A Swarzak + Melky package to a contender

TheFutureIsNear

Both free agents and pretty good chance neither will be on the team next year. Makes sense to package them to a playoff contender looking for an extra push without giving up top prospects. 1 team that seems like a good match is the rays. They are known to be looking for bullpen help and have some combo of Bourjous, Brad Miller, and Trevor Ploufe at DH currently after the Rasmus deal went horribly wrong. If we chipped in a little $ I think we could get a pretty good prospect back from them because they are deep in the minors. Justin Williams, Jesus Sanchez, or Lucious Fox would suffice as headliners to me + another pitcher in the 25-35 prospect range sound like enough? Too much? Any other teams make sense?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 08:33 PM)
Both free agents and pretty good chance neither will be on the team next year. Makes sense to package them to a playoff contender looking for an extra push without giving up top prospects. 1 team that seems like a good match is the rays. They are known to be looking for bullpen help and have some combo of Bourjous, Brad Miller, and Trevor Ploufe at DH currently after the Rasmus deal went horribly wrong. If we chipped in a little $ I think we could get a pretty good prospect back from them because they are deep in the minors. Justin Williams, Jesus Sanchez, or Lucious Fox would suffice as headliners to me + another pitcher in the 25-35 prospect range sound like enough? Too much? Any other teams make sense?

I don't see the Sox paying any $$ so that's probably an unrealistic return

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 10:42 PM)
I don't see the Sox paying any $$ so that's probably an unrealistic return

The Sox aren't paying money while trading Quintana to the Cubs or while trading with the Yankees, but that doesn't mean that if they are trading with the Rays, they can't.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)
The Sox aren't paying money while trading Quintana to the Cubs or while trading with the Yankees, but that doesn't mean that if they are trading with the Rays, they can't.

They likely could have increased prospect return by doing so with the Yanks. I think they'll dump Melky to whoever saves them the most coin. I hope to be wrong about that.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)
They likely could have increased prospect return by doing so with the Yanks. I think they'll dump Melky to whoever saves them the most coin. I hope to be wrong about that.

I seriously doubt the Yankees are going to give up better than what we got from them for a few bucks. We're talking about the Yankees. They can't even bluff cheap and you know that.

We picked up one contract from them and cleared a roster spot for them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)

Why did the Yankees the need the cash? They're going to be way below the luxury tax next year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 22, 2017 -> 11:43 PM)

Yeah and really what are we talking about? $4-5M? Melky probably has about 7ish mil left on his deal and swarzak makes peanuts. I don't see $4M that we were going to have to pay Melky anyway being the hold up of getting a good prospect back. At least I really hope not.

Melky,Swarzak and Saladino for Jorge Soler. Royals need a bat a reliever and a shortstop.

Alcides is really bad at the plate. If Soler does OK in left for the Sox he could help a bit. I'd hate

to lose Tyler but his back probably will get worse with age.

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 06:48 PM)
Melky,Swarzak and Saladino for Jorge Soler. Royals need a bat a reliever and a shortstop.

Alcides is really bad at the plate. If Soler does OK in left for the Sox he could help a bit. I'd hate

to lose Tyler but his back probably will get worse with age.

If you are trading those three to the Royals, get Bubba Starling and call it a day, not Soler. Royals would probably throw in Soler as they desperately want to get rid of him, if you must have Soler for some reason. Saladino is a way better hitter than Soler and Saladino is no good.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
The only thing Soler has shown is that he cannot hit MLB pitching. The Jorge Soler of today is not the same highly touted prospect a few years ago. The Royals can keep him.

I have no problem giving guys who were "highly touted prospects who cannot hit big league pitching" a chance to fill a role next year. I do have a problem with giving things up for them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 03:49 PM)
I have no problem giving guys who were "highly touted prospects who cannot hit big league pitching" a chance to fill a role next year. I do have a problem with giving things up for them.

Agreed. I can see a swap of 4A players but I'd hope for a better return from Swarzak/Jennings/Saladino than Soler.

I would swap Jacob May for Soler. :D

Anybody else surprised by the general attitude towards Melky's trade value in the media? I'm not suggesting he has a ton of value and should net us a top 100 prospect, but I keep reading that he has pretty much 0 value. Mlbtraderumors had an article about tradeable Of'ers and suggested we'd have to pay all of Melky's contract just to be able to get rid of him. Am I missing something? He's top 14 in OPS among AL Of'ers (and that's including a slow 1st 100 ab's) and isn't THAT bad in the field. I definitely wouldnt call him good in the field, but he's not an absolute butcher in the field that hurts the team either. He's a flat out professional hitter that can give really good AB's to most contenders for the rest of the season in my opinion. Or am I wrong on this? And I'm usually more pesimistic about sox players than most.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
Anybody else surprised by the general attitude towards Melky's trade value in the media? I'm not suggesting he has a ton of value and should net us a top 100 prospect, but I keep reading that he has pretty much 0 value. Mlbtraderumors had an article about tradeable Of'ers and suggested we'd have to pay all of Melky's contract just to be able to get rid of him. Am I missing something? He's top 14 in OPS among AL Of'ers (and that's including a slow 1st 100 ab's) and isn't THAT bad in the field. I definitely wouldnt call him good in the field, but he's not an absolute butcher in the field that hurts the team either. He's a flat out professional hitter that can give really good AB's to most contenders for the rest of the season in my opinion. Or am I wrong on this? And I'm usually more pesimistic about sox players than most.

He's had a good year for him no doubt about it. He'd probably be good to sign on a minimum deal for next season since Sox are still in midst of rebuild. Nobody's going to sign him for real money. Give him MLB veteran minimum and let him patrol left one more year as Sox lose. I now love the Melkster ever since he continued playing after taking that ball in the face, but nobody else is gonna pay him either.

What's the MLB minimum anyway? One year, $2 mill contract?

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)

Look at what JD Martinez brought back and get back to me.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)

Not really. Melky is a solid bat. But he is below average in the OF and is paid like a star. If the Sox pick up the whole tab, they may get someone who has a chance to be a big leaguer someday, but there just isn't going to be much of a market.

A much better player in JD Martinez just got a pretty awful return last week. To expect more for Melky is nuts, though I wouldn't put it past Hahn.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 12:07 AM)
He's 32, not 42.

He's batting .295, is posting a positive WAR and is a respected veteran who is good in the clubhouse.

Saying he is going to sign somewhere for the minimum is absolutely ridiculous.

I could see him getting another deal very similar to his current one. Not too sure what the FA OF market will be but 3/42 seems reasonable.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 12:07 AM)
He's 32, not 42.

He's batting .295, is posting a positive WAR and is a respected veteran who is good in the clubhouse.

Saying he is going to sign somewhere for the minimum is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree. The Melky hate is ridiculous. He's not a great defender, but he's been pretty good offensively and as you said he's a good clubhouse guy. I could see him signing for a 3 year deal worth $12-$14 million per. The Sox won't, as that wouldn't fit with their rebuilding plans. But someone will.

I like Melky and all, but I don't see him getting a 3 year deal worth $12-14 mill/year. If he is that valuable, a team would have jumped on him by now. I think he gets a year deal with an option from someone (I wouldn't mind it being the Sox as he could DH and play LF occasionally).

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 05:05 AM)
Yeah, no way Melky gets anything close to his previous contract with us. My guess is he gets a one year deal for $7M to $10M.

I think it may be somewhere in between, but you may be right.

The pendulum has swung really hard towards prospects and opportunity costs - it has really hurt veterans like Melky. He is still a pretty solid bat, but just maybe not solid enough to make someone give him a full-time spot in their OF.

Maybe 2/18 is my guess.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
I think it may be somewhere in between, but you may be right.

The pendulum has swung really hard towards prospects and opportunity costs - it has really hurt veterans like Melky. He is still a pretty solid bat, but just maybe not solid enough to make someone give him a full-time spot in their OF.

Maybe 2/18 is my guess.

See, I think someone will give him an everyday shot, but will be skeptical to go multiple years with him. Two years is a possibility I guess, but would probably have to be an AL team that could move to DH in 2019 if necessary.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 07:20 AM)
See, I think someone will give him an everyday shot, but will be skeptical to go multiple years with him. Two years is a possibility I guess, but would probably have to be an AL team that could move to DH in 2019 if necessary.

I think he could make sense for a team like the Yankees next season. They can probably get him on a one year deal. They would have Gardner in LF (he could be traded and it could be Frazier however), Ellsbury in CF, Judge in RF and they could DH Melky and give him occasional starts in the OF.