Danish art group slips a crack at Amenenawhosits in Tehran paper...

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
Well, Iranian Oil Ministers are beginning to publicly say that they dont have the kind of investment they need to fund their oil and gas programs....

So I'd put the over/under at 75.

Yet they have the money for a much more expensive nuclear facility? Ah, it just keeps getting better. Damn I can't wait for $5 a gallon gasoline.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)
They have us by the balls and they know it.

No they don't. Iran knows if they were to quit selling oil on the world market (technically we don't buy oil directly from Iran, we buy it from other OPEC nations, while Iran sells to everyone else) the tenuous hold that the Clerics hold over the people would disappear, because the rich elites would collapse. They know they have to sell oil to stay in power. If we really want to disassociate ourselves with the problems in the middle east we need to do everything we can to pump them dry, that way we HAVE to find an alternative energy source to fuel our economy, and we go back to caring about the middle east like we do subsaharran Africa... I.E. not at all.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Yet they have the money for a much more expensive nuclear facility? Ah, it just keeps getting better. Damn I can't wait for $5 a gallon gasoline.

I guarantee you that they aren't spending 165 billion dollars on their nuclear program. That's the amount foreign bankers estimate that Iran needs to maintain and upgrade their oil and natural gas program. You don't say that publicly unless there is a world of hurt goin on there financially.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
I guarantee you that they aren't spending 165 billion dollars on their nuclear program. That's the amount foreign bankers estimate that Iran needs to maintain and upgrade their oil and natural gas program. You don't say that publicly unless there is a world of hurt goin on there financially.

Yet, they are funding Hamas and other Islamic terrorists. So, they want to kick up the price of all and make the nations of the world fund their terrorism ties.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
No they don't. Iran knows if they were to quit selling oil on the world market (technically we don't buy oil directly from Iran, we buy it from other OPEC nations, while Iran sells to everyone else) the tenuous hold that the Clerics hold over the people would disappear, because the rich elites would collapse. They know they have to sell oil to stay in power. If we really want to disassociate ourselves with the problems in the middle east we need to do everything we can to pump them dry, that way we HAVE to find an alternative energy source to fuel our economy, and we go back to caring about the middle east like we do subsaharran Africa... I.E. not at all.

Short term, they do. Long term, you're right, which is exactly what we're doing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Seriously, if Iran were to stop selling oil tomorrow, their government would collapse before our economy would. I'd bet money on it.

That may be true. But for Joe Schmoe American, it would kill us to pay $5 to $10 a gallon for gas while the market shifted.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
Yet, they are funding Hamas and other Islamic terrorists. So, they want to kick up the price of all and make the nations of the world fund their terrorism ties.

They might have a billion or two that they're spending on that stuff... but not the hundred or two that they need.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 07:17 AM)
Seriously, if Iran were to stop selling oil tomorrow, their government would collapse before our economy would. I'd bet money on it.

"SPR". Every so often, it really looks like a great idea.

Anyway, the other issue with Iran is that Iran doesn't necessarily have to "Stop" selling oil in order to find a way to hurt the West. There is very little spare capacity in oil anywhere in the world these days, especially with the entire oil industry in Iraq in flames. Iran produces something over 4 million barrels of oil per day. If they were to cut down on the amount they produce, the can jump the price of oil upwards while still being able to export the majority of their supply at a higher price.