Adam Engel

NorthSideSox72

There's been some talk about Adam Engel. Nathaniel Stoltz of Fangraphs did this piece today, going into some detail, including video.

His profile is seemingly an exact match with a White Sox player from a few decades ago - Gary Redus. Plus athlete, plus-plus speed, a little pop, poor contact and hit tool, pull tendency and over-swing tendency, excellent defensive range, strong arm.

What are people's thoughts? In some ways he's similar to a guy like Keenyn Walker, but I think Engel has more pop.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 10:15 AM)
There's been some talk about Adam Engel. Nathaniel Stoltz of Fangraphs did this piece today, going into some detail, including video.

His profile is seemingly an exact match with a White Sox player from a few decades ago - Gary Redus. Plus athlete, plus-plus speed, a little pop, poor contact and hit tool, pull tendency and over-swing tendency, excellent defensive range, strong arm.

What are people's thoughts? In some ways he's similar to a guy like Keenyn Walker, but I think Engel has more pop.

I like Engela whole lot more than Walker, Walker was a bust in my opinion, not even prospective

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
I like Engela whole lot more than Walker, Walker was a bust in my opinion, not even prospective

At this point, sure. But Walker did much better in Kanny in his first year there than Engel is doing now - that is the way to compare results. Of course results are not the same as tools.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
At this point, sure. But Walker did much better in Kanny in his first year there than Engel is doing now - that is the way to compare results. Of course results are not the same as tools.

Wasn't a fan of Walker since the draft, but I probably viewed him with too high of expectations considering he was our 1st pick in the late 40s, hate the idea of an early picked JUCO kid

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Wasn't a fan of Walker since the draft, but I probably viewed him with too high of expectations considering he was our 1st pick in the late 40s, hate the idea of an early picked JUCO kid

Tim Anderson?

Unfortunately, toolsy athletic prospects with hit tool/contact issues are precisely the type that have never been properly developed in the BBell and prior eras.

I wonder if RH is even able to make the needed changes in the development side of the org for fear of upsetting JR's family atmosphere. Personally, I'd back up the truck.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Unfortunately, toolsy athletic prospects with hit tool/contact issues are precisely the type that have never been properly developed in the BBell and prior eras.

I wonder if RH is even able to make the needed changes in the development side of the org for fear of upsetting JR's family atmosphere. Personally, I'd back up the truck.

Or maybe the Sox draft too many players with contact issues, and overvalue their speed and power coming out of school.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 09:18 AM)
Or maybe the Sox draft too many players with contact issues, and overvalue their speed and power coming out of school.

A little from Column A, a little...