Engagement Rings

iamshack

Fellas and Ladies,

I have begun looking for a ring...the girlfriend is the type that wants me to choose it for her...all I can get out of her is that she likes Princess and Radiant cut diamonds. She is a very practical girl, and we are looking at buying a home sometime in the near future, so I am not going to break the bank (probably looking at an $8k budget or so).

I have researched Blue Nile and James Allen, have looked at Tiffany & Co online, and have also looked at estate jewelry (I am a big fan of this), and plan to visit some local, non-chain stores as well.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the way to go...I know it depends on what she wants, but since I have very little guidance from her, I would appreciate just general thoughts.

The age-old question...is Tiffany & Co worth paying the premium? My tendency is to believe it is, as I think you're buying a emotive concept or experience as much as the ring itself. However, I would love to hear counterpoints....

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not go with Tiffany's or any of the big retailers. You'll get way more for the same cost at a wholesaler.

You'll see the difference first hand when you get it insured, as my wholesaler was able to appraise the ring I bought for my wife for like 30% above cost.

Also, some wholesalers will ship out of state and not charge sales tax, which can save you quite a bit of money.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
Get a lab diamond since there is no way to differentiate and you can feel good about not contributing to the blood trade.

This is why I was considering an estate ring...then I don't have to feel bad about that.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 23, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
Do not go with Tiffany's or any of the big retailers. You'll get way more for the same cost at a wholesaler.

You'll see the difference first hand when you get it insured, as my wholesaler was able to appraise the ring I bought for my wife for like 30% above cost.

Also, some wholesalers will ship out of state and not charge sales tax, which can save you quite a bit of money.

I've got an in with a jeweler in Chicago where I can get no sales tax and probably 5% over cost or something...but then I've got to fly back to Chicago to get this thing designed.

I've read the BlueNile has it's inventory spread out all over the place, and so they never even see the diamonds they sell...and there are no pictures...you just have to rely on their grades and their appraisals, which apparently are unnecessarily high and just drive up insurance premiums. JamesAllen.com, on the other hand, has firsthand access to all their inventory and provides pictures. I've read they are the way to go for online purchases.

I have also considered buying from a local jeweler, just because I like supporting the local economy...however, obviously with them there are selection/inventory concerns as well as feeling like you're dealing with a used car dealer.

Keep the advice coming!

I used Dimend Scaasi in the Chicago jewelers row area and they were fantastic. My budget was pretty high but I got a ring for way less and of higher quality than any other place. Also you need someone who is an expert, those online rings come and they are poorly cut.

They will do a consult online as well, I HIGHLY recommend them and so does my wife. She gets rave reviews from people.

I went to a local store when I went through this. The bigger the store, the more pressure to buy is what I found. I didn't have the budget you have but the guy I went to took a lot of time to show me every option.

Don't buy online though. You have to see the rock and examine it.

Part of my family is in the diamond game so Ive seen a lot of different ones. My personal favorite is emerald cut, but that is because its old school and you see it on a lot of the really nice rings. Princess or radiant are both good, I think princess is slightly more flashy.

What setting? I dont like gold at all, so id only look at white gold or platinum. Obviously that is up to your lady.

Besides for the "go to people you trust", I know that you are a good negotiator etc and understand the game. I really have never heard of many stories about women not liking their ring. Most legitimate places are not going to set you up with some sort of garish ruby, aquamarine, emerald with diamond design. id say keep it simple, single diamond, with either a solid band or band with small diamonds.

I really think its impossible to go wrong if you keep it simple and dont do anything to unique/crazy.

Save your money and don't do it!!! (Sorry, figured someone had to throw that joke out there. ;) Congrats.)

Wish I could help on the ring, but I couldn't even tell you anything about the ring I picked out for my wife. I just got in & out of the jewelry store as quick as I could.

My three pieces of advice:

--Think about the size of her finger. Bigger isn't always better. I picked out a 1.5 carat princess cut center diamond, with two smaller diamonds on either side. It looked hilarious on my wife's skinny ass finger. Luckily I didn't buy it first.

--Take into account the 4 c's, but only up to a point. That'll get you into a price/look range, but after that ignore the numbers. They try to sell you on crap you will NEVER see. It's not worth spending an extra 2 grand on clarity when it takes a microscope to notice the difference. So long as the diamond isn't yellow, and so long as it's "bright" and clear, it's fine. Don't buy into the hype.

-- Remember the wedding band. If you're buying a non-custom piece, make sure you can find a band to match.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)
My three pieces of advice:

--Think about the size of her finger. Bigger isn't always better. I picked out a 1.5 carat princess cut center diamond, with two smaller diamonds on either side. It looked hilarious on my wife's skinny ass finger. Luckily I didn't buy it first.

--Take into account the 4 c's, but only up to a point. That'll get you into a price/look range, but after that ignore the numbers. They try to sell you on crap you will NEVER see. It's not worth spending an extra 2 grand on clarity when it takes a microscope to notice the difference. So long as the diamond isn't yellow, and so long as it's "bright" and clear, it's fine. Don't buy into the hype.

-- Remember the wedding band. If you're buying a non-custom piece, make sure you can find a band to match.

Yeah, she has tiny little fingers too...size 5 ring i believe. This is part of the reason I was thinking quality over size...but you're right, I've read a good strategy is to cheapest, cleanest eye-clean J SI2 one carat stone you can get...I am assuming with an excellent cut...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 09:10 AM)

This is great advice. The "closest up" anyone will ever examine it is probably 18", and unless its right next to another of signifcantly "better" quality, no one will know or care about that s***.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
A big thing fells and ladies are going for right now is to have a circle of cluster diamonds as the setting, around say a 1-1.5 carat diamond. Those things are everywhere, they're sensible price-wise, and they look huge.

Thats because it makes the stone look alot bigger than it is, good if you are on budget. However like above huge setting look weird on certain hands.

I went with just a single round cut stone and because of the size (roughly 2.5) anything else on there would have looked like she was a real housewife.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 25, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
I think single settings have a nice classy look. Its really hard to go wrong.

I designed hers as well and did have the diamond set band but its really thin. It matches the wedding band as well which is something to take into account. Like i said, you have to go in and find who you think you trust the most of the jewelers and dont settle until you love what you are buying. This baby should last a hell of alot longer than any other purchase you will make.

Edited by RockRaines

Diamond band is a little different than having 2 smaller diamonds around the main diamond. The small diamonds on the band just give it a shimmer, they dont really impose on the main diamond.

I think the best comment is that you should love what you are getting, because this is hopefully going to be around for a long time. Also if you love it, hopefully your lady does.