The Wire

Boopa1219

I re-watching The Wire and wanted to see if there are any other people on here who are familar with the show.

In my opinion is one of the greatest television shows off all time, in every aspect from the performances to the cinematography and especially the writing, (Showrunner David Simon wrote every epsiode). I love how each season dives into a different aspect of the 21st century American city (especially the inner cities) whether it's the war on drugs in post 9/11 America, the school system, the political machine or the media.

I'm about to finish up season 1 today, and its even better on subsequent viewings. If you’re unfamiliar with The Wire, you need to check it out.

"The King Stay The King."

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 12:15 AM)
I re-watching The Wire and wanted to see if there are any other people on here who are familar with the show.

In my opinion is one of the greatest television shows off all time, in every aspect from the performances to the cinematography and especially the writing, (Showrunner David Simon wrote every epsiode). I love how each season dives into a different aspect of the 21st century American city (especially the inner cities) whether it's the war on drugs in post 9/11 America, the school system, the political machine or the media.

I'm about to finish up season 1 today, and its even better on subsequent viewings. If you’re unfamiliar with The Wire, you need to check it out.

"The King Stay The King."

It's a great show -- on and off.

The last season stretched reality a bit and had a rushed ending, but it was -- overall -- a really amazing police drama.

Whenever McNulty checked out and made infrequent appearances throughout the show, I felt the show went from an amazing show to a boring, clumsy, plodding nightmare where I was simply wading through garbage until McNulty got interested again, and the second it happened, bam, the show was good again.

Best characters in that show were Stringer, McNulty and Omar.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
It's a great show -- on and off.

The last season stretched reality a bit and had a rushed ending, but it was -- overall -- a really amazing police drama.

Whenever McNulty checked out and made infrequent appearances throughout the show, I felt the show went from an amazing show to a boring, clumsy, plodding nightmare where I was simply wading through garbage until McNulty got interested again, and the second it happened, bam, the show was good again.

Best characters in that show were Stringer, McNulty and Omar.

Marlo is great too.

I just finished my second rewatch a couple of weeks ago. I watched the show when it was airing. I watched them all again probably 6-7 years ago, and then I watched all 5 seasons slowly over the last few months. I've always maintained that season 1 was the best and season 2 was the worst, but for some reason I always gave season 5 a pass. This time around, i'd rank them as follows:

Season 1

Season 3

Season 2

Season 4

--huge gap--

Season 5.

Holy s*** what a terrible final season. The entire McNulty storyline was moronic. Really disappointing. The newspaper angle could have been handled better. Season 4 wasn't very good because it was mostly about the kids and the election with very little McNulty. Season 2 is actually not bad, not as bad as I remember anyway. I just hated Ziggy (and still do). Season 3 has the best ending. And season 1 is maybe the most perfect season of tv ever. Everything is so...crisp? I dunno the word. Ideas that are introduced in the first episode or two pay off in the last episode or two. The pacing is wonderful. The characters are great. It's a pure cop drama but without the network tv procedural crap bringing it down. My favorite scene in the whole show is Bunk and McNulty at a murder scene, saying nothing but the word "f***" as they figure out what happened.