My Trade Deadline Plan

GGajewski18

First and foremost I think now is the best time to trade Q. He's pitching a lot better and won't have as much value next off season compared to now. I think it's a given that Robertson is traded, but the rest I've been having some trouble with

Quintana Potential Suitors:

Braves

Brewers

Yankees

Rockies

Astros

Dodgers

I really believe Quintana will be trade to the Yankees for OF Clint Frazier, RHP Chance Adams, and OF Estevan Florial. This trade gives the Sox a top 25 prospect highlighted bat in Frazier, a 2-3 rotation starter in Adams, and Florial about 3 years away and hopefully lock down another OF spot.

Robertson Potential Suitors:

Diamondbacks

Red Sox

Yankees

Nationals

Rangers

I have the Nationals sucking it up admitting their faults and trade for Robertson for SS Carter Kieboom and LHP Jesus Luzardo. This trade gives the Sox much needed prospect depth in the middle infield who has good potential and Luzardo a lefty to fill the pitching pipeline that when healthy can be TOR potential.

Frazier Potential Suitors:

Red Sox

Yankees

Cardinals

With the rumored interest in Donaldson from the Cardinals, I think they could be a great fit for Frazier as he already knows the NL and specifically the NL central. Frazier to the Cards for RHP Jake Woodford

Cabrera Potential Suitors:

Yankees

Royals

I think Melky will be an August trade chip, but I see the Royals as the best fit for him. He has played there before, and they can use another bat and help out in the OF with or replacing the slumping Alex Gordon. Cabrera to the Royals for LHP Foster Griffin.

Holland, and Gonzalez probably won't net much if anything at all so I wouldn't even know where to start. But what are your guys thoughts on mine and what can you come up with?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
First and foremost I think now is the best time to trade Q. He's pitching a lot better and won't have as much value next off season compared to now. I think it's a given that Robertson is traded, but the rest I've been having some trouble with

Quintana Potential Suitors:

Braves

Brewers

Yankees

Rockies

Astros

Dodgers

I really believe Quintana will be trade to the Yankees for OF Clint Frazier, RHP Chance Adams, and OF Estevan Florial. This trade gives the Sox a top 25 prospect highlighted bat in Frazier, a 2-3 rotation starter in Adams, and Florial about 3 years away and hopefully lock down another OF spot.

Robertson Potential Suitors:

Diamondbacks

Red Sox

Yankees

Nationals

Rangers

I have the Nationals sucking it up admitting their faults and trade for Robertson for SS Carter Kieboom and LHP Jesus Luzardo. This trade gives the Sox much needed prospect depth in the middle infield who has good potential and Luzardo a lefty to fill the pitching pipeline that when healthy can be TOR potential.

Frazier Potential Suitors:

Red Sox

Yankees

Cardinals

With the rumored interest in Donaldson from the Cardinals, I think they could be a great fit for Frazier as he already knows the NL and specifically the NL central. Frazier to the Cards for RHP Jake Woodford

Cabrera Potential Suitors:

Yankees

Royals

I think Melky will be an August trade chip, but I see the Royals as the best fit for him. He has played there before, and they can use another bat and help out in the OF with or replacing the slumping Alex Gordon. Cabrera to the Royals for LHP Foster Griffin.

Holland, and Gonzalez probably won't net much if anything at all so I wouldn't even know where to start. But what are your guys thoughts on mine and what can you come up with?

Not bad, but why pitchers? Sox seem to have a lot of pitching prospects if you include Rodon and Fulmer and Rodon has been doing better of late and looks nasty at times. I'd prefer a return of catchers, outfielders and shortstops. We could always move Anderson to third or second if we get some amazing shortstop. Why not all position players in return, especially an elite catcher? I wonder why you include pitching in the return?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)
Not bad, but why pitchers? Sox seem to have a lot of pitching prospects if you include Rodon and Fulmer and Rodon has been doing better of late and looks nasty at times. I'd prefer a return of catchers, outfielders and shortstops. We could always move Anderson to third or second if we get some amazing shortstop. Why not all position players in return, especially an elite catcher? I wonder why you include pitching in the return?

I chose pitchers because I feel like that would be the best deal available for those type of players. You mention an elite catcher, but where would you find one from any of the teams that are interested in our big time players? Severino, backup catcher. Yankees aren't trading Sanchez. Sox are probably also content with Zavala, Collins, and now Skoug in the system.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 02:41 PM)

I agree with almost nothing you say, but definitely agree here. Sox need to add as many positional player prospects as they can. Maybe a nice LHP prospect or two. The rest need to be bats.

I like the proposed Yankee deal in the OP. Looks balanced for both sides. Funny thing is, despite already having talent such as Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer at Charlotte, if the Sox added Adams I think he becomes the #1 for first call up from that group of pitchers. Adams seems to have been flying low on most people's radars but man, the kid looks damn good.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
I like the proposed Yankee deal in the OP. Looks balanced for both sides. Funny thing is, despite already having talent such as Giolito/Lopez/Fulmer at Charlotte, if the Sox added Adams I think he becomes the #1 for first call up from that group of pitchers. Adams seems to have been flying low on most people's radars but man, the kid looks damn good.

Ehh. Pretty sure Lopez will be up before Q is traded.

My Plan.

Trade Avi Garcia, Tommy Kahlne for Adrian Gonzalez, Alex Verdugo, Willie Callhoun, Will Smith and Starling Heredia.

Dodgers Do It:

They get to add depth to their pen which is good but struggled last year in the playoffs. Garcia would provide them with average to above average play in left field with cheap cost. Both Garcia and Kahlne are cost controlled for 2 more years. They get Adrian Gonazalez and his 22 million dollars off of there books for next year and drops them below the luxury tax. Bellinger can stay at his natural position of first base.

White Sox Do It:

They get 2 Top 100 players in Verdugo and Callhoun. Smith probably projects as a decent backup catcher in the future. Heredia is the flyer of the group at 18 years old you really don't know what he will end up being. White Sox have very little committed to 2018 so they could afford to have Gonzalez eating up a good portion of the team salary.

Why It Wont Happen:

JR is not paying that dough for a guy to sit on the bench and drink martinis.

Trade David Robertson for Carter Keiboom and Jesus Luzardo.

Nationals Do It:

Because the Nationals need a closer and he is the best one on the market. The White Sox don't touch any of their untouchables in Robles, Soto or Fedde.

White Sox Do It:

Both players are a ways off from contributing but could be starters in the future. Beyond Moncada the White Sox are pretty bare when it comes to athletic infielders.

Why It Won't Happen:

Because people are idiots. I have seen this proposal from multiple Sox Talkers and yes this should be the price. Kieboom is not even a top 100 prospect yet. This price is more than fare.

Trade Jose Quintana and Todd Frazier plus Cash to Astros for Kyle Tucker, Forest Whitley, Feudis Nova and Frambar Perez.

Astros Do It:

If there is one thing the Astros are lacking it would be another starter for them in the playoffs. Quintana could offer them a starter with cost control for the next 3 years after this one. Frazier makes sense as he could be an alternate to Gurriel, Bregman and Beltran. All three have underperformed this year.

White Sox Do It:

The White Sox get a top 15 prospect in Kyle Tucker and intriguing pitching prospect in Whitley. The other two guys are lottery tickets.

Why It Won't Happen:

The Astros will turn to A's for Gray that will have a lesser asking price even though it will hurt them in the playoffs.

This is what I cam up with the other week and it hold up, I think:

Todd Frazier to LAA for SS Nonie Williams and LHP Jose Suarez

David Robertson to Rangers for 1B Ronald Guzman and IF Yanio Perez

Kahnle to Nationals for SS Carter Kieboom and LHP Tyler Watson

Jose Quintana to NYY for Clint Frazier, Andujar, Florial

Derek Holland to Orioles for who cares

Anthony Swarzak to Seattle Mariners for 3B Joe Rizzo

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 06:41 PM)
My Plan.

Trade Avi Garcia, Tommy Kahlne for Adrian Gonzalez, Alex Verdugo, Willie Callhoun, Will Smith and Starling Heredia.

Dodgers Do It:

They get to add depth to their pen which is good but struggled last year in the playoffs. Garcia would provide them with average to above average play in left field with cheap cost. Both Garcia and Kahlne are cost controlled for 2 more years. They get Adrian Gonazalez and his 22 million dollars off of there books for next year and drops them below the luxury tax. Bellinger can stay at his natural position of first base.

White Sox Do It:

They get 2 Top 100 players in Verdugo and Callhoun. Smith probably projects as a decent backup catcher in the future. Heredia is the flyer of the group at 18 years old you really don't know what he will end up being. White Sox have very little committed to 2018 so they could afford to have Gonzalez eating up a good portion of the team salary.

Why It Wont Happen:

Nationals Do It:

Because the Nationals need a closer and he is the best one on the market. The White Sox don't touch any of their untouchables in Robles, Soto or Fedde.

White Sox Do It:

Both players are a ways off from contributing but could be starters in the future. Beyond Moncada the White Sox are pretty bare when it comes to athletic infielders.

Why It Won't Happen:

Because people are idiots. I have seen this proposal from multiple Sox Talkers and yes this should be the price. Kieboom is not even a top 100 prospect yet. This price is more than fare.

Trade Jose Quintana and Todd Frazier plus Cash to Astros for Kyle Tucker, Forest Whitley, Feudis Nova and Frambar Perez.

Astros Do It:

If there is one thing the Astros are lacking it would be another starter for them in the playoffs. Quintana could offer them a starter with cost control for the next 3 years after this one. Frazier makes sense as he could be an alternate to Gurriel, Bregman and Beltran. All three have underperformed this year.

White Sox Do It:

The White Sox get a top 15 prospect in Kyle Tucker and intriguing pitching prospect in Whitley. The other two guys are lottery tickets.

Why It Won't Happen:

The Astros will turn to A's for Gray that will have a lesser asking price even though it will hurt them in the playoffs.

Well done post. All these trades are actually pretty fair. The Nationals trade is the same one I proposed and can't believe the Nationals would pass on that price.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 03:39 PM)

I'm totally with you on Adams. I'd LOVE to see him here somehow. Of all the top arms in MiLB...he seems like a very safe bet to be really good. The "Andrew Benintendi" of pitching prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
Quintana & Swarzak to the Yankees for Frazier, Adams, Andujar, & Abreu

Robertson & cash to the Nationals for Kieboom & Luzardo

Frazier to the Red Sox for Chatham

Melky for lottery ticket & some salary relief

I like this overall plan, specifically the Yankees trade. It's realistic and fair. If for whatever reason the Yankees aren't biting, I would do

Quintana to the Dodgers for Verdugo, Buehler and Calhoun or Diaz.

I would try to hold out for Gavin Lux to be added as a throw in, since he could be a nice buy low guy, but in any case, I think both sides make this deal. The Dodgers are in position to withstand losing those good but not "untouchable" types, and are definitely built to win the World Series. Verdugo's contact and hit skill would be a nice complement to the more "dynamic" hitters the Sox have in the pipeline.

On the second trade, I would try to entice the Nationals to do a Soto deal by packaging Kahnle with Robertson. Their bullpen is so awful, they might entertain the idea of a two-front upgrade. If they balk at that, Kieboom and Luzardo seems fair for Robertson alone.

I think Frazier ultimately goes to the Cardinals, and Melky to the Rays.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
I'm totally with you on Adams. I'd LOVE to see him here somehow. Of all the top arms in MiLB...he seems like a very safe bet to be really good. The "Andrew Benintendi" of pitching prospects.

Adams is putting up some really nice numbers this season between AA-AAA. If Q goes to the Yanks I hope Adams is in the deal.

I also like Whitley and Perez from Houston as well as Soroka and Allard from the Braves. Whitley and Perez especially.

I like Adams but I would not say he is the safest pitching prospect in minors. He is a recently converted reliever that has taken to starting really well, but there is still questions if he will have the stuff/stamina for 3rd time through the order. I like him a lot and would be happy to get him, but there is risk with him - as all pitching prospects.

My Plan.

Dodgers Do It:

White Sox Do It:

Why It Wont Happen:

Nationals Do It:

White Sox Do It:

Why It Won't Happen:

Astros Do It:

White Sox Do It:

Why It Won't Happen:

Great post, great format.

I just don't think the Astros like Quintana.

The Dodgers one is interesting but I'm skeptical sox would ever eat money like that. If sox got a return like that for Avi though that would be amazing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
Great post, great format.

I just don't think the Astros like Quintana.

The Dodgers one is interesting but I'm skeptical sox would ever eat money like that. If sox got a return like that for Avi though that would be amazing.

I like the ideas, except the Sox taking on Gonzalez and his $22 million. I don't think ownership wants to spend over $20 million on one player while rebuilding.

Should be a fun deadline for the Sox.

Tucker + Whitley + Nova + Valdez is actually a well thought out offer. It's a good blend of upside, but also likely a price that the Astros might find reasonable. They have a pretty deep farm that could absorb the loss of those prospects.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (kwill @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 05:41 PM)
My Plan.

Dodgers Do It:

White Sox Do It:

Why It Wont Happen:

Nationals Do It:

White Sox Do It:

Why It Won't Happen:

Astros Do It:

White Sox Do It:

Why It Won't Happen:

Adrian Gonzalez likely to retire...if his health issues don't improve. Would be a mini nightmare if he just soaked up payroll.

Edited by caulfield12

My Plan.

Really enjoyed reading your well-constructed analysis.

My Plan that I think is realistic (assuming Sox trade with only top 12 or so organizations)

Trade Q for a MLB top 20-50, 1 MLB 50-100, 1 in an org's 5-10 range and one 10-15.

Trade Robertson for 1 org 5-10 and 1 10-15

Trade Frazier for 1 org. 10-15

Trade Swarzak for 1 org 10-15

Trade Melky for a lottery ticket on a waiver deal.

Pitching prospects are fine throughout, if necessary. Can always trade them - that's how the Sox got Eaton. Everyone seems to want to build via position prospects, so there may be more excess value in pitching prospects (see Eaton Deal #2).

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 08:52 AM)
Really enjoyed reading your well-constructed analysis.

My Plan that I think is realistic (assuming Sox trade with only top 12 or so organizations)

Trade Q for a MLB top 20-50, 1 MLB 50-100, 1 in an org's 5-10 range and one 10-15.

Trade Robertson for 1 org 5-10 and 1 10-15

Trade Frazier for 1 org. 10-15

Trade Swarzak for 1 org 10-15

Trade Melky for a lottery ticket on a waiver deal.

Pitching prospects are fine throughout, if necessary. Can always trade them - that's how the Sox got Eaton. Everyone seems to want to build via position prospects, so there may be more excess value in pitching prospects (see Eaton Deal #2).

Why not before 8/1? Melky can be claimed by a team not that serious about acquiring him in hopes of Sox just let him go for nothing.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
Why not before 8/1? Melky can be claimed by a team not that serious about acquiring him in hopes of Sox just let him go for nothing.

I seriously doubt anyone claims Melky as they'd be on the hook for roughly $5M. The Sox will need to eat some money to move him IMO. And honestly, I think teams will explore better all-around options before the Aug 1st deadline. Teams that miss out and still need an OF or bat will then turn to guys like Melky.

The way I look at it for Q, is there are a couple teams I could realistically see him going to, and each one of those teams has at least one player they would HAVE to give up if they want Q.

Yankees: Frazier OR Torres

Brewers: Brinson

Astros: Tucker

Braves: Albies

Red Sox: Devers

Cubs: Jimenez OR Happ

Rockies: Rodgers

Cardinals: Reyes AND Kelley

Probably nothing gets done if these teams aren't willing to give up those guys. We saw how firm teams stood with their top guys in regards to a Chris Sale trade, so if a Q trade goes down, I'll be very interested to see the pieces.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)
The way I look at it for Q, is there are a couple teams I could realistically see him going to, and each one of those teams has at least one player they would HAVE to give up if they want Q.

Yankees: Frazier OR Torres

Brewers: Brinson

Astros: Tucker

Braves: Albies

Red Sox: Devers

Cubs: Jimenez OR Happ

Rockies: Rodgers

Cardinals: Reyes AND Kelley

Probably nothing gets done if these teams aren't willing to give up those guys. We saw how firm teams stood with their top guys in regards to a Chris Sale trade, so if a Q trade goes down, I'll be very interested to see the pieces.

As much as I would love Torres, I just don't see the Yankees trading him. Frazier on the other hand, I think can go.