8/28 Games

BlackSox13

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 28, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
That's a game score, not a pitch count. Don't ask me what a game score means though.

It's a way of quantifying a pitcher's performance in a game, kinda like passer rating for QBs in football. You get points for innings competed, strikeouts etc... And points deducted for hits, runs and so on.

Corey Kluber had one of the all time high scores this season with I think a 98. That was a CG shutout one hitter no BB's and 18 K's for comparisons sake.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 12:44 AM)
So what's the ETA on Fulmer? '17 like Anderson?

Trib had an article a couple days ago where they threw in the under-the-radar talk about a callup for him this year.

One of the toughest parts of the beginning of Carson Fulmer's professional pitching career is not pitching.

The right-handed Fulmer, the No. 8 draft pick by the White Sox in June, is on an innings limit because of the 127 2/3 innings he pitched at Vanderbilt this year. For a prospect itching to prove himself, it's not always easy to leave after three innings in his starts with Class A Winston-Salem.

"Being competitive and being a person who loves being out there for as long as I can, it's frustrating, but I know the White Sox have a plan," Fulmer said. "I'm willing to take a back seat, just be along for the ride and do whatever they have planned."

Otherwise, Fulmer said he hasn't found the transition to pro ball difficult, mostly because of his experience attending Vanderbilt, which he called "by far the best decision I've made in my entire life." The biggest challenge has been mentally preparing himself for games every day for the first time in his life.

Entering his start Friday, Fulmer had pitched in seven professional games, including one in the Arizona Rookie League. In six starts for Winston-Salem, he had a 2.81 ERA with seven walks and 17 strikeouts in 16 innings.

His success makes another promotion a possibility before the end of the year, but a leap to the big leagues appears unlikely because the Sox have been cautious with his workload.

"That stuff is out of my control," Fulmer said. "Being able to be a part of this organization is special, and I'm fortunate to have it. I just want to help whatever I'm a part of win and help the organization as much as possible. Hopefully I'll be at that stage one day."

That's sort of exactly how they were talking with Rodon last year. Whispers about a callup but being coy about it.

My best guess still remains he'll be on a very similar path to Rodon. Get to 140ish innings this year, start in AAA for a game or two next year after ST, and then comes up to the big leagues, maybe stays in the pen for a couple weeks giving Danks or EJ starts, then takes over a rotation slot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Trib had an article a couple days ago where they threw in the under-the-radar talk about a callup for him this year. That's sort of exactly how they were talking with Rodon last year. Whispers about a callup but being coy about it.

My best guess still remains he'll be on a very similar path to Rodon. Get to 140ish innings this year, start in AAA for a game or two next year after ST, and then comes up to the big leagues, maybe stays in the pen for a couple weeks giving Danks or EJ starts, then takes over a rotation slot.

as much as i hate to ask this, but isn't Rodon upside suppose to be greater than Fulmer???

so isn't it possible to expect different results in his development vs Rodon development.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 10:19 AM)
I do think Fulmer, at least as a starter, has more polishing needed than Rodon. We've seen Rodon struggle with command this year but IMO Fulmer has even more work to do in that regard.

Think about that in the same context as Rodon then...where is he likely to be forced to work on that command, in the minors where people regularly expand the zone against guys who have overpowering stuff? Or does he need to face big league hitters and suffer against them a few times to really see how important control in and around the strike zone is?

The same reasons why Rodon staying in the big leagues while struggling this year was the right move could well suggest Fulmer should get a shot to struggle in the big leagues early next year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 10:21 AM)
as much as i hate to ask this, but isn't Rodon upside suppose to be greater than Fulmer???

so isn't it possible to expect different results in his development vs Rodon development.

The upside of both of them is "#1 starter in the big leagues after a couple years in the big leagues and Cy Young contender by the time they reach free agency". Rodon slightly better since he's a lefty? Sure I'll go with that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
The upside of both of them is "#1 starter in the big leagues after a couple years in the big leagues and Cy Young contender by the time they reach free agency". Rodon slightly better since he's a lefty? Sure I'll go with that.

excellent. i always thought Rodon was a weak to solid #1. whereas Fulmer is a #2 or ???

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 29, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
Rodon was much more polished out of college than Fullmer. Fulmer has a goofy, vicious delivery that they really need to straighten out to get full value out of him.

and that is what i was looking for .