record?

Also, coverage is DRASTICALLY different than it was in 1961.

I'd say 69. Barry Bonds had 68 on game 154. But really I'd probably go with 61.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 17, 2017 -> 12:46 PM)
Why not?

The next sentence kinda answered it. 30 teams with tons of fringe major league players is watering the product down. Every team uses 50 players/25 pitchers on average. Add two more teams, that’s roughly 100 more fringe major league players.

There would also be more haves and have nots.

Also, just odds. Teams are now lucky if they win a World Series once every 30 years. Next, it’ll be 32. The definition of great team is getting blurred. Is it winning an October tournament, or winning 85+ games six out of 10 years. A case can be made that the latter is tougher to do.

Baseball is fine at 30. It would be better at 28. It will be worse at 32.