Zack Burdi's pro debut

NorthSideSox72

The 26th overall pick, flame-throwing Zack Burdi, made his one-and-out pro debut in AZL yesterday. Our writer, Kim Contreras, was there, and got video and took some notes. This is FS-exclusive stuff.

Here is the article with video embedded.

He throws hard.

Also FYI he's already on his way to full season ball, should be in Kanny or W-S tomorrow-ish. I'll try to chat with him if he arrives while I'm still down here.

Is there any talk of pushing him up to Chicago THIS season to fill the donut-sized hole where Albers/Petricka used to be?

Did Burdi discuss that with Hostetler/Bell/Hahn was one of the conditions about being drafted by the Sox and his timetable?

What about the rumors (his college coach at LOU was a proponent) of him getting stretched out potentially as a starter in the minors next year?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:10 PM)
Is there any talk of pushing him up to Chicago THIS season to fill the donut-sized hole where Albers/Petricka used to be?

Did Burdi discuss that with Hostetler/Bell/Hahn was one of the conditions about being drafted by the Sox and his timetable?

What about the rumors (his college coach at LOU was a proponent) of him getting stretched out potentially as a starter in the minors next year?

If I get to talk with Burdi, I'll ask about any talk of MLB this year, and certainly about any possibility of him starting now or later.

Nice! I need to get out there and watch...thanks for posting. I've pitched off that/those mounds...for years...at Peoria Sports Complex practice fields...up to a few years ago. Not that anybody gives two craps. Wonder if he'll end up on the Fall League roster?....

Also impressive — he’s now projected by some to be a top 10 pick in tomorrow’s Major League Draft, and there’s some talk that the Detroit Tigers may be looking to take him for the purposes of getting him ready for relief work this season.

“I think Zack has a great opportunity to be up this summer as a bullpen guy, then depending on the organization, to get a shot as a starter,” U of L coach Dan McDonnell said.

So I guess McDonnell would be another prime interview target...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 10:30 PM)
I'd rather he not start. I think what he has working for him is his insane velocity, which could very well be diminished if he has to throw more pitches in a given outing

All depends on the movement of his fastball in the 92-96 range, as opposed to upper 90's.

Not sure if he throws four-seam, two-seam or both. If he has a good sinking fastball, that's usually MUCH more effective taking a little bit off and not overthrowing but I haven't watched him at all on video.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:32 PM)
All depends on the movement of his fastball in the 92-96 range, as opposed to upper 90's.

Not sure if he throws four-seam, two-seam or both. If he has a good sinking fastball, that's usually MUCH more effective taking a little bit off and not overthrowing but I haven't watched him at all on video.

4 seam, slider, devastating change is what I have seen. I saw his fastball with a bit of sink at one point so maybe he's flirted with the two seamer. I think he could appear in Chicago this season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 10:01 PM)
The 26th overall pick, flame-throwing Zack Burdi, made his one-and-out pro debut in AZL yesterday. Our writer, Kim Contreras, was there, and got video and took some notes. This is FS-exclusive stuff.

Here is the article with video embedded.

He throws hard.

Also FYI he's already on his way to full season ball, should be in Kanny or W-S tomorrow-ish. I'll try to chat with him if he arrives while I'm still down here.

what is it with the sox and drafting pitchers with really odd mechanics. This guy starts with both feet on the rubber and his a$$ facing the hitter. Also another guy with no follow through and a low arm slot. Not a big fan of that.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
what is it with the sox and drafting pitchers with really odd mechanics. This guy starts with both feet on the rubber and his a$$ facing the hitter. Also another guy with no follow through and a low arm slot. Not a big fan of that.

I noticed that closed-off start too, like Robbie Gould on the mound. But I am not sure that's a real health issue, is it? Just getting that trunk rotation earlier. The low slot is more my concern, but you tell me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:38 AM)
I noticed that closed-off start too, like Robbie Gould on the mound. But I am not sure that's a real health issue, is it? Just getting that trunk rotation earlier. The low slot is more my concern, but you tell me.

The only health issues would be the hip or back may be the shoulder if he drags the arm too far behind with fatigue depending on how consistent he is with it. There is only a couple of pitches on the video. It's more a command issue with all of the extra twisting. that's a great deal of extra motion to control, of course it could also be the extra force he generates to throw that hard.

The low arm slot is always a debate. Mechanically it does but more stress on the elbow which he does not dissipate with the lack of follow through. With the odd beginning of the motion it may change this. i have no idea as I've never seen anyone start like that and haven't studied anything like it. Theoretically if he keeps his torso closer to his arm, it would decrease some of the forces in his arm. I'll be interested to see more video.

I can see why there was a reluctance to start him in the past. I bet when he fatigues his command goes quickly.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)

And he gradually gets to that point to LOL. So strange how he starts out pretty normal and then starts moving his left leg back further and further until his back is facing the hitter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2016 -> 11:30 PM)
I'd rather he not start. I think what he has working for him is his insane velocity, which could very well be diminished if he has to throw more pitches in a given outing

Maybe. But he could also be a 96-97 mph fastball pitcher with a plus slider and plus changeup.

I think it was his third and fourth warm up pitches on that video that I am trying to figure out what pitch is was that dropped off the face of the earth right before it reached the plate? NASTY....LOL

That toe tap and slow front leg pivot he does at the beginning would drive me absolutely crazy as a hitter. If he varies the interval he comes set before the pitch...I could see that really messing with your timing, especially as a reliever who you face only sporadically.

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)

What's funny is I know he and I saw some of the same pitching instructors in the Chicago area and sometimes they will have you throw some pitches from a similar stance for drillwork. As I had to do it, you'd position your left leg over your right just as you would if you were going to isolate the right leg to touch your toes and stretch that hamstring. That would be the set position out of the stretch. The idea was to give you more of that sensation of being closed and leading with the hip. I suspect Burdi may have done something just like it and felt like it made his mechanics better than what he could do from a conventional set position.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 03:59 PM)
What's funny is I know he and I saw some of the same pitching instructors in the Chicago area and sometimes they will have you throw some pitches from a similar stance for drillwork. As I had to do it, you'd position your left leg over your right just as you would if you were going to isolate the right leg to touch your toes and stretch that hamstring. That would be the set position out of the stretch. The idea was to give you more of that sensation of being closed and leading with the hip. I suspect Burdi may have done something just like it and felt like it made his mechanics better than what he could do from a conventional set position.

Jake, where are you pitching now?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
Jake, where are you pitching now?

No place! I tore my labrum during my senior year of HS (didn't know it then), went to a small academic focused college and pitched for a year before the labrum tear made me too useless to get by on cunning and guile anymore. Despite Anthony Romeo's best efforts, I wasn't quite right after surgery and the time off got me interested in other pursuits. It may be 5 years since I threw a baseball at this point.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
No place! I tore my labrum during my senior year of HS (didn't know it then), went to a small academic focused college and pitched for a year before the labrum tear made me too useless to get by on cunning and guile anymore. Despite Anthony Romeo's best efforts, I wasn't quite right after surgery and the time off got me interested in other pursuits. It may be 5 years since I threw a baseball at this point.

Wow, pitching with a torn labrum huh? Tell me, do you see any similarities to a young Jake and an old Shields?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 24, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)

If he couldn't fix it, no one can. Unless maybe you had a better ptatc. :D

Edited by ptatc