White Sox Winner

Chisoxfn

Ho hum another 10 run game from the offensive juggernauts that are the 2017 Chicago White Sox.

Would be nice if my AAP Leury Garcia keeps up the good hitting. According to this article on whitesox.com http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/226...against-royals/ Leury has changed his approach and garnered some baseball smarts on making contact and situational hitting.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 02:31 AM)
Ho hum another 10 run game from the offensive juggernauts that are the 2017 Chicago White Sox.

Would be nice if my AAP Leury Garcia keeps up the good hitting. According to this article on whitesox.com http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/226...against-royals/ Leury has changed his approach and garnered some baseball smarts on making contact and situational hitting.

It just amazes me how much the ball is jumping off of his bat this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
It just amazes me how much the ball is jumping off of his bat this year.

Up until this year, he seemed overmatched at the Major League level. Thus far this year, he seems like he has a chance up at the plate. Hope he can keep it up, because he's looking pretty good all-around at the moment.

I look at their team stats and mutter to myself "who the heck is this team???"

A lot of positive development from positions we will need next year, and if Davidson and Garcia emerge with solid progress, if Holland and Gonzalez are solid #3s and Rodon can come back healthy and strong we are looking at being a couple position players away from being in real contention. Lot of ifs I know, but something is different about the culture this year.

I only wonder if our record ends up being too good this year to get the draft pick we need.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
I look at their team stats and mutter to myself "who the heck is this team???"

A lot of positive development from positions we will need next year, and if Davidson and Garcia emerge with solid progress, if Holland and Gonzalez are solid #3s and Rodon can come back healthy and strong we are looking at being a couple position players away from being in real contention. Lot of ifs I know, but something is different about the culture this year.

I only wonder if our record ends up being too good this year to get the draft pick we need.

The royals are slumping badly and are 2-8 in their last ten games

The team is currently playing decently enough, but I think the pitching will come back to earth a bit. The bullpen has been totally lights out and mediocre starters like Gonzalez, Shields and Holland have been pretty fortunate

I'll never complain abotu winning games though, the sooner we get back to contention, the better. I'm just seeing too many question marks and holes for this team to be a real contender.

A culture change is not a bad thing though. Renteria is a solid manager, but was never given a chance once Maddon became available

Fans are looking for excuses concerning their last place prediction for this years White Sox. Let me suggest some that I use..

Renteria is one of the best while Ventura may have been the worst Manager in MLB. Leury Garcia was a largely unknown commodity and nit used properly last season. This year he looks good as a CF (glove and arm) and as a switch hitter. No one predicted Avi Garcia would have the kind of sustained success he has had thus far. Sale only started on out of every five games, and he didn't win 'em all.

No Matt Albers in the bullpen this year. Swarczak has been lights out, Holland and Shields have been decent.

Our catchers have been a plus offensively and defensively.

I think tanking is off the table, at least for now.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
Fans are looking for excuses concerning their last place prediction for this years White Sox. Let me suggest some that I use..

Renteria is one of the best while Ventura may have been the worst Manager in MLB. Leury Garcia was a largely unknown commodity and nit used properly last season. This year he looks good as a CF (glove and arm) and as a switch hitter. No one predicted Avi Garcia would have the kind of sustained success he has had thus far. Sale only started on out of every five games, and he didn't win 'em all.

No Matt Albers in the bullpen this year. Swarczak has been lights out, Holland and Shields have been decent.

Our catchers have been a plus offensively and defensively.

I think tanking is off the table, at least for now.

Albers was lights out at this time last year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
Albers was lights out at this time last year.

I guess you missed the point of the post. Well OK the White Sox might go into a season long dive like last year and Swarzek might blow up like Albers.

That is one way to look at it. My own view is that our bullpen is deeper this year than last, there are reinforcements available in the minors that we didn't have last year, and most importantly, Renteria actually knows how to use a bullpen. This is a different Manager, a different team, and a different season. My own opinion is that the Sox are better right now than they were at the same time last season, regardless of the record or Matt Albers.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 26, 2017 -> 09:33 PM)
I guess you missed the point of the post. Well OK the White Sox might go into a season long dive like last year and Swarzek might blow up like Albers.

That is one way to look at it. My own view is that our bullpen is deeper this year than last, there are reinforcements available in the minors that we didn't have last year, and most importantly, Renteria actually knows how to use a bullpen. This is a different Manager, a different team, and a different season. My own opinion is that the Sox are better right now than they were at the same time last season, regardless of the record or Matt Albers.

No I got the point. It's just that all of your points are based on the first 20 games. At this times last year the Sox had a better record than the cubs and Matt Albers could not be scored upon. In other words don't count on these Sox being any better than last year because it's too early and the same thing could happen. It may not but it's far to early to make the claims that you're making.