Deep Dive on Moncada, Kopech

NorthSideSox72

Kopech's arsenal is built around the aforementioned fastball, which he ran run up to 105, but sits comfortably between 96-100. Kopech achieves this type of exceptional velocity thanks to some arm acceleration that some scouts have rarely seen. Despite the outstanding velocity, Kopech features an easy delivery with no major mechanical red flags to speak of.

"comfortably between 96-100"

Everything I read about Kopech tells me he's gonna be a great fit for Coop-Herm

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 11:00 PM)
Yea. The Sale trade has a chance to be a new age Cano and Syndergaard for us at best. A complete f***ing s*** show at worst.

That's how prospects work.

That said, for a guy who has been named the #1 prospect in all of baseball (Moncada), the history of failure at that level is very small. Almost all those guys provide at least some major league value, and a substantial number become stars.

Kopech is more of the low floor guy, he's someone who (even if healthy) could end up barely touching the majors due to command and/or off-field stuff (or injury). The other two guys are true prospects - Basabe could be an above average major league starter, or he could never see the majors.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (southside guru @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I heard from a Phillies fielding guy that Moncada can't play the middle. Body looks the part. but the hands don't work! My bet - he's heading to 3b of the OF

Several scouts have indicated he lacks fundamentals there, but he does make highlight reel plays so its just a matter of consistency. He was passable at 3B when the Red Sox put him there, but some believe he would be utilize his speed in CF. It will be very interesting to see what Sox do with him.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Several scouts have indicated he lacks fundamentals there, but he does make highlight reel plays so its just a matter of consistency. He was passable at 3B when the Red Sox put him there, but some believe he would be utilize his speed in CF. It will be very interesting to see what Sox do with him.

Well they will obviously give him time at second. How long before they decided he should be used at 3B or in the OF is the real question.

QUOTE (southside guru @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
I heard from a Phillies fielding guy that Moncada can't play the middle. Body looks the part. but the hands don't work! My bet - he's heading to 3b of the OF

One theme we have seen over the years is that the Cuban players don't get drilled in the fundamentals the same way that the American kids do. We saw it with older players like Alexei and Abreu, and we saw it with Dayan. That doesn't mean he can't do it, but he will definitely need reps.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
Shoveled together from many sources, here's our deeper dive into Moncada and Kopech. Give it a read, includes embedded videos too.

Similar article on the other two prospects coming tomorrow.

Really great stuff.

I'm not a batting expert by any stretch, but if the worry on Moncada is that he comes to the majors and fails to make consistent contact, would the White Sox be wise to encourage him to bat from the left?

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jan 9, 2017 -> 06:14 PM)
Really great stuff.

I'm not a batting expert by any stretch, but if the worry on Moncada is that he comes to the majors and fails to make consistent contact, would the White Sox be wise to encourage him to bat from the left?

Thanks for the kind words. I thought the same thing, but when I asked around, experts and scouts seem convinced his righty swing still has a lot of potential. Almost all his power numbers came from the left, but I was told he still has tremendous power from the right.

• 4 weeks later...