Todd and Melky

zisk

It looks like Todd and Melky are getting heated up at the right time.

Odds of either being moved soon? What type of return to expect and will

their departure help the "tank for Beer" quest?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll be positively surprised by the Frazier return. It won't be headlined by a current top 100 prospect type, but either a prospect in the back half of an org's top 10 or a guy who was previously well regarded but has fall out of favor. I think we'll also get a lottery ticket too.

Melky will not return much. I think even just salary relief would be a win with him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:37 AM)
I think we'll be positively surprised by the Frazier return. It won't be headlined by a current top 100 prospect type, but either a prospect in the back half of an org's top 10 or a guy who was previously well regarded but has fall out of favor. I think we'll also get a lottery ticket too.

Melky will not return much. I think even just salary relief would be a win with him.

Frazier quietly has the 12th best overall WAR of any mlb starting third baseman at 1.7. He's striking out less and drawing more walks than before, and has put up his best numbers since June 1st. We have to hope that he has helped his value due to good performance.

I doubt either will bring much back at all. Maybe shoot for a lottery ticket youngster and hope he pans out? The Beer run will probably be enhanced more by moving bullpen pieces. Those guys have saved so many games from going the other way this year.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Frazier quietly has the 12th best overall WAR of any mlb starting third baseman at 1.7. He's striking out less and drawing more walks than before, and has put up his best numbers since June 1st. We have to hope that he has helped his value due to good performance.

I 100% agree and his numbers are still negatively impacted by a low BABIP and not having a real spring training. Frazier is actually a pretty good player still, just can be frustrating to watch at times.

I think if Moustakas is off the market, Frazier should net a decent return. And Boston is my predicted landing spot.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)

Both will be gone by August 1st.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
Hopefully.

Edit: it is now hitting me that that is only 27 days from now. Where has time gone?

There is literally no reason for any player who will be a free agent after this season to stay here. Even if it is just salary relief, there is zero reason for them to be kept.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
I 100% agree and his numbers are still negatively impacted by a low BABIP and not having a real spring training. Frazier is actually a pretty good player still, just can be frustrating to watch at times.

I think if Moustakas is off the market, Frazier should net a decent return. And Boston is my predicted landing spot.

Disagree. Boston really likes their rookie Lin at third. Solid minor league history of hitting, and he has done really well since call up. They should stick with him.

Melky has been a guy that I have been thinking about since last season in-terms of a trade. Upped his average to .291 as of late. I think a team like Milwaukee or St. Louis would really benefit from adding Melky.

Edited by KnightsOnMintSt

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 08:13 AM)

What have you heard?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 5, 2017 -> 10:43 AM)
Based on our minor league position player talent being a couple years away I would strongly consider resigning both

First off, Melky is not a valuable player. I'm a huge fan of the guy's personality, but he doesn't the play the field at an acceptable level anymore. And it's only going to get worse as he ages.

Second, we have multiple in-house replacements for both guys ready to go. Once Moncada is called up, we can choose from Davidson, Sanchez, & Delmoncio at 3B. For LF we can choose from Engel (or Leury), Willy, & Demonico. Why on earth would you want to block these guys with aging veterans?

Based on our minor league position player talent being a couple years away I would strongly consider resigning both

Only reason you would want to bring them back is if you think they will be around for the next playoff team. We're still in a rebuild, no reason to bring them back.

Huh? We are not going to be a competitive team, why resign aging veterans?