SOXTALK HOT TAKE: Why the Sox did NOTHING

witesoxfan

Because I said so.

LOL, no, but I haven't been active nor present for a few months, but want everyone to know that, while I'm drunk, I still think of my White Sox stepchild.

Still, consider the Sox from, say, the Giants perspective. The pieces I'd trade for as a contending team - Jose Abreu, Chris Sale, and Jose Quintana - are going to cost me way too much. The piece I'd add as a guy to fill in behind my ace - Samardzija - is having just an OK year and I get nothing back in return, so why would I trade anything of considerable value for him?

And, from any team's perspective, who wants to take on Adam LaRoche for another year at $15 million? Who would even consider Alexei Ramirez at his current price? ...and that's about it offensively for players the Sox could realistically deal and not lose anything.

"Still! The Sox have won 8 of their last 10 and are withing striking distance of a Wild Card! Where's their Tulo?"

Jesus, settle the hell down imaginary person dissenting me.

Given the talent on the team - a decent infield defense backed by a bad outfield defense with two "OK" catchers behind the plate and an offense that has finally started to hit the ball - where COULD they have added a piece that would make sense not only for this current season, but for seasons (plural) yet to come, while also NOT killing the incredibly small amount of depth the Sox have in the minor league system as it is?

They have no pieces to deal (sale nor buying; minor versus major), yet are not entirely out of the race. Even if they were, they are guaranteed the services or compensation for Jeff Samardzija during the 2016 season, and really, there's no one else they could trade worth a damn.

Live in the moment. When the Sox finish 79-83, be happy you saw some OK players take the field for the Sox. Then remind a Cubs fan that they suck a big fat dong. Also, remind them of World Series dates, because f*** the Cubs.

Also, because when I'm drunk, I like to pat myself on the back, I think this is the best post I ever made on this website. I have a few of them!

[this post is probably the worst post because I am now that guy that likes his own post on Facebook. I suck. But this stuff is still true!]s

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 04:25 AM)
Also, because when I'm drunk, I like to pat myself on the back, I think this is the best post I ever made on this website. I have a few of them!

[this post is probably the worst post because I am now that guy that likes his own post on Facebook. I suck. But this stuff is still true!]s

Where in the world have you been?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 04:21 AM)
Live in the moment. When the Sox finish 79-83, be happy you saw some OK players take the field for the Sox.

Sadly, this is what a half a century's worth of ineptitude can do to a fan base. "Be happy" for a "79-83" record because you got to see "some OK players take the field for the Sox"? I mean, really? You are perfectly fine settling for that because, why? We can tell a Cubs fan we've been to the World Series more recently than their team has? Really? Do Cardinals or Yankees or Giants or Red Sox fans have this kind of mindset and set the bar this low? Holy moly - Sox management must love you. "Accept our mediocrity, don't be mad at our routine meager results, and oh, by the way, while yer at it, come to our park, buy our tickets, purchase our parking, food and merchandise, and watch us on TV. And oh, how do ya like our OK players? Don't they look great in the '83 unis?" Lol - GMAFB!!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
Sadly, this is what a half a century's worth of ineptitude can do to a fan base. "Be happy" for a "79-83" record because you got to see "some OK players take the field for the Sox"? I mean, really? You are perfectly fine settling for that because, why? We can tell a Cubs fan we've been to the World Series more recently than their team has? Really? Do Cardinals or Yankees or Giants or Red Sox fans have this kind of mindset and set the bar this low? Holy moly - Sox management must love you. "Accept our mediocrity, don't be mad at our routine meager results, and oh, by the way, while yer at it, come to our park, buy our tickets, purchase our parking, food and merchandise, and watch us on TV. And oh, how do ya like our OK players? Don't they look great in the '83 unis?" Lol - GMAFB!!

Drunk sarcasm obviously doesn't cut through your unending desire to complain about Reinsdorfs ownership in every post your make

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 02:28 PM)

excellent. :cheers

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
It's really that simple. The White Sox had one tradeable piece. If they didn't get the right offer for Shark, than I'm glad they didn't move him.

it really isn't that easy of a answer. but no matter what, no one is going to say that the offer on the table was not more values than a drafted player who may not even see the majors, if that person make it, some 3-4+ yrs from now.

remember that 3-yr plan???

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
It's really that simple. The White Sox had one tradeable piece. If they didn't get the right offer for Shark, than I'm glad they didn't move him.

But it is ironic. The guys rumored to be available like Kazmir, Cueto, Hamels and Price all ended up getting moved. So those teams found the right offer but the Sox didn't. I don't think the Sox really wanted to trade Shark unless they got knocked off their feet. That is okay since I actually think the FO thinks they are still in contention. But come October, if they don't at least get a wildcard and Shark walks for a comp pick, then they made a bad decision.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)
But it is ironic. The guys rumored to be available like Kazmir, Cueto, Hamels and Price all ended up getting moved. So those teams found the right offer but the Sox didn't. I don't think the Sox really wanted to trade Shark unless they got knocked off their feet. That is okay since I actually think the FO thinks they are still in contention. But come October, if they don't at least get a wildcard and Shark walks for a comp pick, then they made a bad decision.

Look at what the Marlins got for Latos That's more along the lines of what the Sox would have expected for Samardzija (maybe a little more). The difference here is that the Sox are closer to the race, really seem to like Jeff, and will have no problem offering arbitration if it gets to that point. Any offer any team made would have had to have been better than a top 50 pick.

Doing nothing was totally defendable.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)

Jesus dude. We're talking about baseball, not the Cold War. The Sox are in the race, and doing anything drastic would have been terrible.

If you think I'm naive enough to believe that the Sox aren't in a terrible position as a franchise - not a ton of talent on or near the MLB roster, no room to budge in the budget, and the only real good answer is a lengthy rebuild, which would suck - then I just showed you I'm not.

All the same, the Sox are currently 3.5 back of a playoff spot, have played very well of late, and it's actually fun watching them lately. Maybe relax and realize that, if they don't make the playoffs, you are not going to die.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:36 AM)

100% disagree here. We don't know the front office's long-term plans and what kind of offers they were actually getting for Shark. If they have any interest in resigning him during free agency, having a comp pick attached to him will improve their chances greatly. So basically by not trading Shark at the deadline, they've maintained a strong rotation for a playoff run, improved their negotiating leverage in free agency, and ensured themselves a comp pick if leaves. IMO, it would have taken a big return to forego those benefits, something like the Tigers got for Price. I'm pretty confident they didn't pass up on that kind of offer.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
Look at what the Marlins got for Latos That's more along the lines of what the Sox would have expected for Samardzija (maybe a little more). The difference here is that the Sox are closer to the race, really seem to like Jeff, and will have no problem offering arbitration if it gets to that point. Any offer any team made would have had to have been better than a top 50 pick.

Doing nothing was totally defendable.

Except I'm not sure they were prepared to make a qualifying offer to him from a financial perspective...and assume the risk he actually decided to return on a one-year deal.

He's probably rebuilt his value to the point where he wouldn't consider a three year deal the better option, though, and has got another two mph on his fb recently.

Iwakuma's the one I would go after though, if they can't re-sign Shark. He's missed too many starts this year to rebound to full value.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
Except I'm not sure they were prepared to make a qualifying offer to him from a financial perspective...and assume the risk he actually decided to return on a one-year deal.

He's probably rebuilt his value to the point where he wouldn't consider a three year deal the better option, though, and has got another two mph on his fb recently.

Iwakuma's the one I would go after though, if they can't re-sign Shark. He's missed too many starts this year to rebound to full value.

that is a great point..... how many players will get that QO ??

the sox can really replenish the missing pieces via this rt and in the mean time let the org continue to rebuild.

but the need of what will be available will be the catching position. that hole may need to be address somehow.

Part of me is kind of glad we aren't some perennial powerhouse. Well maybe. Take the BHawks for example: i grew up playing hockey and loving the hawks. It was like 10 bucks to go to a game. 2010 was the coolest thing that ever happened, couldn't miss a game. Then in '13 i watched every game after the all-star break and it was cool. This year I barely watched the playoffs. I almost got numb to them being so good and found myself thinking "This is what being a Patriots fan must be like. I'll pay attention when they're in the conference finals". So now I'm spoiled and hockey, my passion, is kinda ruined for now. It's still cool but it's different. We're almost TOO good.

So cheers to our tortured souls watching our imperfect team. It'll be that much sweeter when Tyler Flowers pulls a Jeff Blumm in the World Series. :cheers

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 3, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Part of me is kind of glad we aren't some perennial powerhouse. Well maybe. Take the BHawks for example: i grew up playing hockey and loving the hawks. It was like 10 bucks to go to a game. 2010 was the coolest thing that ever happened, couldn't miss a game. Then in '13 i watched every game after the all-star break and it was cool. This year I barely watched the playoffs. I almost got numb to them being so good and found myself thinking "This is what being a Patriots fan must be like. I'll pay attention when they're in the conference finals". So now I'm spoiled and hockey, my passion, is kinda ruined for now. It's still cool but it's different. We're almost TOO good.

So cheers to our tortured souls watching our imperfect team. It'll be that much sweeter when Tyler Flowers pulls a Jeff Blumm in the World Series. :cheers

excellent POV.

but for me, i will greatly enjoy that journey to get to that point.

the journey.... i can only dream... of consecutive yrs like that.