Hamilton coming to Chicago

bmags

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...cago-story.html

Very awesome news that Chicago will get the same theatre company putting this on. Its why I still love this city, and don't care that the south has lower taxes, DAD.

While the writer/director/actor will change, the same production company is putting it on at bank of america theatre. This is the only city in the country getting this treatment outside of broadway circuit.

Edited by bmags

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the musical Hamilton who would have thought a musical on alexander hamilton.... then again, who would have thought a musical on 1776 and that had a lot of great music.

i hope the music is just as good or better.

i am envious of not being in chi. for this.

Hard to know about tickets at this point, likely around Book of Mormon where $60 will likely be starting point. Will be difficult first month for tickets.

If you don't like Musicals/Theatre not sure I would tell you this is the one to start with, but it certainly seems to have been popular with a wide swath.

• 5 months later...

I'm a bit confused by this right now, it may be this wave that was sent out was paying a premium to secure a ticket to the date you want. No idea if these are more reasonable.

But yeah, you could technically see Hamilton in New York in october cheaper right now than in Chicago, so something is up.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 01:00 PM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainmen...cago-story.html

Very awesome news that Chicago will get the same theatre company putting this on. Its why I still love this city, and don't care that the south has lower taxes, DAD.

While the writer/director/actor will change, the same production company is putting it on at bank of america theatre. This is the only city in the country getting this treatment outside of broadway circuit.

v. cool that 21st century has seen the resurgence of cooning.

??

Individual tickets are not on sale yet. Subscriptions and group tickets are (though they're currently no longer taking groups), but there are no individual tickets.

I was fortunate to get a fairly cheap subscription (Sunday evenings in the middle balcony; about $160 total for five shows) and get in a group so as of now I'm going twice in October. As a history teacher who also directs theatre this show is tailor-made for me, and is a very rare occurrence of something completely living up to the hype and then some. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Well part of it is just you and me talking about it :)

But, some of it is probably internet/meme related, the other is it apparently is just that good and for a wide audience.

Book of mormon was hilarious, but how many would want to see it with your mom?

I remember back in 2008-ish when Wicked was in town. My wife really wanted to go and i remember calling Ticketmaster over and over and over (I'm sure if i had the option at the time i would have been trying online as well) and could never get through. I remember one frustrating day of trying and giving up then turning on Channel 7 news and watching an interview with some old ladies about Wicked. I got so pissed when there were all like..."I've seen it 7 times already" "I've seen it 5 times".

I remember ranting "WTF??? I just want to see it ONCE for Christ's sake!!!" I guess that's what i get for being poor and could only afford the cheap seats......

I know Hamilton is THE show right now but I would much rather see Something Rotten myself....they just announced a tour but sadly (at the moment) they aren't coming to chicago and i don't think i want to drive to St. Louis to see it......

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so pissed. I'm trying to get a pair of tickets for my parents. I got on at 10:10 to the website and was able to look at multiple dates and multiple seats without a problem. I thought, oh, well this has been overhyped. So I call my mom just to make sure the dates I was looking at were ok. I go back to the website 5 minutes later and now i'm stuck in "line" while the system "searches" for tickets. I've been waiting for an hour. I despise ticketmaster's system.