Walkoff hit by pitches

StatManDu

Prior to April 5th, the last time I could find the White Sox winning a game on walkoff hit-by-pitch was on Aug. 4, 1962 when they beat the Yankees 2-1 when Bill Stafford plunked Al Smith to force in Mike Hershberger with the decisive run with no out in the ninth before 36,468 at Comiskey Park.

Does anyone recall one before that?????

I was at the April 5th game when the White Sox defeated the Cleveland Indians 4-3 at US Cellular Field on a walkoff hit-by-pitch. As you recall, the Sox picked up their first win of the year when AJ Pierzynski (who else!) was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and the score tied in the ninth inning.

That got me to thinking: When was the last time this happened to the Sox? I remember the Sox winning on every conceivable walkoff play even walks and wild pitches but a walkoff HBP was something I could never remember happening to the Sox.

I had logged all the White Sox walkoff wins at the new park and I quickly found there were no such victories at the New Comiskey Park/US Cellular Field.

I then hit retrosheet.org and started digging backwards. What a great site! It was quck research because I was only looking at one run victories at home. When I would click on a one run victory at home, if there was no run in the last inning, I moved on. If there was, I went to the play-by-play and reviewed the winning play. I finally stumbled upon 8-4-62 after about two days of digging. If it weren’t jobs, commitments etc., I could have easily knocked it down in a few hours.

That’s how I do it. Find a fact, narrow the parameters and go!

~StatManDu

Edited by StatManDu

8 years ago I had a walkoff hit by pitch, it was a knuckle ball thrown by a friend that hit me in the leg, it didn't even hurt, he was pretty pissed. That was the coolest walk off I ever had, I wasn't cool enough to have the walk off homer, I did have a couple of walk off walks, a walk off double, and a walk off single, if we can count those as walk offs.

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assumed you knew how to query the database. (I don't know how to use access, write scrips, so don't ask me)

Seems like way too much work for far too little payoff.

I would say if I didn't have other things going on in my life, I could have found that out in about hour after narrowing the paramters. Part of the fun of it was looking at old games and absorbing. I am not 100 percent Web savy but I don't know if having access to the database would have saved me much more time. Maybe I am wrong.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
In 2003 (?) The Sox scored the go ahead run in the top of the 10th (?) against Toronto when Konerko got hit in the nuts.

I do remember DJ suggesting Konerko was hit in his "kibbles and bits."

Earlier in the game was this classic quote, as well:

"Oh, here comes the rain; better bring the tarp out. Oh wait, they don't have one -- it's a dome. Nimrods."

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
I do remember DJ suggesting Konerko was hit in his "kibbles and bits."

Earlier in the game was this classic quote, as well:

"Oh, here comes the rain; better bring the tarp out. Oh wait, they don't have one -- it's a dome. Nimrods."

LOL! I remember that. Hawk was going nuts! "What a bunch of Nimrods!"