2014 Minor League catch all thread

NorthSideSox72

Since ST is underway, figure I'd bring this up now... FutureSox will have something new come April - daily minor league game recaps up on the blog. We have two new writers who will be handling those, though Dan may jump in occasionally too. Dan will be working with the new guys to get them accilimated, and get settled on a good format.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 03:53 PM)
Serious question... Does anyone around MLB have the type of speed that the White Sox have in their minor league system right now? They have some guys that sound like 70/80 speed.

Micah, May, Anderson and Engel could all be volume base stealers. Semien and Leury in a PR/utility role would also swipe a few. Don't expect all of this to happen by any means, but the overall speed available should help the defense, and the pitching in front of it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
Serious question... Does anyone around MLB have the type of speed that the White Sox have in their minor league system right now? They have some guys that sound like 70/80 speed.

Hell, or the young power if we include Avi, Abreu, and Dayan. Barnum, Davidson, Hawkins, Thompson, Zapata.

Lots of power in the system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)
Hell, or the young power if we include Avi, Abreu, and Dayan. Barnum, Davidson, Hawkins, Thompson, Zapata.

We've still got a long way to go, but the farm system has certainly come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Things are looking up.

Edited by Señor Ding-Dong

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 11:09 PM)

Good call too. Lots of raw tools, now can we get anything out of them?

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 3, 2014 -> 06:58 PM)
Micah, May, Anderson and Engel could all be volume base stealers. Semien and Leury in a PR/utility role would also swipe a few. Don't expect all of this to happen by any means, but the overall speed available should help the defense, and the pitching in front of it.

That isn't even including Keenyn Walker, who is probably faster than any of those guys.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 08:57 AM)
Good call too. Lots of raw tools, now can we get anything out of them?

This is the Sox system in a nutshell. So many tools, but big questions on whether the players will hit enough to put the elite power and speed to use. So far the answer for Mitchell, Walker, and Thompson the answer has been no. MJ shows some promise if he can get things with his glove figured out. May is a guy that looks like the complete package, but has a long ways to go.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 4, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
That isn't even including Keenyn Walker, who is probably faster than any of those guys.

I guess you could say I hold out little hope for Keenyn. The others have shown a semblance of the hit tool.

My dream lineup circa 2016 could hit 200 HR's and steal 200 bases. Don't wake me up.

Can't access Twitter from here, but if you follow the FutureSox Twitter feed, check out the two pictures we RT'd recently from Jose Barraza and Jordan Guerrero. They were in a car wreck, and got bloodied up a bit. No serious injuries though, fortunately. But the pictures are frightenting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 12:53 PM)
Can't access Twitter from here, but if you follow the FutureSox Twitter feed, check out the two pictures we RT'd recently from Jose Barraza and Jordan Guerrero. They were in a car wreck, and got bloodied up a bit. No serious injuries though, fortunately. But the pictures are frightenting.

I couldn't look at their pictures. Glad that they are okay, but who are they? Prospects?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 12:56 PM)
I couldn't look at their pictures. Glad that they are okay, but who are they? Prospects?

More "prospects" than prospects, but yes they are White Sox minor leaguers. Barraza was somewhat highly considered as a catching prospect after being drafted in the 7th round in 2012, but he missed 2013 after having TJ surgery. Still young and could be interesting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 2m

Ozney Guillen, son of Ozzie Guillen, signed his 1st pro contract today with the Normal CornBelters. He was drafted in 2012 by the #WhiteSox.

Oh the controversy there. His family thought he was a top ten pick and he ended up going in the mid-20's, now is playing independent league cause nobody else thinks he is good enough/worth the headache.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
Oh the controversy there. His family thought he was a top ten pick and he ended up going in the mid-20's, now is playing independent league cause nobody else thinks he is good enough/worth the headache.

Wouldn't have been as big an issue had they not laughably drafted KW Jr in the 6th. I mean, I get it, everyone does those kinds of drafts - but they do it in the late 30's. Drafting him in the 6th was terrible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2014 -> 03:38 PM)
Wouldn't have been as big an issue had they not laughably drafted KW Jr in the 6th. I mean, I get it, everyone does those kinds of drafts - but they do it in the late 30's. Drafting him in the 6th was terrible.

True.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

Chris Beck, who Rick Hahn says is on an "Erik Johnson-type path," threw 4 scoreless against Triple-A Royals on Monday. #WhiteSox

I love the sound of this...

A rotation of the future featuring Sale, Quintana, Johnson, Beck and Rodon/Hoffman/Beede/Kolek is really exciting to me.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

Chris Beck, who Rick Hahn says is on an "Erik Johnson-type path," threw 4 scoreless against Triple-A Royals on Monday. #WhiteSox

I love the sound of this...

A rotation of the future featuring Sale, Quintana, Johnson, Beck and Rodon/Hoffman/Beede/Kolek is really exciting to me.

And Danish if he sticks as a starter.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
He's like 2-3 years away at the very, very earliest.

2-3 yrs? I'll take it.

He'll prob start at Kanny this year, get promoted to W-S mid season......