White Sox trade deadline

Kyyle23

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman

chisox, who already have brought in a bonanza of prospects, still seeking deals for clippard, gonzalez and holland

7:23 AM · Jul 31, 2017 from Jersey City, NJ

Last day of non waiver deals, do you think any of these guys go?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 07:52 AM)
Last day of non waiver deals, do you think any of these guys go?

Maybe Gonzalez. I don't know why any contender would want the other 2 or would think they couldn't clear waivers.

A contender happily dumped Clippard. Holland has been just as bad as James Shields was last season his last 10 starts or so.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Should Pelfrey be included? He has been solid this season but probably worthless since he hasn't been in the pen all season and that is probably where he would provide any sort of worth

Someone played too much softball in the sun this weekend.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
Should Pelfrey be included? He has been solid this season but probably worthless since he hasn't been in the pen all season and that is probably where he would provide any sort of worth

I don't think he'd have much value if any to a contending club for the reasons you mentioned, but he could be an important piece for us down the stretch to soak up innings. If we somehow trade both Gonzalez & Holland, we're going to need some bodies who can multiple innings even if we call Lopez & possibly Giolito and Pelfrey makes sense as one of those guys.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
Definitely Gonzo. I'll say Holland as a PTBNL or cash considerations type (maybe even after the deadline on the waiver wire). I think Clippard stays the rest of the year.

I think someone takes Holland and tries him as a LOOGY. Clippard you might as well pitch through August and hope some team has an injury and maybe Clippard has shown something by then. Long-shot I know, but otherwise he can just be another body in the pen and obviously we need some of those.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:21 AM)
I'm pretty sure at this point the only players who make more than Holland on the White Sox are Shields and Abreu.

Lucky guess by $100k, ha. Holland is at $6, MiGo is at $5.9. Then Clippard is the only other player making 7 figures.

The bottom line is unless they decide to trade Abreu or maybe Avi, the prospects coming back won't be very interesting. Gonzalez is a 5th starter really on a good team, if that. If Holland had signed with a contender and not the White Sox, he would have been released by now. Pelfrey will get you nothing. He was already available for free to all the teams. After a slow start, Hahn has gotten rid of just about everything he wanted to get rid of that would net them at least something that had a chance.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:45 AM)
The bottom line is unless they decide to trade Abreu or maybe Avi, the prospects coming back won't be very interesting. Gonzalez is a 5th starter really on a good team, if that. If Holland had signed with a contender and not the White Sox, he would have been released by now. Pelfrey will get you nothing. He was already available for free to all the teams. After a slow start, Hahn has gotten rid of just about everything he wanted to get rid of that would net them at least something that had a chance.

You gotta count on your scouts to find those low-A gems that could potentially be available. Guys with flaws you think can be fixed. I don't think anyone is expecting big returns for any of the remaining guys. Just something. Something is better than nothing at all for a guy you're losing in 2 months.

Edited by soxfan2014

I think we might be surprised on the MiGo return. He's probably a bit more valuable than Melky was, even with some pretty poor peripherals for much of this year.

Holland makes no sense unless it's for the pen. Petricka maybe if someone banks on a return to form? His peripherals are fine. Yolmer?

I also wonder if guys like Leury or Avi would've been moved if not for the injuries.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:50 AM)
You gotta count on your scouts to find those low-A gems that could potentially be available. Guys with flaws you think can be fixed. I don't think anyone is expecting big returns for any of the remaining guys. Just something. Something is better than nothing at all for a guy you're losing in 2 months.

Yeah, I get that. But what the Sox have to offer at this point gets you a huge longshot at best, and if they are now as stacked in the minors as many believe, it will be a player that probably isn't going to get much of an opportunity. They will be in the back of a very long line. The White Sox minor league system is turning the exact opposite of their major league team. Not much of an opportunity unless you have a decent resume.

Edited by Dick Allen

If we trade Holland, MiGo and Pelf, who's going to pitch rest of the season? Call up Lopez? Volstad? Should we start stretching Leury's arm now so he could pitch more than 1 inning?

I am not sure if these guys are worth trading, will probably go for guys we will never heard of again, e.g. Blackmar and Chalas.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
If we trade Holland, MiGo and Pelf, who's going to pitch rest of the season? Call up Lopez? Volstad? Should we start stretching Leury's arm now so he could pitch more than 1 inning?

I am not sure if these guys are worth trading, will probably go for guys we will never heard of again, e.g. Blackmar and Chalas.

Rodon and Shields for sure, Lopez gets the call-up, maybe Danish or Volstad, Holmberg and Beck can move to the rotation. Fulmer shouldn't be called up. Maybe Giolito. They have enough guys as options to cover the final 2 spots (or 3 if they want to do a 6-man rotation).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)

If a starter is moved lopez is for sure coming up. If 2 starters are moved then maybe giolito. Its getting to be the time for some of the starting pitching prospects to get their feet when now or September call ups cause the sox only have rodon and shields in the rotation next year. I could see the sox siging a veteran on low deal but you got the specs and time to see what they can do

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
If a starter is moved lopez is for sure coming up. If 2 starters are moved then maybe giolito. Its getting to be the time for some of the starting pitching prospects to get their feet when now or September call ups cause the sox only have rodon and shields in the rotation next year. I could see the sox siging a veteran on low deal but you got the specs and time to see what they can do

The big problem other than I wonder how much you want to expose very young pitchers to very little chance of winning, is innings. I don't think the White Sox want these guys pitching regular rotation turns until October 1. Just remember 2007 when they shut John Danks down early.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
The big problem other than I wonder how much you want to expose very young pitchers to very little chance of winning, is innings. I don't think the White Sox want these guys pitching regular rotation turns until October 1. Just remember 2007 when they shut John Danks down early.

That's why I'm thinking they could go 6-man rotation. This scenario with Pelfrey and Holland gone: 1. Rodon 2. Shields 3. Lopez 4. Holmberg (has started games for us) 5. Danish 6. Beck/Volstad. But good change at least one of Pelfrey and Holland are here.

In September, their bullpen can have an extra 4-5 arms as well.

Edit: who knows, maybe they make a minor trade and pick up another veteran arm pitching in the minors on another team to start games for the Sox at the MLB level (similar to the Lowe and Machi move).

Edited by soxfan2014