> President Donald Trump: The Thread, Making America Great Again
Soxbadger
post Today, 01:21 PM
Post #6706

Minor League Manager

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:04 PM) *
I think the border security and flow of illegals that Obama wanted to stop he's doing a good job on. The wall idea seems ridiculous but overall I'd say he's been a positive influence on the southern border.

Other positives? Haha i dunno

I dont really know what has been accomplished. My opinion on immigration is completely opposite of his, so anything he does on immigration is usually a big negative. Im usually in the Cato line of thinking that immigrants are good.

https://www.cato.org/research/immigration

I also think if we made legal immigration easier, we could then spend more money cracking down on criminals trying to come here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
southsider2k5
post Today, 01:27 PM
Post #6707

Soxtalk Group Thinker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 298

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 11:29 AM) *
What does race have to do with any of this?

Do we really need to list all of the white people that this idiot has gone after? Can I start with a bid of John McCain?

+Quote Post
illinilaw08
post Today, 01:34 PM
Post #6708

25-Man Roster

Member No.: 2,639

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 01:27 PM) *
Do we really need to list all of the white people that this idiot has gone after? Can I start with a bid of John McCain?

I think it's dangerous to ignore the idea that Trump hasn't made racially motivated decisions while in office to appeal to his base. The common thread with him going after McCain or McConnell or any of the other old white dudes in the Republican Party is that they criticized Trump.

It's reasonable to ask - why is Trump fighting a culture war against the NFL players who are kneeling during the National Anthem as a protest against racial inequality while refusing to overtly condemn the white supremacists in Charlottesville? I mean, not everything with him has to be racial - and I'm not sure there's a link on the treatment of soldiers killed in action - but to ignore some of the patterns of Donald Trump with respect to people of color is pretty dangerous IMO.

+Quote Post
Soxbadger
post Today, 01:35 PM
Post #6709

Minor League Manager

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:27 PM) *

That's a horrible argument. Someone can be racist and also attack white people, its not mutually exclusive.

But there is no point in arguing about whether he is a racist or not. 1) Its hard to prove and 2) it may not even move the needle for many voters.

Which is why I think its better to stick to things he actually does (or doesnt do.)

Like when he completely disrespected the entire military and a few former Presidents by lying. But then again he is super pro America because he stands for the flag and attacks people.

+Quote Post
StrangeSox
post Today, 01:45 PM
Post #6710

Third Base Coach

Member No.: 3,878

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:34 PM) *
I think it's dangerous to ignore the idea that Trump hasn't made racially motivated decisions while in office to appeal to his base. The common thread with him going after McCain or McConnell or any of the other old white dudes in the Republican Party is that they criticized Trump.

It's reasonable to ask - why is Trump fighting a culture war against the NFL players who are kneeling during the National Anthem as a protest against racial inequality while refusing to overtly condemn the white supremacists in Charlottesville? I mean, not everything with him has to be racial - and I'm not sure there's a link on the treatment of soldiers killed in action - but to ignore some of the patterns of Donald Trump with respect to people of color is pretty dangerous IMO.

Don't downplay that. He said that there were "very fine people" among the crowd of tiki-torch wielding white supremacists who gathered to chant literal Nazi slogans. It wasn't just a refusal to condemn, it was openly praising and defending them.

This post has been edited by StrangeSox: Today, 01:45 PM

+Quote Post
southsider2k5
post Today, 01:47 PM
Post #6711

Soxtalk Group Thinker

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:34 PM) *

That is where this all should have stopped. The rest of it is a waste of time. The man is an insecure idiot who goes after whoever and whatever he thinks will either benefit him, or who comes at him.

+Quote Post
RockRaines
post Today, 01:48 PM
Post #6712

One toke over the line

Member No.: 2,022

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:47 PM) *
That is where this all should have stopped. The rest of it is a waste of time. The man is an insecure idiot who goes after whoever and whatever he thinks will either benefit him, or who comes at him.

I agree. He's certainly shown pretty blatant racism, but that shouldnt be the focus of his ineptitude IMO.

+Quote Post
StrangeSox
post Today, 01:50 PM
Post #6713

Third Base Coach

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:47 PM) *

He's also very racist and has implemented racist policy and put other racists into positions of power.

It doesn't stop there unless you just want to ignore racism. Trump can be both extremely self-centered/narcissistic and also racist, and both of those factors can play an important role. He kicked off his campaign with slurs against Mexicans and later his "ban all Muslims"/dancing in the streets on 9/11 nonsense, and neither of those were the result of personal slights.

e: soxbadger might still be right in that politically, the best way to bring down trump is through some other angles, but that doesn't make the underlying issues go away

This post has been edited by StrangeSox: Today, 01:54 PM

+Quote Post
StrangeSox
post Today, 01:52 PM
Post #6714

Third Base Coach

White House staff drafted Niger sympathy statement for Trump that was never released

So they had a statement regarding the soldiers killed in Niger but never released it for some reason, and instead Trump kicks off this s***storm that's resulted in him calling the Gold Star family members liars.

+Quote Post
Dick Allen
post Today, 01:55 PM
Post #6715

Bench Coach

Member No.: 385

In fake Trump news, he owns a Renior copy, thinks it's real, the only problem is the original has been in the Art Institute of Chicago since 1933.

+Quote Post
southsider2k5
post Today, 02:01 PM
Post #6716

Soxtalk Group Thinker

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 18, 2017 -> 02:50 PM) *
He's also very racist and has implemented racist policy and put other racists into positions of power.

It doesn't stop there unless you just want to ignore racism. Trump can be both extremely self-centered/narcissistic and also racist, and both of those factors can play an important role. He kicked off his campaign with slurs against Mexicans and later his "ban all Muslims"/dancing in the streets on 9/11 nonsense, and neither of those were the result of personal slights.

e: soxbadger might still be right in that politically, the best way to bring down trump is through some other angles, but that doesn't make the underlying issues go away

SB is right in the fact that "racism" has been watered down to the point where it means nothing to the general populous anymore, and it is fairly useless politically from one party to the other. It is used so often, it has lost all meaning.

+Quote Post
StrangeSox
post Today, 02:04 PM
Post #6717

Third Base Coach

Trump offered a grieving military father $25,000 in a call, but didn’t follow through

President Trump, in a personal phone call to a grieving military father, offered him $25,000 and said he would direct his staff to establish an online fundraiser for the family, but neither happened, the father said.

Trump said this week that he has “called every family of somebody that’s died, and it’s the hardest call to make.” At least 20 Americans have been killed in action since he became commander in chief in January. The Washington Post interviewed the families of 13 and found that his interactions with them vary. About half had received phone calls, they said. The others said they had not heard from the president.

“He said, ‘I’m going to write you a check out of my personal account for $25,000,’ and I was just floored,” Baldridge said. “I could not believe he was saying that, and I wish I had it recorded because the man did say this. He said, ‘No other president has ever done something like this,’ but he said, ‘I’m going to do it.’ “

Baldridge said that after the president made his $25,000 offer, he joked with Trump that he would bail him out if he got arrested for helping. The White House has done nothing else other than send a condolence letter from Trump, the father said.

“I opened it up and read it, and I was hoping to see a check in there, to be honest,” the father said. “I know it was kind of far-fetched thinking. But I was like, ‘Damn, no check.’ Just a letter saying ‘I’m sorry.’ “

Euvince Brooks’s son, Sgt. Roshain E. Brooks, 30, was killed Aug. 13 in Iraq. He has not heard from the White House. The president’s claim this week that he had called every military family to lose a son or daughter only upset the Brooks family more.

Brooks said that after watching the news on Tuesday night he wanted to set up a Twitter account to try and get the President’s attention.

“I said to my daughter, ‘Can you teach me to tweet, so I can tweet at the president and tell him he’s a liar?’” he said. “You know when you hear people lying, and you want to fight? That’s the way I feel last night. He’s a damn liar.”

eta: shockingly, it turns out that "only President to do this" isn't even true: Obama Has Written Personal Checks To Struggling Americans.

This post has been edited by StrangeSox: Today, 02:09 PM

+Quote Post

448 Pages V  « < 446 447 448
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 02:13 PM