Brad Hand

bmags

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/brad-hand

Hand is getting quite a bit of suitors for the Padres.

What info, if any, would sox learn for any of our own relievers? Is he a comp for Kahnle?

Padres are getting a lot of bites on their cheap starters like Cahill. So wish that Holland/MiGo could have sustained what they were doing.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:09 AM)

What info, if any, would sox learn for any of our own relievers? Is he a comp for Kahnle?

Padres are getting a lot of bites on their cheap starters like Cahill. So wish that Holland/MiGo could have sustained what they were doing.

Wait a sec...I thought you didn't like player comps!? ; )

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:12 AM)
Wait a sec...I thought you didn't like player comps!? ; )

Ha, as a BENCHMARK for Kahnle return. I don't like player comps anymore.

Except for the Eloy as Jermaine Dye.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:09 AM)

Padres were reportedly asking about Clint Frazier and Gleyber Torres...which is not happening

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)

Realistically, a guy like Hand should get 1 Top 50-100 prospect and 1 more decent prospect (organizational top 20) in return. The ask can be higher, but I doubt they get a Miller/Chapman level return.

Kahnle is interesting as his peripherals are outstanding this season, but the track record is not great. Relievers are getting to be very valuable trade chips now, as 7th/8th innings in the playoffs are seen as crucial to success.

Will a team like the Nationals be willing to part with significant prospects for relief? They likely will have to.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
Realistically, a guy like Hand should get 1 Top 50-100 prospect and 1 more decent prospect (organizational top 20) in return. The ask can be higher, but I doubt they get a Miller/Chapman level return.

Kahnle is interesting as his peripherals are outstanding this season, but the track record is not great. Relievers are getting to be very valuable trade chips now, as 7th/8th innings in the playoffs are seen as crucial to success.

Will a team like the Nationals be willing to part with significant prospects for relief? They likely will have to.

I'd be inclined to hold Kahnle, and let him close for a year. There's some risk that he disintegrates, but it's worth the risk, imv.

Hand will be interesting.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
I'd be inclined to hold Kahnle, and let him close for a year. There's some risk that he disintegrates, but it's worth the risk, imv.

Hand will be interesting.

I thought that way for a bit, but then I realized that you should always trade relievers if the offer is solid. Pen arms are so volatile, I'd try to sell high on Kahnle and get a team to make a good offer.

If packaging some combination of Robertson/Kahnle/Swarzak together boosts the return, I absolutely would do it. Remember, we are actively trying to tank and lose games now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
The Sox asked for the same two players to get a Quintana package going. Who would you rather have... Brad Hand or Jose Quintana?

I don't blame the Padres for a high ask considering how few quality relief options exist on the market right now.

Hand/Robertson/Kahnle/Swarzak/Madson/Neshek/Doolittle/Wilson

Ramos?

Doubt Iglesias gets dealt

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)

I gotchya! Had to give you crap. I like them from the standpoint of comparing stat lines with others who have accomplished the same type of line. The Kahnle/Hand comp is a good value comp for sure. He may actually choose to move Kahnle first and let our return set the market for Hand accordingly. One thing we are learning...Rick likes the driver's seat--and understandably so.

And yeah, the JD comp--I totally see it.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
I don't want to keep Kahnle. Between what happened with Jesse Crain and now Nate Jones, I'd rather just get it done. With Kahnle we have to worry about both regression and health.

I'd like to move him as well, but would need a quality return. Robertson will certainly go first though.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
I thought that way for a bit, but then I realized that you should always trade relievers if the offer is solid. Pen arms are so volatile, I'd try to sell high on Kahnle and get a team to make a good offer.

If packaging some combination of Robertson/Kahnle/Swarzak together boosts the return, I absolutely would do it. Remember, we are actively trying to tank and lose games now.

I just don't think he'll bring a whole lot. It would be someone like Almonte or maybe a little more

That would be a break-even...for someone who's improved 1000% this year (just by throwing strikes).

I'm willing to risk it.

Plus, as Dick pointed out somewhere, the Sox don't have much to trade after. Keep an asset or 2 and see how things look in a year.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
We will not have the actual top chip for next trades, but the good news is we set good prices for the top chips to follow so we can still get a good haul as the plan b or cs.

Yeah, hopefully the Pads insist on that huge return and we can slide under them as a more reasonable (but still good) option.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 08:10 AM)
That should exactly be the plan, especially if Baltimore puts Britton on the market.

I would really like to get some of these deals done today, on our off day. I know it is probably a small consideration, but it might be easier for everyone without the hugwatch bs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)
I would really like to get some of these deals done today, on our off day. I know it is probably a small consideration, but it might be easier for everyone without the hugwatch bs.

I'm torn. We could be served well if we become the option for the "me too" teams, reacting to the upgrades being added to the teams they are competing with for playoffs.

But I've liked what we've gotten by moving first, and you never know how many teams could just decide to bow out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 17, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
I'm torn. We could be served well if we become the option for the "me too" teams, reacting to the upgrades being added to the teams they are competing with for playoffs.

But I've liked what we've gotten by moving first, and you never know how many teams could just decide to bow out.

I'm pretty concerned the market will be flooded with relievers by the 31st. There should also be a ton of teams with bullpen needs, but I'm not expecting the best seller's market. I really think it would be to our benefit to move fast while prices are still ridiculously high.