Abreu

harfman77

From earlier this summer on mlbtr:

Even though White Sox first baseman Jose Abreu could serve as a mentor to fellow Cubans Yoan Moncada and Luis Robert, they’re not necessarily inclined to keep Abreu, relays Rosenthal.

Sounds like Abreu could be dealt in the right deal, though with Alonso, Hosmer, Cabrera and allegedly Belt on the market, there are a lot of options.

Possible teams with interest in Abreu:

Boston - Moreland started off the year well and has hit a wall. They could really use an offensive upgrade.

Houston - The Correa injury opens an opprtunity here. With Correa hurt, they could move Bregman to SS, Guriel back to his traditional 3B and slide Abreu in at 1B the rest of the season. When Correa returns they use Bregman as a UTL the rest of the season and Abreu slides into the DH role next year.

St Louis - Cardinals have infield issues, acquiring Abreu fits their budget and allows Carpenter to move across to the hot corner while providing a massive offensive upgrade.

Tampa- They are in contention and could use another bat and Abreu would give them a huge upgrade to what they have had from Miller as the DH.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
I presume we won't get the type of offer we'd like to move Jose.

I agree. He's worth more to the White Sox than other teams. I think it's a good idea to keep a vet or 2 around anyways. Last time the Sox totally rebuilt like this, they kept Carlton Fisk around even though he was 40ish. When they White Flagged it, they kept several guys around.

We will see. A lot happens in a few months. But Hahn sort of made it clear last night, this year and next season are the tank years, then the winning is supposed to commence. Hopefully the prospects make that a reality.

Edited by Dick Allen

Unless someone gives up nice value for Abreu (which would be unlikely in this market), I have no problem keeping him and possibly even extending him. Not sure what the financials would look like, but I kind of like the idea of him as our DH and anchoring our lineup for the next four years or so with all the youngsters expected to come up.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:51 AM)
Unless someone gives up nice value for Abreu (which would be unlikely in this market), I have no problem keeping him and possibly even extending him. Not sure what the financials would look like, but I kind of like the idea of him as our DH and anchoring our lineup for the next four years or so with all the youngsters expected to come up.

You have concerns about Avi's weight, but not Abreu's?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
I agree. He's worth more to the White Sox than other teams. I think it's a good idea to keep a vet or 2 around anyways. Last time the Sox totally rebuilt like this, they kept Carlton Fisk around even though he was 40ish. When they White Flagged it, they kept several guys around.

We will see. A lot happens in a few months. But Hahn sort of made it clear last night, this year and next season are the tank years, then the winning is supposed to commence. Hopefully the prospects make that a reality.

I'd still say that is probably an aggressive timeline, given how much of a deep gutting / cleansing we are doing. SO many guys that are in A-ball. I tend to view the window more as this year / next year we are bad (and probably bottoming out from a major league wins perspective) and then we start to truly see the infusion of talents and the needle pointing upwards (reality is this probably starts at some point during 2nd half of next season where some guys have truly emerged as building blocks).

Please note I don't yet count anyone in the minors as a "building block"...it takes actually showing the flashes at the big league level before I move my definition to that category.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
You have concerns about Avi's weight, but not Abreu's?

I want Abreu to be our full-time DH, so yeah, I'm more concerned with Avi because he has to play the field. And why it might not be the reason, Avi suddenly becoming a productive hitter after losing 18 pounds gives me concern that his playing weight has a direct impact on his offensive ability. Perhaps I should have a similar concern about Abreu, but he also has a pretty good track record with his hitting.

I'd keep Jose around. He wants to be here, he's a good player, his contract isn't absurd and he will be a positive influence on the young guys. Unless someone makes a stupid good offer for him (they won't), he's worth more to our organization as a member rather than a trade chip

I'd definitely move him if there are strong offers. A little difficult to imagine there being a market that would pay the price, however.

Would certainly improve the 17 and 18 tanking efforts. I'd love to get Reed from the Stros as the second piece. But can't even think who else we'd want with him. We aren't getting Tucker or Martes and don't have a ton of interest in other guys. Not sure I'd love a Fischer + Reed package, but that might be a realistic offer.

Rockies are interesting.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
I'd definitely move him if there are strong offers. A little difficult to imagine there being a market that would pay the price, however.

Would certainly improve the 17 and 18 tanking efforts. I'd love to get Reed from the Stros as the second piece. But can't even think who else we'd want with him. We aren't getting Tucker or Martes and don't have a ton of interest in other guys. Not sure I'd love a Fischer + Reed package, but that might be a realistic offer.

Rockies are interesting.

Gurriel has not been as good as Abreu this season at 1b for the Stros, but he hasn't been bad. 0.8 fWAR for Gurriel versus 1.6 fWAR for Abreu. And they have no DH spot open as Beltran is being paid for that job. Abreu would be an upgrade there, but they're not benching their expensive DH.

They aren't giving up Tucker or Martes for those upgrades. They need starting pitching help, but they'll convince themselves they don't once Keuchel gets back. Then someone else will get hurt in a few weeks and they'll convince themselves they can get through that, and it'll bite them in the a** come playoff time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 08:57 PM)
Gurriel has not been as good as Abreu this season at 1b for the Stros, but he hasn't been bad. 0.8 fWAR for Gurriel versus 1.6 fWAR for Abreu. And they have no DH spot open as Beltran is being paid for that job. Abreu would be an upgrade there, but they're not benching their expensive DH.

They aren't giving up Tucker or Martes for those upgrades. They need starting pitching help, but they'll convince themselves they don't once Keuchel gets back. Then someone else will get hurt in a few weeks and they'll convince themselves they can get through that, and it'll bite them in the a** come playoff time.

Bregman SS, Gurriel 3B, Abreu 1B

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
Correa is not out for long enough to make that reasonable, especially when their replacement SS, Marwin Gonzalez, has massively outhit Abreu.

Reasonable? Marwin Gonzalez is not a SS, though he can play there. They need a DH next year. Abreu is a huge upgrade on Beltran. There is definitely a fit there. Not saying the Astros are interested, but its not all that far fetched to think that they would be.