7/16 Games

GGajewski18

Pretty blah day so far, Ravelo and Kevan Smith both 1-2 with an RBI, Snodgress doing his unimpressively effective thing as usual. Jason Coats providing the only offense so far with an RBI double in the 3rd. Things getting heated for Kanny today, the manager, hitting coach and Trey all have been tossed from the game.

Serious question: Mitchell has almost 100 ABs at Birmingham now and has put up 1.000+ OPS, is he back in the prospect conversation for us? After last season it's been hard not to remain skeptical but he's made the Southern League his b**** over the last month.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
Pretty blah day so far, Ravelo and Kevan Smith both 1-2 with an RBI, Snodgress doing his unimpressively effective thing as usual. Jason Coats providing the only offense so far with an RBI double in the 3rd. Things getting heated for Kanny today, the manager, hitting coach and Trey all have been tossed from the game.

Serious question: Mitchell has almost 100 ABs at Birmingham now and has put up 1.000+ OPS, is he back in the prospect conversation for us? After last season it's been hard not to remain skeptical but he's made the Southern League his b**** over the last month.

If he can't get over the hump of AAA why should we think he could do anything useful in the majors? Sadly he's a non-prospect to me.

FWIW, we put Mitchell in AA before he had gotten over the A+ hump and then put him in AAA before he got over the AA hump. We put him in a really tough position, developmentally speaking. There was no good reason to believe he'd do well in AAA based on anything he'd done before when we put him there.

Dane Stone with another gem of a start. 8.0 IP, 3H, 0ER, 1BB, 6K.

Posted this about him last week:

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 10, 2014 -> 10:40 PM)
Anyone know much about Dane Stone? Posted some really good K:BB ratios as a reliever with the Marlins between rookie ball and high-A, went to indie ball where he pitched well enough to get signed by the Sox and now has a 1.53 ERA with Great Falls in 5 starts. Obvious caveat is that he's 23 in rookie ball, but interesting numbers nonetheless: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

Northside?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 10:08 PM)
Spencer Adam is on point tonight, 5 Ks through 4.

Adams is yet to walk anyone. That's very impressive for a kid just out of high school. Man, I'm loving this 2014 draft from the Sox.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 10:00 PM)
FWIW, we put Mitchell in AA before he had gotten over the A+ hump and then put him in AAA before he got over the AA hump. We put him in a really tough position, developmentally speaking. There was no good reason to believe he'd do well in AAA based on anything he'd done before when we put him there.
I agree with this. He let High A way too early and even though he was doing okay at AA, he wasn't performing at a level to raise him. I'm willing to see if he's turned a corner, but I wouldn't move him anytime soon.

Low A Excellent

Injured - out for a year

High A- Poor

AA - Okay

AAA - Bad

AA - Terrible

AAA - Awful

AA - Great

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
Dane Stone with another gem of a start. 8.0 IP, 3H, 0ER, 1BB, 6K.

Posted this about him last week:

Northside?

He's 23, and is yet another example of an arm the Sox pick up out of indy ball (and in many cases, including his, he was a pro before that). People who do general scouting (not Sox-specific) have pointed out before that the Sox have been better at this than just about any other team.

Stone has pitched 80-some-odd innings at various levels of A ball as a reliever, so he really should be dominating in the Pinoeer League. He's 6'7", has a low 90's fastball, but his curve is the specialty pitch. I've haven't seen anyone put any sort of plus tag on anything he throws (there are a few scouting reports out there for him), but he has excellent control.

Ill drop a line to Stoltz, who I know has seen him before in person, and see what he says. But for now, I'd just say he's something along the lines of Jacob Sanchez - a nice org pickup who maybe, if everything goes right, can do a little more than that (in Sanchez' case, as a minor deal trade chip).

A semi-comp for Dane Stone might be Dan Remenowsky. Tall pitchers with leggy deliveries and an upper 80's or maybe lower 90's fastball and excellent command. Except Remenowsky had a much broader repertoire with a slider, change and cutter. So Stone is a poor man's Remenowsky, perhaps.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/...all-star-break/

Nice games from Great Falls, Arizona, and the DSL team. A name to perhaps keep an eye on is Kevin Escorcia, who was scouted and signed by Marco Paddy out of Colombia a couple years ago. At 19 I guess you could consider him a little old for DSL, but he has an 11.20 SO/9 and only a 2.01 BB/9 rate.