Frank Thomas "95% certain" he's retiring...

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
When he decides to hang it up...start the Hall of Fame clock.

If the BBWAA want to REALLY make a steroid statement, Big Frank should be an overwhelming first ballot HOFer. I'm talking near 90% of the votes.

If he retires this year, then isn't he in the same class with Maddux, probably Glavine, Kent, Mussina (who probably won't get in but will take votes), etc.? He's definitely deserving, but he might have to wait a year or so. I'm sure there are tons of stuck-up sports writers out there who aren't going to vote for a guy who DH'd a large portion of his career until they basically have to. And then following the year of Frank's eligibility you're going to have Randy Johnson and probably Smoltz too. Maybe even Griffey.

And also, isn't this Blyleven's last year of eligibility before having to wait on the veteran's committee?

IMO he's a no-brainer HOF player and one of the best hitters in my lifetime, and the fact that he did it cleanly only furthers his case. But, I think there could be some problems for Frank.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
That 5% = seeing if Jim Thome suffers a serious injury

Honestly, especially if we are sucking and need to sell tickets, I wouldn't mind signing Thomas and letting him get a few AB's during September. Let him go out as he came in, as a White Sock.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 27, 2009 -> 12:26 AM)
Honestly, especially if we are sucking and need to sell tickets, I wouldn't mind signing Thomas and letting him get a few AB's during September. Let him go out as he came in, as a White Sock.

I have absolutely no problem signing Thomas in September to give him a mini-farewell tour. Let him play on the last homestand of the year.

Of course, the opens the possibility of him actually hurting himself on that tour, but I think unless he was in absolute agony, he'd play through it seeing as how he wouldn't ever play at the MLB level again.