Ventura on his job status

southsider2k5

I love his quote.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2015041...orts/150419491/

"People act like you don't care because you don't stomp up and down," Ventura said. "That's not going to happen with me. There are times when you go out and argue and do things like that. But stomping up and down just to stomp up and down ... it always reminds me about being a lawyer.

"If you're a lawyer and you have the evidence, use the evidence. If you have the law, use the law. If you have nothing, just pound the table. I'm not going to just pound the table. A lot of this job is what your convictions are and what you believe in. I believe I'm the right guy and we'll move on."

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)

i like the comment. you don't need to be really animated to to show you care or anything.

reminds me of the old coach Tom Landry of the Dal Cowboys. no one ever saw him crack a smile, whether he was winning or loosing. never showed any emotions. but no one question his ability to coach.

i have been a big backer of RV and went against the masses. let see how he does with this team.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
Any criticism of Ventura I have isn't about screaming in the dugout or his outward emotions.

The media seems to want to go that way because that's what they do.

This, completely.

You can have accountability without the outward fire and throwing players under the bus. But when I read that Robin is "fine" with Jose's terrible baserunning the other day, apparently in the name of good aggressiveness, I wonder if the details are being managed properly.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 11:03 AM)
This, completely.

You can have accountability without the outward fire and throwing players under the bus. But when I read that Robin is "fine" with Jose's terrible baserunning the other day, apparently in the name of good aggressiveness, I wonder if the details are being managed properly.

One thing to remember about Robin is that he isn't going to show a guy up in the media, but he will take care of them in the lockerroom. There are stories about Robin laying into guys both as a player and a manager that aren't well publicized.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
One thing to remember about Robin is that he isn't going to show a guy up in the media, but he will take care of them in the lockerroom. There are stories about Robin laying into guys both as a player and a manager that aren't well publicized.

Then I expect to see some of the stupid mistakes that have defined this team for the past 2+ years on the field to gradually stop. Otherwise, I will continue to judge the corrective techniques being applied to be ineffective.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Then I expect to see some of the stupid mistakes that have defined this team for the past 2+ years on the field to gradually stop. Otherwise, I will continue to judge the corrective techniques being applied to be ineffective.

yup

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:57 AM)
Any criticism of Ventura I have isn't about screaming in the dugout or his outward emotions.

The media seems to want to go that way because that's what they do.

Well there was the guy at Soxfest who actually asked him if he had a pulse. There are many posts on here criticizing his demeanor.

There have been posts saying he doesn't even want to manage. His lack of jumping up and down has been a huge issue for fans everywhere, including here.

We are only 3 or 4 days away removed from the team taking on the personality of it's manager posts, and it wasn't meant positively.

People just want to criticize him. When he sent Rios to the bench for loafing a few years ago, he was criticized for doing so. No matter what, he will be wrong. I wasn't in the gamethread when he pinch hit for Soto on Saturday, but I bet the pitchforks were ready. He turned out to be correct as Shuck came through, and the people ready to call him an idiot had to scramble.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
This, completely.

but that is the problem, isn't it. the org went out and got coleman for their baserunning coach. that philosophy is aggressive base running. so it is the players fault or the org fault?? how and where does one draw the line.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
Well there was the guy at Soxfest who actually asked him if he had a pulse. There are many posts on here criticizing his demeanor.

There have been posts saying he doesn't even want to manage. His lack of jumping up and down has been a huge issue for fans everywhere, including here.

We are only 3 or 4 days away removed from the team taking on the personality of it's manager posts, and it wasn't meant positively.

As we all know, winning solves everything. If we don't, when we're expected to, all manner of unjust criticism comes into play. But there will be plenty of justifiable criticism too.

In the meantime, if I feel I'll be offended by the meathead Ditkaization of Chicago sports fandom, and I frequently am, I stay out of gamethreads and ignore posts made too soon after losses. There's a little meathead in all of us.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)

do you remember the huge argument between big Frank and Robin had. it leaked in the papers. both were players and teammates.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
but that is the problem, isn't it. the org went out and got coleman for their baserunning coach. that philosophy is aggressive base running. so it is the players fault or the org fault?? how and where does one draw the line.

You draw the line at Sal Perez, for one thing. You look at success rates against the guy and realize it's a bad play unless a better-than-normal jump is achieved. One can be selective and still aggressive. When you're out by a mile, as Jose was at 3B the other day, given the game situation, aggressive has morphed into reckless.

These subtleties can be taught - I'm looking for the evidence that it is happening. Vince Coleman is not running the ship, Robin is.

Are we going to try to run on Buehrle? I look forward to that stupidity, not.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
You draw the line at Sal Perez, for one thing. You look at success rates against the guy and realize it's a bad play unless a better-than-normal jump is achieved. One can be selective and still aggressive. When you're out by a mile, as Jose was at 3B the other day, given the game situation, aggressive has morphed into reckless.

These subtleties can be taught - I'm looking for the evidence that it is happening. Vince Coleman is not running the ship, Robin is.

Are we going to try to run on Buehrle? I look forward to that stupidity, not.

but not in one spring training and most importantly not when the players are practicing a new approach. it is going to take time.

yeah, there will be some mistakes, but we as fans have that luxury of judging it a 2nd or a 3rd time. those players have 1 time to make it right or not.

~~ edit -- but the base running coach is Vince. now by you thought process, since Robin is the manager, does he over look the pitching or does he let Coop do it??

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)

People just want to criticize him. When he sent Rios to the bench for loafing a few years ago, he was criticized for doing so. No matter what, he will be wrong. I wasn't in the gamethread when he pinch hit for Soto on Saturday, but I bet the pitchforks were ready. He turned out to be correct as Shuck came through, and the people ready to call him an idiot had to scramble.

How was/is this any different than Guillen being roundly criticized his last 2-3 seasons?

Fans are tougher on Ventura than they were on Ozzie? I think not. It is more personal against Ventura than Guillen, once again, no way. How many times were Ozzie's family members (especially his children) brought up in criticisms directed at him? Has that ever happened with Ventura, even once?

Your using the Rios example brings back a similar situation with how he (Ozzie) handled Rios' "loafing" and seeming defensive indifference in 2011. He was criticized for protecting Rios too much and accused of not benching him quickly enough because Ozzie "loves only his Hispanic players/veterans" and "hates Brian Anderson/Brandon McCarthy/Beckham, rookies, etc."

And this was the guy who'd actually accomplished something, leading the White Sox to the World Series title in 2005 and playoffs in 2008, a rare/anomalous two appearances in the post-season within a four year span.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
How was/is this any different than Guillen being roundly criticized his last 2-3 seasons?

Fans are tougher on Ventura than they were on Ozzie? I think not. It is more personal against Ventura than Guillen, once again, no way. How many times were Ozzie's family members (especially his children) brought up in criticisms directed at him? Has that ever happened with Ventura, even once?

Your using the Rios example brings back a similar situation with how he (Ozzie) handled Rios' "loafing" and seeming defensive indifference in 2011. He was criticized for protecting Rios too much and accused of not benching him quickly enough because Ozzie "loves only his Hispanic players/veterans" and "hates Brian Anderson/Brandon McCarthy/Beckham, rookies, etc."

And this was the guy who'd actually accomplished something, leading the White Sox to the World Series title in 2005 and playoffs in 2008, a rare/anomalous two appearances in the post-season within a four year span.

yes they are, b/c of what ozzie help bring to chi, a world series title.

but ozzie's family made them selves part of the problem, you don't hear or see Robn's family / kids trying to get camera time or blog or face book stuff that shouldn't have been done. that is totally unprofessional of ozzie and esp of his kids.

lets take this further, KW kids, they didn't any of this bull that ozzie's kids did. how bout when the sox didn't draft Ozzie son, who made the big deal of it???

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
I'm somewhat with Balta on this. The sloppy play and bad decision-making are the biggest concerns to me, and those have to fall at least in part on the manager. It's still early in the season with a new group, but this is something that could become a concern.

as the old cliche goes, "the buck stop with the boss" of this i agree... RV will take the blame.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:01 PM)
no. what happened?

They argued in the dugout and had to be seperated. It wasnt something that happened often, I can only recall the one time. Pretty sure Bo had to stop Frank from destroying Robin

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)

I don't think Ventura or Guillen had it "tougher" because of how they were treated. Guillen made things tougher for himself because he didn't know when to shut his mouth. Ventura makes things tougher for himself because he doesn't entertain the media the way Ozzie did. If anything, the Chicago media is soft when compared to places like NY. it isn't a coincidence that the Chicago media is usually the last to break a baseball story in Chicago.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 14, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
They argued in the dugout and had to be seperated. It wasnt something that happened often, I can only recall the one time. Pretty sure Bo had to stop Frank from destroying Robin

There are stories of both Robin and Ozzie getting on Frank as players.