Reds Claim DJ Peterson from White Sox

coco1997

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
Props to the poster who mentioned Peterson as an option.

Thanks. Seemed like a no brainer to me. Sox need to take a chance on as many of these types of guys as possible. If they don't show any reason to hang onto them, you don't. It's one luxury on being bad.

I'm usually all for grabbing guys with some talent when there is little risk beyond the occupied roster spot, but uh...I'm not seeing a ton of talent with this guy. He wasn't really a physical tools guy out of the draft but instead a highly polished hitter, but the polish seems to have worn off.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
I'm usually all for grabbing guys with some talent when there is little risk beyond the occupied roster spot, but uh...I'm not seeing a ton of talent with this guy. He wasn't really a physical tools guy out of the draft but instead a highly polished hitter, but the polish seems to have worn off.

Sure looks like it...but it kind of forces the question...why? Is it something fixable? Instructional staff voices not registering? Stuck in the minors killing his motivation? Issues fitting in with teammates? Bad host family?? Crazy Ex-Girlfriend not going away? So many possibilities...many non baseball possibilities. It's a half scratched lotto ticket with 2-like symbols already showing--why not scratch off the last of it to see if something clicks? Diamonds are in the rough--but you gotta go through the rough to find them.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)

Whats the harm though? The sox had 5 open 40 man spots (with a slew of guys who won't be on it in a few months). If they don't like what they see, they can DFA him whenever and try to keep him in organization. There really is no harm at all, and you never know when a change of scenery makes something click for a guy like this.

Chances of him becoming an asset are very small, but there is literally zero risk.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 09:55 AM)
Whats the harm though? The sox had 5 open 40 man spots (with a slew of guys who won't be on it in a few months). If they don't like what they see, they can DFA him whenever and try to keep him in organization. There really is no harm at all, and you never know when a change of scenery makes something click for a guy like this.

Chances of him becoming an asset are very small, but there is literally zero risk.

This exactly. If something better comes along, you dump him. Heck in a couple of months we are going to have a lot more 40 man spots opening as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 10:22 AM)
This exactly. If something better comes along, you dump him. Heck in a couple of months we are going to have a lot more 40 man spots opening as well.

I'm sure they've been moving someone else there, but right now the only person on Charlotte's roster listed as a 3b is some 28 year old named Gerson Montilla and he's on the DL.

Not like this is a position where we have no slot to put him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
I'm sure they've been moving someone else there, but right now the only person on Charlotte's roster listed as a 3b is some 28 year old named Gerson Montilla and he's on the DL.

Not like this is a position where we have no slot to put him.

Yah, Peterson has split time between 1B and 3B the past few years, but I expect him to play 3B in Charlotte with both Hayes and Gillaspie at 1B.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
This report and video from 2014 provides a good insight into just how highly he was regarded, back then:

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/80378086/sea...shot-at-majors/

Let's just hope that most of our current top prospects don't suffer a similar fate.

That's why I don't care about prospects and why I get excited when a guy like Davidson actually shows promise on a big league diamond. I'm totally outnumbered though, as prospects and the mystery of the future are sexy. And even though a guy like Davidson had some incredible moments this season and was headed for 30 home runs before he got hurt, he's considered a bum because his advanced stats suck. No mention of the fact he might improve and be able to build on a 30 home run season. I truly hope you rebuild people are correct and our organization dominates the AL for years to come.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
That's why I don't care about prospects and why I get excited when a guy like Davidson actually shows promise on a big league diamond. I'm totally outnumbered though, as prospects and the mystery of the future are sexy. And even though a guy like Davidson had some incredible moments this season and was headed for 30 home runs before he got hurt, he's considered a bum. I truly hope you rebuild people are correct and our organization dominates the AL for years to come.

Home runs are only one stat, and you are ignoring every other aspect of Davidson's game. We have been over this before.

He does not make enough contact or draw enough walks to be a starting caliber player on a decent team. His defense is also graded as being considerably below average.

.278 on base % is NOT good for any mlb player, regardless of home runs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
That's why I don't care about prospects and why I get excited when a guy like Davidson actually shows promise on a big league diamond. I'm totally outnumbered though, as prospects and the mystery of the future are sexy. And even though a guy like Davidson had some incredible moments this season and was headed for 30 home runs before he got hurt, he's considered a bum because his advanced stats suck. No mention of the fact he might improve and be able to build on a 30 home run season. I truly hope you rebuild people are correct and our organization dominates the AL for years to come.

Chicks (and Greg) dig the longball.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)

When veteran players like Adam Dunn put up the exact same numbers, they are "bums".

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
.278 on base % is NOT good for any mlb player, regardless of home runs.

My point is he's young enough that he just, uh, might improve?

We're assuming TA might improve. My point is anybody who can hit 30 home runs in his first season and is still young(ish) has a chance. And I'd currently rather support that guy than dream about prospects. His defense I realize is regarded as s***, but I don't think he's been embarrassingly bad yet at 3B. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nobody's been able to explain to me why his performance hasn't dictated any excitement at all. He's a bum and that's that. I guess 26 is considered too old to get anybody excited nowadays. That's the bottom line.

Answer this though: Why is it that Davidson's advanced stats have doomed him to being a boring non prospect when he showed promise in terms of hitting mammoth home runs (actually winning one game with a single up the middle)? At what point do you guys decide the advanced stats cannot be improved upon and a guy has no chance of improving? Is it simply his age? 26 is blah now. The cliche says he's too old to build a solid career.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

We're assuming TA might improve. My point is anybody who can hit 30 home runs in his first season and is still young(ish) has a chance. And I'd currently rather support that guy than dream about prospects. His defense I realize is regarded as s***, but I don't think he's been embarrassingly bad yet at 3B. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nobody's been able to explain to me why his performance hasn't dictated any excitement at all. He's a bum and that's that. I guess 26 is considered too old to get anybody excited nowadays. That's the bottom line.

Answer this though: Why is it that Davidson's advanced stats have doomed him to being a boring non prospect when he showed promise in terms of hitting mammoth home runs (actually winning one game with a single up the middle)? At what point do you guys decide the advanced stats cannot be improved upon and a guy has no chance of improving? Is it simply his age? 26 is blah now. The cliche says he's too old to build a solid career.

Because he's shown no real signs of progress. He is who he is, a dude who hits some dingers but also strikes out too much and doesn't walk nearly enough to be a full time player. He is a bench player or a AAAA player on a good team.

Remember Josh Fields.

Can't help but think that before Davidson's newly found stardom, he was actually a, dare I say it, prospect. Yes, it's true. Before Davidson became an MLB ball player he was an MiLB ball player. That's where little ball players learn how to put their big boy britches on before they get called up to become major league ball players and after that, stardom. Like Davidson.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 01:20 PM)

I don't know why you keep referencing "advanced stats", all of his stats are bad, even the very basic ones with the exception of homeruns, it's literally the only thing he does well and there are 37 players in Major League Baseball with as many HR's as him and 56 with at least 20 and 55 players with at least 300 PA's and a SLG% greater than or equal to Davidson's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
Because he's shown no real signs of progress. He is who he is, a dude who hits some dingers but also strikes out too much and doesn't walk nearly enough to be a full time player. He is a bench player or a AAAA player on a good team.

Remember Josh Fields.

I give up. You guys are looking for a certain type of ballplayer and Davidson doesn't fit the bill. I wish we'd just release him now so I don't have to hear what a non prospect he is. Fields hit 23 home runs in 2007, then 10 homers the rest of his career. So that is a perfect comparison if Davidson is done producing at age 26.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 07:30 PM)
I don't know why you keep referencing "advanced stats", all of his stats are bad, even the very basic ones with the exception of homeruns, it's literally the only thing he does well and there are 37 players in Major League Baseball with as many HR's as him and 56 with at least 20 and 55 players with at least 300 PA's and a SLG% greater than or equal to Davidson's.

You guys win. I thought his rookie season showed promise, but I'm obviously wrong. So on to the next guy. Put Delmonico there.