Gray traded to the Yankees

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
Also worthwhile on the Otani front.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 2m2 minutes ago

Source: In addition to Sonny Gray, the Yankees are getting $1.5M in international bonus money.

10 replies 57 retweets 95 likes

Considering the Yankees were very much in on Quintana as well, would you have accepted this return for Q? I would not have.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
Beane trying to buy low on injured players. Mateo is a nice centerpiece, though. Yankees system has taken a pretty major hit.

I feel the Yankees did very well in this deal. They did not get coaxed into dealing Torres/Frazier/Adams/Sheffield, and surrendered 2 injured prospects and 1 who's stock has been slipping in Mateo.

Jimenez is a significantly better prospect than anyone in this deal, and an argument could be made for Cease being a better prospect now as well.

A's failed to leverage Gray into a truly elite prospect, so I currently consider this to be a failure on their part.

Edited by steveno89

Imagine that the headliner yankees were trying for was Rutherford re: white sox.

I like Fowler. I like Mateo. I like Kaprellian. It's fine. I'm very glad this is not all we got for Quintana. I'm glad we got another "elite" prospect.

I continue to not be impressed with any other deal. I've liked some of the smaller trades, but in general despite not loving rutherford it's not like there's an example of a team getting someone i love that we had a comparable guy to.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
Beane trying to buy low on injured players. Mateo is a nice centerpiece, though. Yankees system has taken a pretty major hit.

They've still put themselves where they needed to be.

They didn't trade Sanchez, Torres, or Frazier.

They got a big performance boost from judge that no one saw coming.

They haven't taken on payroll and have a shot to get below the tax level this year if they want to, which would save them like $30 million a year starting after 2018.

They picked up a couple of cost controlled bullpen and rotation guys to go with that.

They don't really need to worry about the system taking a hit when they still have their top 4 guys from it all as big league contributors and so many guys are cost controlled for several years.

Gray is not on the level of Quintana, and I have never really been enamored with Quintana. Gray has injury risks, less control, is not as good of a pitcher, not a lefty...he's a clear step down. So comparing the two deals is kind of a fool's errand.

Oakland has given themselves a very intriguing SS prospect who's stock is back on the rise as the centerpiece and two injured-but-talented players that, if they make full recoveries, present a ton of potential. Its a nice trade for Oakland.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
A's failed to leverage Gray into a truly elite prospect, so I currently consider this to be a failure on their part.

If the price for Gray was substantially more than this, I would not have been in the running for him as a GM. Too high risk. This seems roughly fair value for him given his career.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
Imagine that the headliner yankees were trying for was Rutherford re: white sox.

I like Fowler. I like Mateo. I like Kaprellian. It's fine. I'm very glad this is not all we got for Quintana. I'm glad we got another "elite" prospect.

I continue to not be impressed with any other deal. I've liked some of the smaller trades, but in general despite not loving rutherford it's not like there's an example of a team getting someone i love that we had a comparable guy to.

None of us will love the Rutherford deal unless he starter to show some power next season. He's not been awful at the plate or anything, but he will need more pop to profile as a corner OF.

Yankees likely maxed out their Q offer at: Rutherford + Adams + third piece + lotto

Braves likely offered: Albies + Gohara/Anderson/Wentz + third piece + lotto

Those are not terrible offers, but we all prefer the Cubs return right now.

If the price for Gray was substantially more than this, I would not have been in the running for him as a GM. Too high risk. This seems roughly fair value for him given his career.

There is just no way Gray was going to attract a prospect like Jimenez. Its a minor miracle Quintana fetched someone that good. Really, with the injury to Torres (dont tell me TJ doesn't matter for hitter, anything that puts a player out for the year worries me at least a little bit) the Yankees were not going to be able to match the Cubs' headliner. Aside from Moncada and maybe Devers I'm not sure there's a player who was in the minors at the time of the Q trade I'd want more than Jimenez.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:22 PM)
Gray is not on the level of Quintana, and I have never really been enamored with Quintana. Gray has injury risks, less control, is not as good of a pitcher, not a lefty...he's a clear step down. So comparing the two deals is kind of a fool's errand.

Oakland has given themselves a very intriguing SS prospect who's stock is back on the rise as the centerpiece and two injured-but-talented players that, if they make full recoveries, present a ton of potential. Its a nice trade for Oakland.

I don't see how it's a fools errand they were the top two cost-controlled SPs on the market and the teams after gray were the teams after Quintana. We should expect a bit more for Quintana due to control, but prior to the trades nobody was making this out to be some huge variance between the two.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
Great deal for the Yankees, both in the short term and the long term.

Parlaying Kaprelian, who has pitched only 29 innings since he was drafted in 2015, into a significant piece in this deal was a big win by the Yankees. He will turn 24 next spring and be coming off TJS, likely still a full minor league season away from being mlb ready.

If not for Mateo's hot last 30 games at AA his stock would have fallen even more than it did.

Fowler's injury really raises questions, as who knows how well he will recover from major knee surgery?

Yankees gave up only question marks and gained 2 1/2 seasons of control

Yankees give up two kids coming off MAJOR injuries, with 1, the pitcher Kaprelien appearing injury proned. Early returns is it's a good deal for the Yankees, but if those 2 kids get over their injuries and Mateo can become what many think he will become, the As have 3 bonafide talents here. A good trade for both I think. I like the top end of the deal the Sox got for Q, Eloys pushes the Sox take over the top in my view. Had this been the return for Q I'd have balked, too much risk, despite the young talent, for a better more controlled pitcher.

Overall, a solid TDL for all involved.

I don't see how it's a fools errand they were the top two cost-controlled SPs on the market and the teams after gray were the teams after Quintana. We should expect a bit more for Quintana due to control, but prior to the trades nobody was making this out to be some huge variance between the two.

Injury risk is a major, major factor. Handedness matters too.

Gray is to Quintana as Quintana is to Sale. Similar in ways, but ultimately you know which player you'd rather have.