Buehrle and Cardinals

rventura23

st. louis dispath boldly claims

Buehrle will pitch for the Cardinals one day

also includes

General manager Ken Williams jokingly told Buehrle "that once we get to his free-agent year, I was just going to put a St. Louis Cardinals uniform in his locker and that would be the end of it. For the last five years, he's been talking about it. I don't know if we've got too much of a real shot, and that's OK."

link

that would be a sad day, but I think we'll keep Mark in silver and black

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitching for the Cards has always been a dream for Mark. If he doesn't sign with us, it will suck I admit. But that's not his style. I know he would like to get something done. It's a buisness so we'll see what happens. I would not mind him pitching in the NL though and throwing shutouts against the Cubs every outing he has and such.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Hopefully he'll stay put but obviously it's rare for a guy to be in one uniform for an entire career  nowadays.

Man I tell ya ain't that the truth.. If you would had told me a couple years back Frank Thomas would be wearing an A's (or any other) uniform by 2006, I would have been calling you a dumbass everyday on this board. Hell, I would had thought he was gonna retire with 500 homers if he wasn't injured so frequently. Still, will retire a sox and a future hof.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
I hope he signed at least one more 4-5 year contract with us... but if he goes to the Cardinals I wont be mad at him... if he goes to another team besides them.... I might be a little pissed.

Yeah you can't really blame a guy for wanting to play for his hometown team. Although if JR is still feeling as giving when it comes to a contract for him he will be with us for awhile.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
It would do it to alot fans, me included. For me, Buehrle is the White Sox. He has been the anchor of the organization for 5+ years, and is a CLASS ACT. There isnt a more reliable pitcher in the game today, and he has done nothing but good things for the team and city. It would be a shame if the Sox let Mark slip away.

We've lost a lot of big time players the last few years, losing Mark would be by far the hardest player to lose. It would absolutely kill me.

Assuming we pick up his team option for next season (no brainer at this point), this could play out a lot like the Barry Zito situation currently.

If there was no chance of Buerhle re-signing with us, and say St. Louis offered a trade deal involving players like Anthony Reyes, Adam Wainwright etc. would you possibly be interested in that?

But KW has done a fantastic job in getting our SP's locked up to good fair contracts for both parties, and I think he can do the same here.

This topic is like the movie "Groundhogs Day". Buehrle didnt even say anything about St Louis this time and he is having quotes attributed to him. The Dispatch is just talking s*** right now because their Cards just got swept by the Cubs, which is pretty bad for thier standards. I am not even going to think about Buehrle leaving, because it aint happening this year.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a jeopardy show to memorize, a piano lesson to master, and I am going to take a bath with a toaster to see what happens.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Mark Buehrle is going to be a Palehose for the rest of his life, even if he winds up pitching for the Cardinals.

Maybe the most likely scenario is Buerhle will pitch for the Cards in his last year or last game in baseball.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
Maybe the most likely scenario is Buerhle will pitch for the Cards in his last year or last game in baseball.

I think the most likely scenario is that he'll stay in Chicago. As he's said recently, pitching in his home state would have a lot of drawbacks for a guy who likes to be private in the offseason like he does.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
If nothing else, I think one of the biggest benefits of resigning Garland was that it'll help us resign Buehrle next offseason.

Why so? Are they huge buddies or something?