7/17 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
Nathaniel Stoltz ‏@stoltz_baseball 11m

Impressive show from Hawkins in BP. Swing looks best I've seen. Jason Coats and Nick Basto also made some hard contact.

Great to hear. I'm still on the Hawkins bandwagon. Still way too soon to give up on him.

Never mind.

Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 1m

Well that happened fast. Erik Johnson’s night is over and it’s 8-5. #cltknights did him no defensive favors whatsoever in the sixth.

At least he had good stuff from the numbers. Defense didn't help him.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:06 AM)
6 home runs for Charlotte tonight.

Jordan Danks is up to .280 with 13 home runs.. If De Aza or Viciedo get traded I would like Danks to get more of a look. There has to be something there.

At what point do we give Phegley another chance? He has been on fire

And take Flowers' hot bat out of the lineup?

Are you nuts?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
I got a feeling Phegley is a AAAA player but ya, he should be getting a look the rest of this season.

I mean he didn't get a huge sample size last year and it was his first taste of the majors.. It might take him a year to figure it out but we have to at least give him a chance. But I have a feeling Flowers won't be going anywhere unless he gets hurt

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
6 home runs for Charlotte tonight.

Jordan Danks is up to .280 with 13 home runs.. If De Aza or Viciedo get traded I would like Danks to get more of a look. There has to be something there.

At what point do we give Phegley another chance? He has been on fire

The problem at this point is the perception of Danks (due to age and MLB track record) as a AAAA player...and the fact that Taylor and Sierra would seem to be ahead of him in the pecking order for the moment.

Charlotte's new ballpark is just giving up anomalous offensive numbers, especially homers.

On Johnson, if you read Seth Lakso's game story, it's clear he had his best outing in a long time. Got bit by the ump and his defense in his last inning.

On Phegley, he's been throwing runners out very effectively, but the concerns are two-fold. His receiving of course, as mentioned. But also the fact that on more than one occasion, he's been benched or sent to MiLB camp (in ST) because of a perception he wasn't staying focused on the pitchers. Hopefully that changes, and until it does for a while, the Sox won't call him up.

In addition to Johnson, there were a number of other nice pitching performances last night. Dykstra with a nice A+ debut: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 0 BB, 8 K. Recchia 1 ER in 6.1 IP, keeping his ERA under 3 (though he only K'd 2). Lowry came back from DL and threw 5 1-hit innings, 2 walks and 6 K. Luis Martinez in AZL went 5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K and he's still just 19.