Could the Sox sign Aiken?

harfman77

"The signing deadline for draft picks is rapidly approaching and the Brady Aiken conundrum has yet to find resolution. Evan Drellich and Ken Rosenthal have been on top of the situation, reporting that while the Astros are uncomfortable with the findings of Aiken's MRI, Aiken's camp claims that he is asymptomatic and healthy. If Aiken cannot reach an agreement with the Astros, the possibility of a grievance filed on behalf of Aiken comes into play. A victory in said grievance would culminate in Aiken becoming a free agent, a potentially historical development."

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2014/7/18...er-construction

That would be a very interesting development. If Aiken is a free agent, it would be interesting to see how teams would value him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
Not a chance. No caps or restrictions, there are about a dozen teams that will outbid us.

Perhaps, but the line from Hahn was that they were keeping payroll down to invest money in amateurs, so this situation would fit that bill. The Sox also have a really good track record of handling pitchers and keeping them from injury, so that could act as a differentiator. Add to that the assumption that there is probably already some familiarity between himself and the Sox from the draft process I think the Sox would be one of a handful of teams in the running along side the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox. If the Cubs have the money, they will likely get him, other than that I think the Sox have as good as shot as anyone.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Perhaps, but the line from Hahn was that they were keeping payroll down to invest money in amateurs, so this situation would fit that bill. The Sox also have a really good track record of handling pitchers and keeping them from injury, so that could act as a differentiator. Add to that the assumption that there is probably already some familiarity between himself and the Sox from the draft process I think the Sox would be one of a handful of teams in the running along side the Dodgers, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox. If the Cubs have the money, they will likely get him, other than that I think the Sox have as good as shot as anyone.

The numbers I saw writers guessing at were between $10 and $20 million. I am guessing that on the open market, the later is much more likely than the previous. Do you see the Sox putting $20 million down for a pitcher that could be a half of a decade away from the majors, and might have a significant injury risk? I don't. I don't see the White Sox being anywhere near the top tier of bidders.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
The numbers I saw writers guessing at were between $10 and $20 million. I am guessing that on the open market, the later is much more likely than the previous. Do you see the Sox putting $20 million down for a pitcher that could be a half of a decade away from the majors, and might have a significant injury risk? I don't. I don't see the White Sox being anywhere near the top tier of bidders.

Not to mention, with the insane amount that the Yankees are spending on international free agents this year and their emphasis on improving their farm system, I'm certain they would be licking their chops at being able to add a premium talent that comes with no penalties and would drive up the price significantly.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)

I really don't see why not to be honest....There's no history there to say they would or would not do such a thing.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
So are we just assuming/accepting that the Astros doctors are completely off base in this scenario?

Ah, answering my own question: Yes. Because if the Astros' injury accusations are legit, their 40% offer would be acceptable and arbiters wouldn't rule Aiken a free agent.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:29 PM)
So are we just assuming/accepting that the Astros doctors are completely off base in this scenario?

What's the problem he's said to have anyway? Kid isn't even turning 18 until next month, so unless this is a career threatening injury you'd think he'd be worth a risk. Sox may get outbid but it'd be silly not to get in the mix for him.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
What's the problem he's said to have anyway? Kid isn't even turning 18 until next month, so unless this is a career threatening injury you'd think he'd be worth a risk. Sox may get outbid but it'd be silly not to get in the mix for him.

If the Astros are willing to take on the risk of God-awful PR, losing the number 1 pick this year, and potentially going over bonus allotment enough to lose their top pick next year, I would think they better be damn sure the kid is injured. Otherwise, they're hurting their organization far more than they are helping it with this bizarre strategy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Yeah, Astros clearly must have real concerns. There is no other reason for them to be doing this, it would make no sense.

It's just such a peculiar situation, I have no idea what to make of it anymore.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Yeah, Astros clearly must have real concerns. There is no other reason for them to be doing this, it would make no sense.

They want to sign Mac Marshall, a guy that was a first round talent that they drafted in the 21st round. The only way they can do that is to get Aiken to sign for less than $5M.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
What history do the White Sox have to indicate that they would do this?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 01:17 PM)
I really don't see why not to be honest....There's no history there to say they would or would not do such a thing.

As I acknowledged, there is none...But this is just such a rare occurrence so there's no history to go back on.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 18, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
As I acknowledged, there is none...But this is just such a rare occurrence so there's no history to go back on.

The Sox actually lost two players that way. They were no where near signing them when it happened.