2017-2018 NHL discussion thread

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
Protected players list is due by 9am this morning. No word yet from the Hawks on who they will protect from the expansion draft.

And it was delayed until 930. Sounds like the Hawks are trying to work a deal to shed the Kruger contract, losing TVR in the process

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
List is out. Not sure why they'd protect Seabrook or Hossa, but I haven't paid much attention to the rules of this draft.

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/6/18/...ckhawks-players

They both have no movement clauses. Would have to give permission to be left unprotected

NHL has quietly updated all the uniforms to the new Adidas sets. Most of the good jerseys look the same with an updated collar, but the Devils, Preds look bad.

The new Knights look is meh. The red in the sleeves makes no sense.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
Favorite part about Adidas being the new carrier is the on-ice jerseys are now $200 instead of $300

Would be interested to see if quality is affected. My Fiorentina jersey (Joma) is a lot better quality than my Juventus jersey (Adidas). I agree, though, that it's cool because there's no way the old jerseys are $100 better.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
Holy s***, that is what the Hawks came up with?!?

This has been a thing for like 3 years. The contract is built so this is the year he retires. I just can't believe the allergic reaction is what they are going with.

It sounds so ridiculous that it's hard to believe it's true. But you know They Are gonna think of something to get him on long term IR,and avoid the cap penalties.

I still can't believe they didn't grandfather these contracts in when they signed the new CBA.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
Holy s***, that is what the Hawks came up with?!?

This has been a thing for like 3 years. The contract is built so this is the year he retires. I just can't believe the allergic reaction is what they are going with.

LTIR would give them back all of his cap space right? Damn, between the Kruger deal and this, they could claw back almost $10 million. Cap problems solved, boom.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 11:03 PM)
LTIR would give them back all of his cap space right? Damn, between the Kruger deal and this, they could claw back almost $10 million. Cap problems solved, boom.

Even though I saw a quote from someone close to the situation who said he didn't appreciate the idea that this was made up, and it's a serious health issue for Marian, I really do hope it was made it up. It would suck to see a legendary player like Hossa suffer and have to wimper in to retirement before he wanted to call it quits.

I'm all for the cap space, but I hope it was Hossa's decision, not an actual health issue.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 07:00 AM)
Even if it's for cap purposes, Hawks are better with a healthy Hossa on the ice. Sucks for him and the Hawks.

With all the salary cap talk, it was easy to forget that Hossa scored 26 goals last season. And the Hawks are losing Kruger in the next 18 hours. Bowman will have some cap space to play with, but more big holes to fill.

It's a s***ty way to go out if he must. He's a stud.

That said, the cap hit of $5.275m for the next four season (through 2021-22) will be welcomed back for a younger, better player if that's the way it goes. Hossa has only been a .57 ppg player over the past two seasons.

All's well that ends well.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2017 -> 10:44 PM)
Interesting that a Canadian writer scooped the Hossa story, not any of the local guys.

NHL media in Chicago is kind of strange. They have core beat reports and then a TON of what can only be described as fan sites. There are only a handful of good reporters and a number of them are in the process of looking for new jobs with the ESPN shakeup.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 21, 2017 -> 01:09 AM)
Even though I saw a quote from someone close to the situation who said he didn't appreciate the idea that this was made up, and it's a serious health issue for Marian, I really do hope it was made it up. It would suck to see a legendary player like Hossa suffer and have to wimper in to retirement before he wanted to call it quits.

I'm all for the cap space, but I hope it was Hossa's decision, not an actual health issue.

Yeah, of all players I think Hossa is one of the last ones who would want to go out this way. He is a machine, and one of my favorite players. Not only an amazing scorer, but a two way beast. Good luck winning a puck battle with him in the corner.