Rodon Watch 2015

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Officially starts tomorrow. Anyone want to make a guess on his first start this season?

I'll take Sunday, April 26th at home vs. Royals.

Problem is, the guy who makes the most sense to replace is Danks, and he's nearly untradeable.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Danks goes to the pen where he hopefully can hit 93 -95 on a regular short stint. Would make a nice set up man.

Just don't see that happening...he's going to be stuck in the lower 90's, which is okay. Look at Zach Duke, he doesn't have to throw 96 to be effective, even as a reliever.

With the labrum surgery, I doubt he would even have the confidence to consistently amp his MPH up like that anyway.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
I'd call up Rodon ASAP after tomorrow's deadline and put Danks in the Scott Carroll 2014 role, Noesi is probably the better pitcher now. Though I would've done something like claim Wandy Rodriguez for 5th starter.

Then he is done by August, unless the sox have him on a strict per game innings limit.

A quick change in plans is a good thing sometimes. If Rodon has a good start tonight and they feel he's ready, next Wednesday should be his first start.

17 straight games starting tomorrow. Give him two starts in a 6-man, and then decide which way to go. Chances are he'll pitch his way into being in the Sox rotation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 04:16 PM)
Just don't see that happening...he's going to be stuck in the lower 90's, which is okay. Look at Zach Duke, he doesn't have to throw 96 to be effective, even as a reliever.

With the labrum surgery, I doubt he would even have the confidence to consistently amp his MPH up like that anyway.

The capsule was more of the issue than the labrum. torn labrum is pretty easy to fix. the capsule not so much.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
A quick change in plans is a good thing sometimes. If Rodon has a good start tonight and they feel he's ready, next Wednesday should be his first start.

17 straight games starting tomorrow. Give him two starts in a 6-man, and then decide which way to go. Chances are he'll pitch his way into being in the Sox rotation.

Bad idea IMHO.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 03:18 PM)
Bad idea IMHO.

I also think they're going to be leery of having another Strasburg situation like 2012 (of course, just to be in the playoff conversation then would be a really nice problem to have, too) where they feel they have to shut him down in September because of the elevated number of innings pitched.

Most of us guessed somewhere around 22-26 starts and 130-160ish IP.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
In case anyone wants to keep up with him, he starts for Charlotte tonight. It will be on MiLB.tv. And of course we'll be discussing the game over in the FutureSox forum, recap it tomorrow AM on the blog, and keep up to date on the twitter.

Thanks

Now that the season has started, Brooks only has the pitch data on mlb games, correct?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Danks goes to the pen where he hopefully can hit 93 -95 on a regular short stint. Would make a nice set up man.

2009 called, and they aren't giving back John Danks. Realistically, 90-91 is probably where he would top out in short stints.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
I also think they're going to be leery of having another Strasburg situation like 2012 where they feel they have to shut him down in September because of the elevated number of innings pitched.

Most of us guessed somewhere around 22-26 starts and 130-160ish IP.

This is a good estimate. If he comes up now, he will not finish out the season. Even if he does hit that mark, he will be fatigued and most likely not as effective for those final games.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)
Six man rotation just doesn't make any sense. Why intentionally give starts to your 6th best pitcher? The reality is, unfortunately, if Danks isn't among the best options in either rotation OR the bullpen, he just needs to go.

Not a fan of the 6-man, just guessing what they might do.

As long as Samardzija and Quintana get 32, and Sale gets 31 starts, I'll take whatever they need to do to win 88 games.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 09:46 PM)
Not a fan of the 6-man, just guessing what they might do.

As long as Samardzija and Quintana get 32, and Sale gets 31 starts, I'll take whatever they need to do to win 88 games.

i am for only several reasons. first, saving the innings for the main pitchers to carry this team to the playoff. none of these pitchers have playoff experience. second, if Rodon comes up, it will limit his innings at the same time keep getting mlb game experience.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 05:55 PM)
i am for only several reasons. first, saving the innings for the main pitchers to carry this team to the playoff. none of these pitchers have playoff experience. second, if Rodon comes up, it will limit his innings at the same time keep getting mlb game experience.

Are you ok with the 3 man bench or the 6 man bullpen?

Because between Rodon not being ready to take an innings load and Danks and Noesi, it seems like you'd want the 7 man bullpen to have an extra reliever.

The Sox made it clear that they won't rush Rodon for the need of the big league roster. IMO Rodon can use more time to work on his command in the minors, and it's gonna take more than 3-4 starts. So I am guessing mid June at the earliest, which should increase his availability at the end of the season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 09:58 PM)
Are you ok with the 3 man bench or the 6 man bullpen?

Because between Rodon not being ready to take an innings load and Danks and Noesi, it seems like you'd want the 7 man bullpen to have an extra reliever.

to be honest and i do like this question. damn good question. i would like the 6 man bullpen. but it really depends on what happen as the season comes to the ASG. talking about things like that now, well many things can happen.

but the bottom line, playoff time.... the team needs to field the best pitchers and rp.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 16, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)
The Sox made it clear that they won't rush Rodon for the need of the big league roster. IMO Rodon can use more time to work on his command in the minors, and it's gonna take more than 3-4 starts. So I am guessing mid June at the earliest, which should increase his availability at the end of the season.

very much true.... i am of the opinion, which it still hasn't change from my other post, Rodon can help both himself and the team working on his pitches. i always expected him in aug or late aug.

Got hit around in the first inning. 3 hits and walk. 2 runs.

Eury Perez walks.

Jose Peraza singles on a bunt ground ball to pitcher Carlos Rodon. Eury Perez to 2nd.

Cedric Hunter pops out to shortstop Leury Garcia on the infield fly rule.

Pedro Ciriaco strikes out swinging.

Adonis Garcia singles on a line drive to right fielder Engel Beltre. Eury Perez scores. Jose Peraza to 3rd.

Sean Kazmar hit by pitch. Adonis Garcia to 2nd.

Joe Benson singles on a line drive to right fielder Engel Beltre. Jose Peraza scores. Adonis Garcia out at home on the throw, right fielder Engel Beltre to catcher George Kottaras.

Edited by flavum