Rick Hahn

FT35

I think Rick Hahn is the most interesting part of this. He somehow makes these deals that at the time, seem OK, if not decent moves for us then they turn out to be absolute nightmares. If you're a true White Sox fan, you can't honestly say that the last couple Hot Stove seasons haven't been exciting to follow. Watching us land top free agent talent the last 2 years has given us hope. It wasn't too long ago where we were all like "Wow...not just Jeff Samardzija, but David Robertson TOO!? Holy crap! Nice LH power bat--LaRoche. Then days later--Melky Cabrera!? Then last year, Todd freaking Frazier--still in his prime years?! Nice grab of Lawrie--not really costing us much and plugging a hole. He gets great write ups from good sports writers talking about how he's doing such a great job with what little he has to work with and has landed some solid names at bargain prices while not giving up much--Thompson and Montas being the most notable--but he's been able to keep Fulmer, Anderson and a few others.

These free agents and trade target guys succeed elsewhere, then get here and FLOP--every time. People then turn to guys like Robin and point the fingers. But really there is a fundamental problem...a "corner" that we are backing ourselves into and that is this: We are trying to piece together a team based on who is available in the FREE AGENT market each year instead of drafting well and developing a core of players. This strategy RARELY works and takes such a deep pocket to even employ that only a few teams can support (Boston/New York). The argument can be made--well the guys we've given up haven't been that great (with the exception of Trayce), but they are forgetting that there's value in developing a core group of young talent at the single A level, keeping them together and moving that core of players up through the system until they reach the bigs. From the very beginning, the players always feel a part of the bigger plan and develop a sense of belonging to that plan and the other players in that plan. All it takes is 1 of those core players to get the big league call and it starts an all-out frenzy from the other core prospects to be next. They see their friend get up and they believe in the system and what it holds for THEM. You have strength in that core group--in other words--the beginnings of a TEAM. (Insert soft patriotic music playing in the background).

Every time we deal for a MLB vet, it usually costs us 1-3 pieces of our potential core. It also takes a job away from someone who has spent years in the minors working towards that position. They are always a victim of the depth chart--mentally messed up because they have been talked up (to increase buzz and trade value) but then watch old or underachieving MLB vets like Jimmy Rollins, Austin Jackson and Mat Latos move in and take their job right as camp breaks in to the regular season. Don't think that most players in our farm system don't realize that they are essentially bait the way our front office works. They disconnect from the plan early--and even our top prospects have in the back of their minds that our organization is bad enough that drastic measures take place frequently--even THEY are not safe. You never have a "Core" anything at any level. You never have a group of guys who develop together with a "let's stick together and conquer the world" mentality that forms when you're making $300/month, sleeping on bus floors in the minors. You see guys putting their time in to essentially get traded to an organization where they CAN be a part of something bigger--not just to be a throw in name in a deal for an under-achieving stop gap 2nd baseman. But that's the corner we are in. Only salvaging the MLB roster matters for us--trying to put together a "sellable" attraction to this summer's fans. Meanwhile, you have nothing but a collection of broken (yet expensive) parts and no ecosystem to foster any type of growth at any level in your organization. Their day-to-day approach rules the decisions made--if we lose, we go get someone else, if we win, we keep them--there is no commitment to the future. There's never room on the MLB roster that is reserved for a core group of players developed by the organization.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
I think Rick Hahn is the most interesting part of this. He somehow makes these deals that at the time, seem OK, if not decent moves for us then they turn out to be absolute nightmares. If you're a true White Sox fan, you can't honestly say that the last couple Hot Stove seasons haven't been exciting to follow. Watching us land top free agent talent the last 2 years has given us hope. It wasn't too long ago where we were all like "Wow...not just Jeff Samardzija, but David Robertson TOO!? Holy crap! Nice LH power bat--LaRoche. Then days later--Melky Cabrera!? Then last year, Todd freaking Frazier--still in his prime years?! Nice grab of Lawrie--not really costing us much and plugging a hole. He gets great write ups from good sports writers talking about how he's doing such a great job with what little he has to work with and has landed some solid names at bargain prices while not giving up much--Thompson and Montas being the most notable--but he's been able to keep Fulmer, Anderson and a few others.

These free agents and trade target guys succeed elsewhere, then get here and FLOP--every time. People then turn to guys like Robin and point the fingers. But really there is a fundamental problem...a "corner" that we are backing ourselves into and that is this: We are trying to piece together a team based on who is available in the FREE AGENT market each year instead of drafting well and developing a core of players. This strategy RARELY works and takes such a deep pocket to even employ that only a few teams can support (Boston/New York). The argument can be made--well the guys we've given up haven't been that great (with the exception of Trayce), but they are forgetting that there's value in developing a core group of young talent at the single A level, keeping them together and moving that core of players up through the system until they reach the bigs. From the very beginning, the players always feel a part of the bigger plan and develop a sense of belonging to that plan and the other players in that plan. All it takes is 1 of those core players to get the big league call and it starts an all-out frenzy from the other core prospects to be next. They see their friend get up and they believe in the system and what it holds for THEM. You have strength in that core group--in other words--the beginnings of a TEAM. (Insert soft patriotic music playing in the background).

Every time we deal for a MLB vet, it usually costs us 1-3 pieces of our potential core. It also takes a job away from someone who has spent years in the minors working towards that position. They are always a victim of the depth chart--mentally messed up because they have been talked up (to increase buzz and trade value) but then watch old or underachieving MLB vets like Jimmy Rollins, Austin Jackson and Mat Latos move in and take their job right as camp breaks in to the regular season. Don't think that most players in our farm system don't realize that they are essentially bait the way our front office works. They disconnect from the plan early--and even our top prospects have in the back of their minds that our organization is bad enough that drastic measures take place frequently--even THEY are not safe. You never have a "Core" anything at any level. You never have a group of guys who develop together with a "let's stick together and conquer the world" mentality that forms when you're making $300/month, sleeping on bus floors in the minors. You see guys putting their time in to essentially get traded to an organization where they CAN be a part of something bigger--not just to be a throw in name in a deal for an under-achieving stop gap 2nd baseman. But that's the corner we are in. Only salvaging the MLB roster matters for us--trying to put together a "sellable" attraction to this summer's fans. Meanwhile, you have nothing but a collection of broken (yet expensive) parts and no ecosystem to foster any type of growth at any level in your organization. Their day-to-day approach rules the decisions made--if we lose, we go get someone else, if we win, we keep them--there is no commitment to the future. There's never room on the MLB roster that is reserved for a core group of players developed by the organization.

Rick Hahn has executed the plan that was given with the funds he's been provided. His job is ridiculously hard. Rick Hahn understands the value of a thriving and valuable system. The White Sox drafts have been much improved over the last 4 years. There was nothing in the system prior to that. It was multiple years of poor drafting and development that got the Sox into this mess. The only way out? Multiple years of good drafting and development. The White Sox have some very good starting pitching signed for cheap. They also have Jose Abreu and Adam Eaton for very cheap. Jerry Reinsdorf IMO, is the biggest problem and there's probably nothing that can be done about it until he dies and the team is sold. They take half measures because he wants to take half measures. They want to supplement the core with lightning in the bottle signings and free agents. They don't want to give up draft picks every year(thank god) to sign free agents but they also don't shell out $$ for the big names. They made very substantial offers to Alex Gordon and Yoenis Cespedes this offseason and it didn't work out. It's extremely frustrating because they started the year a couple players short with the mindset that they'd add in season. They may be too far out of it to ever get back in though. Bottom Line: They probably need to either sell off parts or raise the payroll about $40-$50 million. What they will most likely do: Add a LHB with some control (Bruce) and add a reliever or 2 in an attempt to win the WC or division this season while bringing back most of the same guys with a couple more additions for another potential run next season with a new manager. It's just what they do.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Rick Hahn has executed the plan that was given with the funds he's been provided. His job is ridiculously hard. Rick Hahn understands the value of a thriving and valuable system.

If he really does, why did he start trading for rents when he had a young core of 4 and a still developing system?

His story would be different had he had some patience....maybe Williams wouldn't let him be patient. And, indeed, he had no chance if his orders were to build a winner with the Sox budget and veterans (Sox budget isn't that bad, but it's insufficient to build a team if you insist on veterans).

Still, if you consider his acquisitions:

FA signings: Keppinger, Laroche, Cabrera, Beckham, Bonifacio, Duke, Robertson, Jackson, Avilia, Navarro, Latos. Can it get much worse than that?

Puts a lot into Nate Jones, coming off of injury and approaching 30.

Players dumped for virtually nothing, several of whom had productive years after: Thornton, Rios, DeAza

Trades (Good): Eaton, A Garcia /Montas

Trades (Bad -to say the least): Samardzija, Frazier, Shields

Undetermined: Davidson, Lawrie

This is more than bad luck or a bad plan.

Edited by GreenSox

Can we all just drop the Hahn wants something totally different, his hands may be tied, he is just doing what he is told line of thinking.

He has worked with KW and JR for years and years and years. He's had opportunities to go elsewhere. If his philosophy is polar opposite of KW and JR, he either wouldn't be employed by the team, or is too weak to be a guy making decisions.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 10:30 AM)
If he really does, why did he start trading for rents when he had a young core of 4 and a still developing system?

His story would be different had he had some patience....maybe Williams wouldn't let him be patient. And, indeed, he had no chance if his orders were to build a winner with the Sox budget and veterans (Sox budget isn't that bad, but it's insufficient to build a team if you insist on veterans).

It's not even Williams. They have an 80 year old owner that wants to win. It's pretty much that simple.

What players in the minor league system are deserving of places in the big leagues?

Kahnle? Ynoa? Purke? Kevan Smith? Coats? Webb and Petricka got hurt, so that opened up a spot, but it essentially went to Albers because they didn't trust anyone, and Nate Jones returned from his rehab as well.

This whole scenario of all these guys like Erik Johnson, Saladino, Coats and Carlos Sanchez succeeding if they were only given an opportunity is an example of the whole problem. Our system is so bad, guys like Keenyn Walker and Jared Mitchell are treated like prospects and even rated in the Top 10 for a year or two longer than they should be because our system is/was so terrible. More recently, maybe guys like May, Trey M. or Engel who wouldn't make the Top 15 in the best systems in the game.

Look at the Red Sox, for example, they traded Jose Iglesias to the Tigers and he turned out far better than either Davidson or Avi Garcia. And he was their #9 prospect, not even a Top 100 MILB guy.

I'm looking forward to the next post about how Hayes and Delmonico will save the world from dragons.

In reality, we've traded away Thompson, Montas, Semien...and Phegley would be our #2 catcher and pushing for more playing time but probably exposed if given a full-time opportunity.

2B Tim Anderson

RF Eaton

1B Abreu

DH Cabrera

LF Desmond

CF Thompson

3B Semien

C ??? (Phegley back-up)

SS Iglesias

That just goes to show you how narrow the margin is between also-ran and competing with a young core for an extended time period. The roster I compiled would be fun and exciting and dynamic.

Just one mistake, Avi instead of Iglesias and then not signing Desmond....well, two mistakes. AND POOF!!!

Signing Desmond pushes Cabrera to DH and you have a really good team with Saladino and Austin Jackson coming off the bench (where he belongs)...and add one bench bat, let's say, Pedro Alvarez/Raburn/Pearce.

That's a team that could win the division...and wouldn't have needed to trade for Shields because we already had Montas as a 5th, and that can't be worse investing time in him compared to what we're going to see for the next two years with Gonzalez/Shields/Turner/Ranaudo, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Can we all just drop the Hahn wants something totally different, his hands may be tied, he is just doing what he is told line of thinking.

He has worked with KW and JR for years and years and years. He's had opportunities to go elsewhere. If his philosophy is polar opposite of KW and JR, he either wouldn't be employed by the team, or is too weak to be a guy making decisions.

Okay. People's gripe should be that Rick Hahn is okay with being in charge but not really being in charge. I think Rick is responsible for all of the moves but Reinsdorf obviously has to sign off on all of them. That's my point. Rick Hahn may see a viable scenario in which selling off parts makes sense. Kenny may feel the same way but if JR doesn't want to do that, then they need to do what is currently being done.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
Okay. People's gripe should be that Rick Hahn is okay with being in charge but not really being in charge. I think Rick is responsible for all of the moves but Reinsdorf obviously has to sign off on all of them. That's my point. Rick Hahn may see a viable scenario in which selling off parts makes sense. Kenny may feel the same way but if JR doesn't want to do that, then they need to do what is currently being done.

Well then what is the deal with Shields. Was that totally JR? Was it KW, was it Hahn? I think it was all 3. I really don't see where anyone can come to the conclusion that Hahn wants to blow it up. Has he ever hinted it? I think it is just people who want the White Sox to blow it up who are hoping beyond hope Rick Hahn agrees with them. I don't think he does, and my source, which is nobody, is just as good as the source that says he wants to get rid of everyone.

Yeah but can we all agree that a FA signing should never be the foundation of your team over a developed core of players? Use free agency to land the 1 player that puts the team over the top or to fill the 1 position that your system isn't going to produce anytime soon. I feel like they use free agency to as a time to develop a new identity for a team each year depending on who's available--free agency is this team's farm system and it's ridiculously more expensive! It's like eating fast food every meal--(yeah I'm guilty of this too...)

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Well then what is the deal with Shields. Was that totally JR? Was it KW, was it Hahn? I think it was all 3. I really don't see where anyone can come to the conclusion that Hahn wants to blow it up. Has he ever hinted it? I think it is just people who want the White Sox to blow it up who are hoping beyond hope Rick Hahn agrees with them. I don't think he does, and my source, which is nobody, is just as good as the source that says he wants to get rid of everyone.

I agree with this. I think Hahn and KW both weighed the risk and the reward and trusted their scouts and acquired Shields. I think the White Sox have a pro scouting and advanced scouting problem but that's another issue. I don't think Rick Hahn wants to blow it up either. Not sure he could decide to do that without JR's blessing is what I mean though. If Reinsdorf wants to win and keep going for it, they are going to do that. His "going for it' is a half-assed attempt though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)

It's still a mystery. I'd like to point blame too but Shields had 1 bad start in SD and all of a sudden all of the positive that he had done in his career was forgotten and everyone is lauding the scouts who passed. Like they knew he would not be able to get ANYONE out. Are the good scouts the ones who say "no way" to an otherwise solid pitcher after 1 bad start? Or are our guys doing the right thing by saying..let's buy low on this guy because of his multi-year track record of success--he'll turn it around? The only way I'm coming down on our Shields scouts is if they overlooked something else MAJOR going on in his life that is causing this or an injury. What on earth did they miss?? Is it a Chuck Knoblauch case where an all-star player, for some unknown reason, forgets how to throw the ball to 1st base? I agree--our system is broken, but anyway you look at it, you can find decent logic behind the decisions that are made!! I just can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts!!

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)
Hahn just does what he is told. He's a lawyer turned contract negotiator turned GM. There is no evidence that he actually knows anything about baseball talent evaluation.

This times a thousand. Hahn is a privileged dude from Winnetka who has been in over his head as a GM since day one. He is most likely a very smart dude, but his results as a GM are pretty terrible.

• Like 1

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
It's still a mystery. I'd like to point blame too but Shields had 1 bad start in SD and all of a sudden all of the positive that he had done in his career was forgotten and everyone is lauding the scouts who passed. Like they knew he would not be able to get ANYONE out. Are the good scouts the ones who say "no way" to an otherwise solid pitcher after 1 bad start? Or are our guys doing the right thing by saying..let's buy low on this guy because of his multi-year track record of success--he'll turn it around? The only way I'm coming down on our Shields scouts is if they overlooked something else MAJOR going on in his life that is causing this or an injury. What on earth did they miss?? Is it a Chuck Knoblauch case where an all-star player, for some unknown reason, forgets how to throw the ball to 1st base? I agree--our system is broken, but anyway you look at it, you can find decent logic behind the decisions that are made!! I just can't figure it out and it's driving me nuts!!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/james-shiel...up-for-a-while/

QUOTE (Footlongcomiskeydog @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
This times a thousand. Hahn is a privileged dude from Winnetka who has been in over his head as a GM since day one. He is most likely a very smart dude, but his results as a GM are pretty terrible.

A lot of these brainy guys just are not suited for the top roles because they can't think out of the box or in abstract terms. Sure they may be great rote memorizers/walking encyclopedias but that gets you nowhere in the real world.

Edited by soxforlife05

Hahn has a somewhat similar background to Quin Snyder (educationally).

It took Quin a lot of personal struggles and fighting through demons to get back to where he is today...but he's much better for having gone through that adversity.

I don't get the sense "adversity" is a word that has the same meaning at 35th and Shields under JR.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
What players in the minor league system are deserving of places in the big leagues?

Kahnle? Ynoa? Purke? Kevan Smith? Coats? Webb and Petricka got hurt, so that opened up a spot, but it essentially went to Albers because they didn't trust anyone, and Nate Jones returned from his rehab as well.

This whole scenario of all these guys like Erik Johnson, Saladino, Coats and Carlos Sanchez succeeding if they were only given an opportunity is an example of the whole problem. Our system is so bad, guys like Keenyn Walker and Jared Mitchell are treated like prospects and even rated in the Top 10 for a year or two longer than they should be because our system is/was so terrible. More recently, maybe guys like May, Trey M. or Engel who wouldn't make the Top 15 in the best systems in the game.

Look at the Red Sox, for example, they traded Jose Iglesias to the Tigers and he turned out far better than either Davidson or Avi Garcia. And he was their #9 prospect, not even a Top 100 MILB guy.

I'm looking forward to the next post about how Hayes and Delmonico will save the world from dragons.

In reality, we've traded away Thompson, Montas, Semien...and Phegley would be our #2 catcher and pushing for more playing time but probably exposed if given a full-time opportunity.

2B Tim Anderson

RF Eaton

1B Abreu

DH Cabrera

LF Desmond

CF Thompson

3B Semien

C ??? (Phegley back-up)

SS Iglesias

That just goes to show you how narrow the margin is between also-ran and competing with a young core for an extended time period. The roster I compiled would be fun and exciting and dynamic.

Just one mistake, Avi instead of Iglesias and then not signing Desmond....well, two mistakes. AND POOF!!!

Signing Desmond pushes Cabrera to DH and you have a really good team with Saladino and Austin Jackson coming off the bench (where he belongs)...and add one bench bat, let's say, Pedro Alvarez/Raburn/Pearce.

That's a team that could win the division...and wouldn't have needed to trade for Shields because we already had Montas as a 5th, and that can't be worse investing time in him compared to what we're going to see for the next two years with Gonzalez/Shields/Turner/Ranaudo, etc.

Your idea was to have them sign Desmond like a week ago like no teams would have gotten desperate to sign him between when he signed and now.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 20, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)

I think you are underestimating the scouts. They are looking at the pitch gun stat to see what his velocity is. His last start was a disaster but his last 3 starts in San Diego saw a dramatic jump in flyballs being hit. I am sure that is why Boston, so desperate for a starting pitcher, backed off.

Now it may be a mechanical thing that Cooper can fix. Unfortunately, Fenway is a tough place to accomplish it.

Edited by SCCWS

You can see the logic behind most of what he does...but the team is far from benefiting from anything he does. It's the logic that JR is looking for to keep him in his position. Now, I don't like bringing in washed up vets to take playing time away from younger players, but Hahn did that in positions of need (SS, till Timmy was ready), starting rotation (because none of our prospects have exactly taken their MLB opportunities by storm quite yet and Fulmer isn't ready), and DH (because chances are you're not going to put a top prospect in the DH role unless they trade for Kyle Schwarber!)

So far Hahn has fallen in love with the MLB roster band aid fix. He's throwing money at the positions of need. I get it...but I think he would be well served by CUTTING the MLB roster payroll and dumping a good chunk of those dollars into his scouting and MiLB talent/player development personnel. Think how far 25 million would go in assembling a team of some of the best scouts, talent evaluators, player development coaches etc. Think about it...we've got 27M being invested in a James Shields project right now where the payoff is he rediscovers his form and wins 9 games for us from here on out. How many wins could we generate over the years by beefing up other areas of our organization besides our MLB roster?

It's fun playing GM. haha

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 06:06 AM)
Your idea was to have them sign Desmond like a week ago like no teams would have gotten desperate to sign him between when he signed and now.

Because I knew Hahn would never do it...unless it didn't cost him a draft pick. And that Hahn's ego would never allow him to admit that trading for Shark was a disaster, but at least he had that draft pick that he could hang his hat on and push the analysis of the overall impact of the trade 2-3 years into the future. From my perspective, I though JR would look at it as $2 million saved from the draft pool so Desmond would actually cost only $6 million net...but, to Hahn, the Burdi and Hansen picks and the ability to sign both of them were going to be what he partially staked his position on (now it seems that the James Shields Death March is causing this to be completely overlooked).

It's not what I would have done, I was simply trying to predict what our front office would do. Maybe I should make separate statements in every post for my own personal thoughts/ideas/recommendations and WHAT THE SOX WILL ACTUALLY DO, even if it's illogical/inane.

From the moment they didn't trade Samardzija last July, the die was cast about not giving up that pick for anyone but Alex Gordon/Upton.

I was HOPING he would last until June, but obviously that didn't happen because the Rangers understood his versatility and athletic ability.

I must have posted 150-200 times over the offseason why I thought he would be a good signing, IN GENERAL. Why I thought he would be fine in the outfield (and he has been) and why it made perfect sense for the White Sox to sign him for one season to hold down the fort for Anderson while helping to make this year's team more competitive. I posted about it again and again and again until I was blue in the face, and the majority of posters were against it 1) because of his defense at SS, 2) because of his offense falling off the last year or so 3) because he was a NL player, etc. I would say it was about 15-20% for, 80-85% against.

I also argued that Desmond could not only play LF/CF but he also might be able to play 2B or 3B in a pinch...he's just a very good athlete, and all the pressure of passing on that $107 million/7 year extension just got the best of him and it led to a disaster of a season because he was distracted by off field issues. Sure, that's an excuse, and it SHOULDN'T have happened, but that doesn't mean it doesn't or can't happen to pro athletes when hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.

I thought the motivation of playing for a similar contract to the one he turned down would be the spark he needed...and that the line-up in Texas would give him a ton of protection to put up some really good numbers without expectations for him being so high or as high as they would have been had he stayed in Washington with that contract extension around his neck and the attendant expectations that went with it.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 06:38 AM)
Hahn has a somewhat similar background to Quin Snyder (educationally).

It took Quin a lot of personal struggles and fighting through demons to get back to where he is today...but he's much better for having gone through that adversity.

I don't get the sense "adversity" is a word that has the same meaning at 35th and Shields under JR.

That would be a great comparison if Rick Hahn was a three-year starter at a blue-blood college baseball program and then was an assistant coach for that team while he completed his law degree.

Otherwise, Rick Hahn has a somewhat similar educational background to Johnnie Cochran and Marcia Clark. Does Hahn have an alibi for the night Nicole Brown was murdered? Do I sense a new 30 for 30, "Rick Hahn: Made in America?"

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 07:38 AM)
Because I knew Hahn would never do it...unless it didn't cost him a draft pick. And that Hahn's ego would never allow him to admit that trading for Shark was a disaster, but at least he had that draft pick that he could hang his hat on and push the analysis of the overall impact of the trade 2-3 years into the future. From my perspective, I though JR would look at it as $2 million saved from the draft pool so Desmond would actually cost only $6 million net...but, to Hahn, the Burdi and Hansen picks and the ability to sign both of them were going to be what he partially staked his position on (now it seems that the James Shields Death March is causing this to be completely overlooked).

It's not what I would have done, I was simply trying to predict what our front office would do. Maybe I should make separate statements in every post for my own personal thoughts/ideas/recommendations and WHAT THE SOX WILL ACTUALLY DO, even if it's illogical/inane.

From the moment they didn't trade Samardzija last July, the die was cast about not giving up that pick for anyone but Alex Gordon/Upton.

I was HOPING he would last until June, but obviously that didn't happen because the Rangers understood his versatility and athletic ability.

I must have posted 150-200 times over the offseason why I thought he would be a good signing, IN GENERAL. Why I thought he would be fine in the outfield (and he has been) and why it made perfect sense for the White Sox to sign him for one season to hold down the fort for Anderson while helping to make this year's team more competitive. I posted about it again and again and again until I was blue in the face, and the majority of posters were against it 1) because of his defense at SS, 2) because of his offense falling off the last year or so 3) because he was a NL player, etc. I would say it was about 15-20% for, 80-85% against.

I also argued that Desmond could not only play LF/CF but he also might be able to play 2B or 3B in a pinch...he's just a very good athlete, and all the pressure of passing on that $107 million/7 year extension just got the best of him and it led to a disaster of a season because he was distracted by off field issues. Sure, that's an excuse, and it SHOULDN'T have happened, but that doesn't mean it doesn't or can't happen to pro athletes when hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake.

I thought the motivation of playing for a similar contract to the one he turned down would be the spark he needed...and that the line-up in Texas would give him a ton of protection to put up some really good numbers without expectations for him being so high or as high as they would have been had he stayed in Washington with that contract extension around his neck and the attendant expectations that went with it.

I'm glad they didn't give up a 1st round pick to sign Fowler or Desmond. Those guys aren't worth it.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 06:36 AM)
You can see the logic behind most of what he does...but the team is far from benefiting from anything he does. It's the logic that JR is looking for to keep him in his position. Now, I don't like bringing in washed up vets to take playing time away from younger players, but Hahn did that in positions of need (SS, till Timmy was ready), starting rotation (because none of our prospects have exactly taken their MLB opportunities by storm quite yet and Fulmer isn't ready), and DH (because chances are you're not going to put a top prospect in the DH role unless they trade for Kyle Schwarber!)

So far Hahn has fallen in love with the MLB roster band aid fix. He's throwing money at the positions of need. I get it...but I think he would be well served by CUTTING the MLB roster payroll and dumping a good chunk of those dollars into his scouting and MiLB talent/player development personnel. Think how far 25 million would go in assembling a team of some of the best scouts, talent evaluators, player development coaches etc. Think about it...we've got 27M being invested in a James Shields project right now where the payoff is he rediscovers his form and wins 9 games for us from here on out. How many wins could we generate over the years by beefing up other areas of our organization besides our MLB roster?

It's fun playing GM. haha

JR has always firmly disagreed with this type of philosophy, believing for the most part that almost all revenues should be plugged back into the major league payroll (compared to higher salaries for managers/coaching staff/development/scouting).

The only areas where he apparently is willing to spend above an average amount are 1) Don Cooper, 2) Hahn's assistant GM salary and 3), Herm Schneider.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)
JR has always firmly disagreed with this type of philosophy, believing for the most part that almost all revenues should be plugged back into the major league payroll (compared to higher salaries for managers/coaching staff/development/scouting).

The only areas where he apparently is willing to spend above an average amount are 1) Don Cooper, 2) Hahn's assistant GM salary and 3), Herm Schneider.

Where do you get your information?

He was at the forefront of paying minor league coaches, and has been instrumental in getting scouts more highly paid.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2016 -> 06:40 AM)
That would be a great comparison if Rick Hahn was a three-year starter at a blue-blood college baseball program and then was an assistant coach for that team while he completed his law degree.

Otherwise, Rick Hahn has a somewhat similar educational background to Johnnie Cochran and Marcia Clark. Does Hahn have an alibi for the night Nicole Brown was murdered? Do I sense a new 30 for 30, "Rick Hahn: Made in America?"

He graduated from Duke in 1989 with a double major in philosophy and political science, and, later received a JD from Duke Law School in 1995 and an MBA from the Duke Fuqua School of Business in 1995.[7]

Sounds like nothing in common with Hahn EDUCATIONALLY. Northwestern and Duke are comparable. HLS is a step up from Duke, obviously. But still similar backgrounds.

I was pooh-poohed for questioning Hahn's playing career/athletic background...as if it wasn't important in the least in terms of being a good MLB GM, but I think a lot of people are starting to question what exactly it is that Hahn can do well.