In Market Streaming!

Heads22

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
Before reading it: IF you have a cable package, surely...

I mean, come on, if you KNOW someone with a cable package.

I'm pumped about this, when I'm barbecuing or cooking, nice to have the ipad on with the game. Ways to set it up now, but, too much work.

This is great.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
I mean, come on, if you KNOW someone with a cable package.

I'm pumped about this, when I'm barbecuing or cooking, nice to have the ipad on with the game. Ways to set it up now, but, too much work.

This is great.

Yeah, this is good. Particularly early in the season with lots of day games, I often have to stay after work for rehearsals later (theatre director) but have no way of watching the game before rehearsal starts. Cooking, too. Used to mean I'd have to subject myself to Farmer and DJ...

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Couple of thoughts

This is a blow to Cubs owned station if MLB does not green-light streaming for them.

Would I be able to watch the Sox anywhere if I have a cable package?

I'm sure you can only watch it if you receive CSN in the White Sox market.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
Couple of thoughts

This is a blow to Cubs owned station if MLB does not green-light streaming for them.

Would I be able to watch the Sox anywhere if I have a cable package?

Yes, utilizes the NBC Sports app, you just need to log-in to your cable provider if you already have CSN

So if I'm reading this correctly I would still need to have CSN Chicago to be able to stream right? MLB just doesn't get it. I'm willing to pay for the f***ing MLB.tv just let me watch the f***ing games. They leave me no option but to illegally stream it. They're taking money out of their own pockets.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 09:43 AM)
Yes, utilizes the NBC Sports app, you just need to log-in to your cable provider if you already have CSN

This. If your at home cable/dish set up has Comcast Sports Net on it, you will be able to log into the NBC sports app, with your cable/dish credentials, and it will allow you to watch CSN on your phone/laptop/tablet etc.

I love this, but the reason the MLB was dragging their feet on this is very obvious ... see all the responses above and what I'm thinking myself.

As long as you know one person with cable who is willing to share their password, then you don't have to pay for cable to get the Sox and Hawks and bulls, or any college football or basketball games.

It's a slippery slope the cable networks have created by forcing you to buy cable packages around sports and jacking up prices of said cable packages around sports only to allow you to stream these games in an "illegal" fashion pretty damn easily. You are going to see some real big market corrections in the future in the cable space. And it's gong to be messy.

Along the same lines, a lot of these giant contracts? They are based off giant TV packages... which are based off the fact marketers are willing to pay for ad space during sports because the theory is that if you are watching a live event you are more likely to watch ads. If you're watching a TV show likely you are DVR'ing it and skipping commercials. If this cookie starts to crumble and people cancel their cable subscriptions and start sharing codes? Revenue base is no longer there to support these cable prices, the ads, the tv contracts, the players contracts, etc etc etc. It's a domino effect.

Not saying that streaming the Sox or Cubs like this is going to change landscape - I'm saying its a bigger problem than many realize.

But at the same point Ill enjoy the ensuing mess, cancel my cable and steal a password. Frees up a good $700-800 a year in my budget while still being able to watch the Sox, Hawks and Redbirds.

Sorry If I rambled there, and I didn't re-read my entry, so it may not make complete sense/forgot points in my arugment.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
I love this, but the reason the MLB was dragging their feet on this is very obvious ... see all the responses above and what I'm thinking myself.

As long as you know one person with cable who is willing to share their password, then you don't have to pay for cable to get the Sox and Hawks and bulls, or any college football or basketball games.

It's a slippery slope the cable networks have created by forcing you to buy cable packages around sports and jacking up prices of said cable packages around sports only to allow you to stream these games in an "illegal" fashion pretty damn easily. You are going to see some real big market corrections in the future in the cable space. And it's gong to be messy.

Along the same lines, a lot of these giant contracts? They are based off giant TV packages... which are based off the fact marketers are willing to pay for ad space during sports because the theory is that if you are watching a live event you are more likely to watch ads. If you're watching a TV show likely you are DVR'ing it and skipping commercials. If this cookie starts to crumble and people cancel their cable subscriptions and start sharing codes? Revenue base is no longer there to support these cable prices, the ads, the tv contracts, the players contracts, etc etc etc. It's a domino effect.

Not saying that streaming the Sox or Cubs like this is going to change landscape - I'm saying its a bigger problem than many realize.

But at the same point Ill enjoy the ensuing mess, cancel my cable and steal a password. Frees up a good $700-800 a year in my budget while still being able to watch the Sox, Hawks and Redbirds.

Sorry If I rambled there, and I didn't re-read my entry, so it may not make complete sense/forgot points in my arugment.

The one thing is when companies like HBO have been asked about this they really don't care that people share.

They can more accurately report on numbers for people logged in watching, and they can still generate detailed reports for ad revenue then. I'm sure they'll end up about the same.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
The one thing is when companies like HBO have been asked about this they really don't care that people share.

They can more accurately report on numbers for people logged in watching, and they can still generate detailed reports for ad revenue then. I'm sure they'll end up about the same.

Truth to this. They don't seem to be worried. However money has to come from somewhere. Right now there are a large base of people who do not care about sports at all who are helping fund ESPN, CSN, etc. etc.

On the flip side, there are a lot of us who are funding Bravo and E! and channels we don't care about just to watch sports.

The eventual outcome is what is hard to determine. I personally believe it will be a buffet style. You pay for what you want and it'll be survival of the fittest leaving some smaller channels SOL.

Only problem with picking and choosing channels is that you don't have a pool of money from everybody to subsidize the costs. So right now ESPN may cost like $4.50 a month in your cable package, but if it comes down to only the people who want it paying for it? That cost might be $8 for ESPN a month. CSN might cost $6, etc etc.

By the time you're done selecting your channels you may end up paying just as much as you were beforehand, possibly more.

HBO already has done this in a way, but their subscription base is pretty solid and can survive and still put out content. Think about channels like A&E, Discovery, etc. maybe channels you watch some- but not enough to justify purchasing.. those will be the ones to worry about their future.. They need money to produce content.

My tie to sports here is that if you do have it as a pick and choose option you might be surprised at the downturn in revenue that comes in for sports. I love sports, and so does everybody on a Sox board in January when the team sucks, but there are the casual fans who will opt not to pay in this situation.

Again, this is long term. I don't think any of this will happen in the next 2-3 years, but I mean, something will happen. Look back 10 years ago... iPhones weren't even around. 10 years from now the landscape for watching TV will change considerably.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 19, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)

Yes. HBO once tweeted a password.

This is an improvement, but still not an optimal solution. I've had X1 for a year or so, and a major perk of that package was that I could stream local games to my computer/iPad while on my home Wi-Fi. What I really want is to be able to bounce around games on MLB.TV. The online/AppleTV apps are well done, immersive and include picture-in-picture and I really want to be able to stay in once baseball-focused interface.