Source: Darvish Traded right at deadline to Dodgers

steveno89

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:30 PM)
Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

now

The Dodgers have sent three minor-leaguers to the Rangers for Yu Darvish; not Verdugo.

i'm going to say calhoun, lux and a lotto ticket

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
i'm going to say calhoun, lux and a lotto ticket

That would be a pretty large return for a three month rental and giving up very soon on Lux. I'd guess Calhoun plus two lotto tickets.

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:33 PM)
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan

9s

Source: Dodgers send Calhoun, Alexy and Davis to Rangers for Yu Darvish. Deal done.

Not a bad return for a three month rental of a slumping Darvish. Calhoun does not really have a position and might be best suited as an AL DH. Alexy has promise and is only 19. Davis looks like a throw in.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:36 PM)
Not a bad return for a three month rental of a slumping Darvish. Calhoun does not really have a position and might be best suited as an AL DH. Alexy has promise and is only 19. Davis looks like a throw in.

Considering they didn't have the leverage of a first round draft pick on their side if they offered a QO and got declined, this is a good get.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)
Seems like the price for pitching has gone done. Glad Rick made the moves when he did for Q and Sale.

Astros just put McCullers on the DL...I really wonder if they will regret not paying up to land an impact starter?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
Rangers hit this one out of the park.

2 lottery tickets and a young player with high-HR, high OBP, high walk, low strikeout potential for 3 months of a pitcher having a mediocre at best season? Incredible.

I am not an enamored. Its a fine deal, but I wouldn't be that excited if I were a Texas fan. Not to mention the rest of their deals sucked.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
I am not an enamored. Its a fine deal, but I wouldn't be that excited if I were a Texas fan. Not to mention the rest of their deals sucked.

I agree, especially since Calhoun likely ends up at DH. But I don't think they could have done much better either, so I think both teams came out OK in the deal.

Say what you want about Darvish, but if he's on, he's dominant. That's what you need in the playoffs. My issue with LA's always been their lack of pitching depth behind Kershaw in the playoffs. We saw how useless their pitchers were after Kershaw and Hill against the Cubs last year. If Darvish stays healthy, they should be set in the rotation. I still think their bullpen is very iffy outside of Kenley though.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
I agree, especially since Calhoun likely ends up at DH. But I don't think they could have done much better either, so I think both teams came out OK in the deal.

Exactly. They weren't in a position to hold onto him and possibly receive more. If they offered a QO and he declined and signed elsewhere, it's a pick after third round instead of first right?

Edited by soxfan2014

Even though it's up to our dev guys/players/scouts to succeed now, I feel so grateful we sold when we did.

Yeah, Darvish for 3 months. Shouldn't get you that much. Still seems like it would have in other years.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
I understand that this may put LA over the top, but in terms of the trade itself, I just feel as though the baseball world is generally overvaluing 3 months of Darvish and underrating Calhoun as a prospect.

I think one aspect from LA's perspective is they could've looking at this as first dibs on re-signing Dervish in the off-season. I think once the season ends there's an exclusive 15 day window the team has to talk to the impending FA .

Calhoun is definitely underrated and I think it's from his poor defense and small size. Personally, I think Calhoun's power is legit and will show in the big leagues. But for most, they probably won't be sold until the MLB eye test has been performed. Don't know about his defense but as long as his power was legit, I'd have no problem with making Willy the shortest DH in the league if he were on the Sox.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
I think one aspect from LA's perspective is they could've looking at this as first dibs on re-signing Dervish in the off-season. I think once the season ends there's an exclusive 15 day window the team has to talk to the impending FA .

The Dodgers are really close to sneaking beneath the luxury tax line and getting themselves out of the multi-year penalties next year also. They could throw that away & not care, but that has cost them an awful lot of money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:19 PM)
The Dodgers are really close to sneaking beneath the luxury tax line and getting themselves out of the multi-year penalties next year also. They could throw that away & not care, but that has cost them an awful lot of money.

Yeah, I forgot about all the starting pitchers they have under contract. Pretty much all of their starters are signed through at least the '18 season so Darvish might not be realistic if they want under that payroll. Unless they can find takers in the off season for one or more of their many DL swingers (McCarthy/Hill/Kazmir).