MLB Franchise Four

Middle Buffalo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Thomas, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Nellie Fox, Aparicio.

Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso might be the best ambassadors the club has ever had, and nicest guys, but can't be the Top 4 IMO.

I wouldn't put Harold Baines there over any of the Top 4, either.

Ed Walsh, Hoyt Wilhelm, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins and Luke Appling have arguments as well.

Carlton Fisk...but didn't play quite enough to be considered more White Sox than Boston.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
Frank Thomas, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Nellie Fox, Aparicio.

Billy Pierce and Minnie Minoso might be the best ambassadors the club has ever had, and nicest guys, but can't be the Top 4 IMO.

I wouldn't put Harold Baines there over any of the Top 4, either.

Ed Walsh, Hoyt Wilhelm, Ted Lyons, Red Faber, Ray Schalk, Eddie Collins and Luke Appling have arguments as well.

Carlton Fisk...but didn't play quite enough to be considered more White Sox than Boston.

How in the world do you put Fox and Aparicio over Collins and Appling? Both of those guys are on the shortlists for their positions ALL TIME.

You know it's going to wind up Thomas/Konerko/Buehrle/Baines or something like that.

EDIT: it's also infuriating that all they're providing on the page is BA, HR, RBI

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 08:35 AM)
How in the world do you put Fox and Aparicio over Collins and Appling? Both of those guys are on the shortlists for their positions ALL TIME.

You know it's going to wind up Thomas/Konerko/Buehrle/Baines or something like that.

EDIT: it's also infuriating that all they're providing on the page is BA, HR, RBI

Simply because they're not as iconic in terms of representing the heart of what it means to be a fan of this franchise.

Crede, Rowand and Ordonez....even Ventura and McDowell will get more votes as well.

Bill Melton...Dick Allen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
Simply because they're not as iconic in terms of representing the heart of what it means to be a fan of this franchise.

I can't even unpack what this means. The real problem, of course, is that the fans who remember seeing those guys play are dead.

Crede, Rowand and Ordonez....even Ventura and McDowell will get more votes as well.

Bill Melton...Dick Allen.

Dick Allen is the owner of perhaps the greatest offensive season in Sox history, and I know he is sometimes credited with saving the franchise, but his stay was much too brief to warrant inclusion on a Mount Rushmore.

Crede and Rowand aren't even close.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
I can't even unpack what this means. The real problem, of course, is that the fans who remember seeing those guys play are dead.

Dick Allen is the owner of perhaps the greatest offensive season in Sox history, and I know he is sometimes credited with saving the franchise, but his stay was much too brief to warrant inclusion on a Mount Rushmore.

If it wasn't for Dick Allen, the White Sox would be playing in Denver right now. He's George Washington (mounted on one of his own horses) as far as I'm concerned.

George Davis, shortstop from the 1906 team, deserves some love, too.

Allen, Davis, Big Frank, and Mark Buehrle.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)

What I mean is that double play combination was the heart of the White Sox lore many of us grew up with....hearing stories about the late 50s/early 60s teams from some favorite uncle or grandfather.

Just their style of play and the way they complemented each other.

Oscar Gamble, Ron LeFlore, Rudy Law, Tim Raines, One Dog, Rodney McCray, Claudell Washington, jJorgeOrta, Ralph Garr

And it should be Warren The Deacon Newson, Norberto Paco Martin, Grebeck/Willie Harris and Pablo Ozuna for the super utility/bench Rushmore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
What I mean is that double play combination was the heart of the White Sox lore many of us grew up with....hearing stories about the late 50s/early 60s teams from some favorite uncle or grandfather.

Just their style of play and the way they complemented each other.

Oscar Gamble, Ron LeFlore, Rudy Law, Tim Raines, One Dog, Rodney McCray, Claudell Washington, jJorgeOrta, Ralph Garr

And it should be Warren The Deacon Newson, Norberto Paco Martin, Grebeck/Willie Harris and Pablo Ozuna for the super utility/bench Rushmore.

Dude, there's no "bench" filled with several dozen other guys at Mt. Rushmore. You get 4. 4 names.

The granite to the side is literally too fractured to add any additional heads. You only get 4. You do not get super-subs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2015 -> 06:34 PM)
Dude, there's no "bench" filled with several dozen other guys at Mt. Rushmore. You get 4. 4 names.

The granite to the side is literally too fractured to add any additional heads. You only get 4. You do not get super-subs.

Carl Everett can stand alone like Crazy Horse down the road.

Frank Thomas

Joe Jackson

Ed Walsh

Paul Konerko

Others in consideration for Konerko's spot: Applying, Collins, Lyons, Fox, Aparicio, Minoso.

This thread is reminding me of the time that I made that All-Time White Sox roster in The Show. Fun times.