How to fix the Bulls?

It's clear that the Bulls are not a good team. If they make the playoffs this year--which might not happen--it will only be as a 7th or 8th seed. This team has a lot of work to do in the off-season, but lots of parts are available. So, here is my off-season plan:

Draft

Knicks pick--hope to god Adam Morrison is available anywhere from 3-6.

Bulls Pick--Nick Fazekas

We get a big shooting guard that can defend and plays basketball the way Skiles likes, thus plenty of playing time. Nick Fazekas provides an atheltic big man that can shoot, which is a necessity in the new NBA. If we trade a pick, I hope its our pick, which can be packaged with Ben Gordon to get a big guy that can play.

Free Agency

Sign Nazr Mohammed

Sign Al Harrington

We get bigger and more athletic and get two guys who can start for us and provide both offense and defense. Harrington more offense than defense and Mohammed more D than O, but nice balance. This enables you to mix Chandler in with good players surrounding him so he can succeed on the court.

Team

1. Nazr Mohammed

2. Tyson Chandler

3. Al Harrington

4. Mike Sweetney

5. Nick Frazekas

6. Andres Nocioni

7. Darius Songaila

8. Luol Deng

9. Basden/FA/big defensive 2 guard

10. Chris Duhon

11. Adam Morrison

12. Kirk Hinrich

**Notice no Ben Gordon, he is not a Bulls type player. All O and no D, he will be gone.

Line-Up

C-Chandler/Mohammed/Sweetney/Frazekas

PF-Al Harrington/Chandler/Nocioni/Frazekas

SF-Deng/Noc/Songaila

SG-Morrison/Hinrich/big D 2 guard

PG-Hinrich/Duhon

Don't you love when morons try to play GM and think they can solve all the problems. :bang But seriously, what do you guys think? What changes would you make? I want to hear some feedback.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rangercal @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
stojakovic  or bust

He would bring the offensive threat we need, but his scoring has been going down the last three years. He also will command a max contract and I am not sure Pax will want to give it to a good, but not great offensive player.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
You claim Ben isn't a Skiles type player, but yet want Morrison who is the definition of all O and no D. Very weird.

Anyway, LaMarcus Aldridge or bust.

There is a big difference though, Gordon is an all offensive 2 guard at 6-3 while Morrison is a 6-8 2 guard that plays hard all the time. Morrison is not a bad defensive player, he is coachable and plays old-school. You underestimate his defensive abilities.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
There is a big difference though, Gordon is an all offensive 2 guard at 6-3 while Morrison is a 6-8 2 guard that plays hard all the time.  Morrison is not a bad defensive player, he is coachable and plays old-school.  You underestimate his defensive abilities.

Morrison is an offensive SF. He's way too slow to play SG. Hell, some people think he may be too slow to play SF at the next level. And Morrison is horrible on defense. He plays great offensively in terms of scoring, but he has nothing else.

Strengths: Old school right down to the stripes on the socks ... Like a coach on the floor ... The game comes so easy to him ... A great player in the half court ... Can create offense for himself or others ... Really excels with the ball in his hands at the top of the key ... Very good scorer with complete offensive repertoire ... Effortless shooting stroke ... Has great anticipation and basketball understanding ... Great intangibles, competes and inspires others to play hard ... Hard worker ... Plays with great intensity and aggressiveness ... Fundamentally solid, does all the little things to help his team win ... A true competitor. Will not back down from anyone ... Wants to take the big shot ... Sees the floor well, and is creative finding teammates for baskets ... Catches and shoots, or can shoot on the move ... Runs decent, but needs a head of steam ...

Weaknesses: Not especially gifted athletically ... Stiff legs, has the legs of a 40 year old ... When he runs the floor he lacks great speed and fluidity ... Better hand speed than foot speed ... His lack of foot speed makes getting around opponents difficult ... Does not get off the floor quickly or with much elevation ... Plays hard on defense but lacks great lateral quickness ... Lack of a great first step will make it harder to get shots off against superior athletes ...

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Morrison is an offensive SF. He's way too slow to play SG. Hell, some people think he may be too slow to play SF at the next level. And Morrison is horrible on defense. He plays great offensively in terms of scoring, but he has nothing else.

We need a go to scorer desperately who can score in many ways--that is Morrison. At the 2 guard/small forward position is where you find your scorers and players who aren't great defensively. Morrison can be a dynamic scorer, but plays hard on defense (what Gordon really doesn't do.) If he is on this team, he is the best offensive threat because he can bring every night from anywhere.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
We need a go to scorer desperately who can score in many ways--that is Morrison.  At the 2 guard/small forward position is where you find your scorers and players who aren't great defensively.  Morrison can be a dynamic scorer, but plays hard on defense (what Gordon really doesn't do.)  If he is on this team, he is the best offensive threat because he can bring every night from anywhere.

Gordon is a scorer and has the tools of a good defensive player. For Morrison it's just not there. Gordon could do anything Morrison does and better if Skiles gave him the damn ball instead of Hinrich or Duhon while he's out on the court. Problem is Skiles has tried to change Gordon and it's not working. Gordon does best in the 4th(at least last year) in large part because that's when Skiles let's Gordon go loose. Morrison can try all he wants, but I rather take the guy with tools.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
Gordon is a scorer and has the tools of a good defensive player. For Morrison it's just not there. Gordon could do anything Morrison does and better if Skiles gave him the damn ball instead of Hinrich or Duhon while he's out on the court. Problem is Skiles has tried to change Gordon and it's not working. Gordon does best in the 4th(at least last year) in large part because that's when Skiles let's Gordon go loose. Morrison can try all he wants, but I rather take the guy with tools.

I was all for Gordon starting over Duhon, and I still see Duhon as a glorified bench player...but I'm still going to have to disagree. Gordon is way too streaky to be a consistent scorer in this league, and his defense continues to hinder him.

What tools are you seeing? Height isn't one of them. The lack of solid defense, careless turnovers, and streaky shooting outweigh when he is on for me. I do like him a lot when he is on, though.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
I was all for Gordon starting over Duhon, and I still see Duhon as a glorified bench player...but I'm still going to have to disagree.  Gordon is way too streaky to be a consistent scorer in this league, and his defense continues to hinder him.

What tools are you seeing?  Height isn't one of them.  The lack of solid defense, careless turnovers, and streaky shooting outweigh when he is on for me.  I do like him a lot when he is on, though.

Height definately isn't one of them, but he has the IQ and he is strong enough to handle guards in the post. He also knows a thing or two about defensive positioning.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Height definately isn't one of them, but he has the IQ and he is strong enough to handle guards in the post. He also knows a thing or two about defensive positioning.

Gordon has ever shown good iq? Ya, we he takes a 3-1 fast break three or tries to force up a ''giant killer'' instead of actually trying to get to the rim. He passing is awful and he handles are overated. He has good moves but is very sloppy, many times while dribbling he nearly falls over to regain his dribbles.

Strong enough to handle guards in the post? We have no one that can do that ( guards)...which is why teams like new jersey, boston, and the cavs give us problems.

I really do not see what so many see in him. He is one of the most overated players in the league, most have figured this out outside of bulls fans... he is thought of as a savior.

Right now I find it hard to see where Morrison would fit with the Bulls. You've already got 4 guys in Deng, Gordon, Nocioni and Hinrich who play either SG or SF where Morrison would play.

Gotta take Aldrige if he's available. The Bulls may not have a top 3 pick again for a long time and if they can get a quality young big, they should do it, looking at their current needs.

You get Mohammed as well, suddenly you have a very nice mix of bigs in Aldrige, Mohammed, Chandler, Sweetney and Songalia.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Gordon has ever shown good iq? Ya, we he takes a 3-1 fast break three or tries to force up a ''giant killer'' instead of actually trying to get to the rim. He passing is awful and he handles are overated. He has good moves but is very sloppy, many times while dribbling he nearly falls over to regain his dribbles.

Strong enough to handle guards in the post? We have no one that can do that ( guards)...which is why teams like new jersey, boston, and the cavs give us problems.

I really do not see what so many see in him. He is one of the most overated players in the league, most have figured this out outside of bulls fans... he is thought of as a savior.

We suck against any team with a big man that can score. Look at last year. Our guards held opposing team's backcourts down. They were like in top5 in scoring against by backcourt.

Most Bulls fans don't want him, but he is good. He'll actually win you games. I just don't think the 3 guard rotation works. I think the Bulls either need to get rid of Kirk or Gordon. God knows they'll never get rid of Kirk because he can do no wrong, so it'll be Gordon.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)

You tell me a shooting guard Ben Gordon could ever guard. Maybe Corey Benjamin. Gordon has no defensive tools. I will be happy if/when the Bulls deal his sorry ass.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)

Which is why we need to dump his ass while we have the chance. Package him, Tim Thomas and something else for a quality player. I think we could do it.

By the way, screw spending money on Nazr and Harrington. That gives us crap at center still. Go all out for Ben Wall. I highly doubt we get him, but this teams biggest weakness is center. Offer him beaucoup dollars and just suffer on the back end and hope you can unload him later on.

Than you can slide Chandler back to PF and bring in Sweetney for low post game from time to time.

Package Gordon and one of our draft picks for a better fit player for our system and use the Knicks people on a promising low post player.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
By the way, screw spending money on Nazr and Harrington.  That gives us crap at center still.  Go all out for Ben Wall.  I highly doubt we get him, but this teams biggest weakness is center. Offer him beaucoup dollars and just suffer on the back end and hope you can unload him later on. 

Than you can slide Chandler back to PF and bring in Sweetney for low post game from time to time. 

Package Gordon and one of our draft picks for a better fit player for our system and use the Knicks people on a promising low post player.

The same ben wallace who will sign a max deal and be 36-37 by the time the deal is over? His man to man defense is not nearly as strong as it was three-four years ago at this point but he help is still as fierce as ever. I know we are all disappointed in chandler but we really need a high percentage scoring man with better defense than sweetney's ( is awfu). Ben wallace is the wrong way to go for this bulls franchise in my opinion and i doubt we would end up getting him anyway.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
The same ben wallace who will sign a max deal and be 36-37 by the time the deal is over? His man to man defense is not nearly as strong as it was three-four years ago at this point but he help is still as fierce as ever. I know we are all disappointed in chandler but we really need a high percentage scoring man with better defense than sweetney's ( is awfu). Ben wallace is the wrong way to go for this bulls franchise in my opinion and i doubt we would end up getting him anyway.

I want Nene. Assuming he's healthy, of course.

We need size. Period.

1)Pray Toronto is stupid enough to trade Bosh.

2)Pray Aldridge drops to us.

3)Trade for Artest - May be stupid, but he's one of my favorite players

4)Trade for Wilcox

A Team cannot play 3 small guards, nocioni or songaila at PF, and sweetney or chandler and center and expect to win. Something desperately needs to be done.

Edited by SS Gload