Matt Wieters

klaus kinski

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 09:52 PM)
Explains the Kevan Smith move. Coincidentally, today's Fangraph article says Wieters is just ok. However just ok is a hell of an improvement over last year.

He be could a solid flip candidate. Maybe he gets hot and hits a few extra HRs at the Cell and improves his value.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Feb 10, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Lead in to Hawks post game show

Well, what'd the lead in say?

My guess is that they were speculating a potential signing based on the Smith removal... but, I didn't see it - you did... so enlighten us please good sir.

are we trying to compete? This guy would make us good at catcher. We're already good at 3B, SS, 2B (if Moncada gets early call) and 1B. We're OK in LF, OK in RF, horrible in CF, horrible at DH.

Good at pitching overall. Hmmmm.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 12:21 AM)
are we trying to compete? This guy would make us good at catcher. We're already good at 3B, SS, 2B (if Moncada gets early call) and 1B. We're OK in LF, OK in RF, horrible in CF, horrible at DH.

Good at pitching overall. Hmmmm.

You need a good catcher to help your young pitching develop

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 04:59 AM)
30+ year old catcher

Rep is Scott Boras

White Sox in rebuild

Not going to happen

I sure hope not, unless it's for some stupid small amount with an intention of flipping him. .0005% chance.

The team is not going to sign anybody for any type of big money. The objective seems to have one of the lowest if not lowest payroll in MLB entering the 2018 season. I'm still hoping that this is JRs way of selling the team. It's alot easier to sell a team that has a low payroll with no long term big contracts on the books. That was the exact situation JR had when he bought the team from Veeck.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 07:16 AM)
The team is not going to sign anybody for any type of big money. The objective seems to have one of the lowest if not lowest payroll in MLB entering the 2018 season. I'm still hoping that this is JRs way of selling the team. It's alot easier to sell a team that has a low payroll with no long term big contracts on the books. That was the exact situation JR had when he bought the team from Veeck.

They aren't going to sign anyone because of where they are, not a possible sale. The Marlins might get sold for $1.6 billion and the owe Stanton more money than the Sox will pay almost their entire team the next 3 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
They aren't going to sign anyone because of where they are, not a possible sale. The Marlins might get sold for $1.6 billion and the owe Stanton more money than the Sox will pay almost their entire team the next 3 years.

Now Trump will be involved in MLB through his in-laws. More conflicts of interest...or intrusion of politics into sports.

The New York Times revealed the potential buyer to be Joshua Kushner, a New York City venture capitalist whose older brother Jared is married to Ivanka Trump.

Jared Kushner is senior advisor to President Donald Trump.

But the Times reported that neither Jared Kushner nor his father, Charles Kushner, are involved in ongoing talks to buy the team.

Instead, Joshua Kushner and Joseph Meyer, his brother-in-law, have been engaged in talks with the Marlins for months about buying the team.

Kushner and Meyer have “devised a complicated arrangement that would include bringing in partners later” in order to buy the franchise, according to the Times.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miam...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)
Now Trump will be involved in MLB through his in-laws. More conflicts of interest...or intrusion of politics into sports.

The New York Times revealed the potential buyer to be Joshua Kushner, a New York City venture capitalist whose older brother Jared is married to Ivanka Trump.

Jared Kushner is senior advisor to President Donald Trump.

But the Times reported that neither Jared Kushner nor his father, Charles Kushner, are involved in ongoing talks to buy the team.

Instead, Joshua Kushner and Joseph Meyer, his brother-in-law, have been engaged in talks with the Marlins for months about buying the team.

Kushner and Meyer have “devised a complicated arrangement that would include bringing in partners later” in order to buy the franchise, according to the Times.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/mlb/miam...l#storylink=cpy

Caulfield, I think you're a great poster, but my god do you know how to derail a thread.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 11, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
Caulfield, I think you're a great poster, but my god do you know how to derail a thread.

Haha, I've gone off the deep end because we just had a three week holiday in China from school.

Too much CSPAN. I think I've been paying more attention to politics in the last three months than last twenty years combined. Luckily, back to normal life on Monday.

As far as Wieters goes, why not? We're not going to compete this year, but we need someone to have a Carlos Quentin 2008 season from out of nowhere (eventually). Abreu in 2014 was it. That said, Wieters has never been able to stay healthy enough to make consistent enough contact to put up his projected numbers, but sooner or later someone's going to have a surprising offensive season (coming from FA)

You can also protect his health by DHing him frequently. It's not like Narvaez or Smith were going to amount to much, anyway.

Edited by caulfield12