Unorthodox Rotation Suggestion

Dunt

I shamelessly want to see Rodon in the rotation asap b/c I believe he gives the Sox a better chance to win and be a potential playoff team. I dont know that it has ever been done before, but why not have Danks and Noesi split the 5th start every week? It still seems as though the team doesnt want to use Danks in long relief, but Noesi might be a slightly better option in the 5th spot, so why not just have them combine to go 4-5 innings each 5th day? Might be able to save the bullpen a little and still get max value out of them.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
I shamelessly want to see Rodon in the rotation asap b/c I believe he gives the Sox a better chance to win and be a potential playoff team. I dont know that it has ever been done before, but why not have Danks and Noesi split the 5th start every week? It still seems as though the team doesnt want to use Danks in long relief, but Noesi might be a slightly better option in the 5th spot, so why not just have them combine to go 4-5 innings each 5th day? Might be able to save the bullpen a little and still get max value out of them.

I've seen this type of thing batted around before, probably on Fangraphs, specifically in relation to mitigating the 3rd time through the order penalty for pitchers. It's not a terrible idea but I'm sure people will come up with reasons it wouldn't work that I haven't thought of.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)

Because the pitchers will b**** about it, and the managers won't make them do something they don't want to do.

It make sense on paper though, as long as both those guys would be available for long relief as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
Because the pitchers will b**** about it, and the managers won't make them do something they don't want to do.

It make sense on paper though, as long as both those guys would be available for long relief as well.

This is way off base. The entire sport of baseball is about being confident. The best players in the world are only good 33% of the time hitting and with pitching being able to get the ball over the plate right where you want it is probably even tougher if you quantify it. Even off by an inch in either case can lead to failure. This is the part that people who look at numbers and think they can change the players or the way the game is played are wrong. The players are people and can lose confidence with failure and they deal with a game of failure. If they aren't confident in the situation, the manager will lead them to failure and the job is supposed to be to put them in a position to succeed.

If you're boos told you to get up in front of the president of the company and give a presentation on a topic you weren't comfortable with and the entire company was watch, how do you think you would perform?

On top of this what if millions of dollars would be awarded if you performed well but you didn't get them if you performed poorly with an topic you has doubts about?

If you look at it from a roster stand point, you are guaranteeing that 2 of your worst pitchers will pitch in a game every 5th day. Does that sound like a recipe for success?