2016 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arden Zwelling ‏@ArdenZwelling 39m39 minutes ago

Two weeks ago Jose Bautista told the Blue Jays front office the dollar amount and term is would take to re-sign him. Hasn't heard back since

The Blue Jays attempted to negotiate with Bautista's terms but he told them not to waste their time

Bautista: "I'm not willing to negotiate. I don't think there should be any negotiation. I think I've proven myself." #BlueJays

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
Doug Padilla ‏@DougPadilla 1m1 minute ago Phoenix, AZ

Puig, Chapman, Reyes domestic abuse cases on commissioner's docket. Manfred said here in PHX discipline on 2 of 3 coming soon.

probably not happening, but I wonder if Dodgers are waiting on a Puig ruling before moving an outfielder

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 05:50 PM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 5m5 minutes ago

Blue Jays Could Trade For Jay Bruce http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/blue...-jay-bruce.html

Jays don't make sense for another outfielder they said...no way they try to add another outfielder they said...

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 09:47 AM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 58m58 minutes ago

Agent: Cliff Lee Not Expected To Pitch In 2016 http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/agen...ch-in-2016.html

It's interesting to look back at that contract. With the buyout, they paid him $37.5 million in 2015 & 2016 to not throw a single pitch. But overall the Phillies paid him $120 million. From 2011-2014 he was worth 19.2 WAR, which according to FG was worth a total of $138.7 million. They made the playoffs in 2011 too. He was very good when he did pitch, especially the first three years of the deal, I don't think the Phillies should have too much regret on that deal.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
I think the first three years make sense, and if he hits the free agent market, he would get it.

With the limited resources on the FA market this offseason, basically all he has to do is stay healthy and have one good season.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
How would you like to owe this guy $80 million the next 4 years?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbxRaiNWEAA6d2k.jpg

Yikes.

That is a professional athlete?

Good for Boston. They've earned it.

The Boston Globe ‎@BostonGlobe

“No, I don’t got nothing to prove,” Pablo Sandoval said when he arrived at spring training http://bos.gl/HdnPD4i

Talk about an appropriate use of the double negative.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Feb 26, 2016 -> 08:16 AM)
One more rule I'd like to see: Relief pitchers must either face a minimum of two batters or finish an inning. That would help cut back on the number of commercial breaks for pitching changes.

I don't like that idea. You are literally taking game strategy out of the manager's hands. Telling them how quickly to do an action is completely different than telling them they can/can't do a certain action.

I find it hard to believe David Freese is still looking for work with the shortage of 3B in the league. He is not the greatest but has put up over a 2.0 WAR the last couple of years. His price has to be pretty reasonable at this point.

I wonder if he could play RF?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 28, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
I find it hard to believe David Freese is still looking for work with the shortage of 3B in the league. He is not the greatest but has put up over a 2.0 WAR the last couple of years. His price has to be pretty reasonable at this point.

I'm surprised as well. I was thinking to myself that Freese would sign with Cleveland but they with Uribe instead. I would have taken Freese over Uribe but I imagine Cleveland went with the cheaper option in Uribe.