San Antonio

Heads22

Guest hotsoxchick1

hang around the river walk area.. theres lots to eat and see down there.......if you can i would try to get on base there at lackland and see what your airforce trainees go through... they do allow civilian visitors there, so you may want to check that out its pretty interesting.......other than that there isnt much else to san antonio...........

hang around the river walk area.. theres lots to eat and see down there.......if you can i would try to get on base there at lackland and see what your airforce trainees go through... they do allow civilian visitors there, so you may want to check that out its pretty interesting.......other than that there isnt much else to san antonio...........

I could tell you some of my friends (and one of mine) goals down there are. At my school, it's not uncool to be in band, and plus get to go on trips like this every four years, last time it was the Orange Bowl, and now the Alamo Bowl. We have been invited to every major bowl except the Rose, Mardi Gras (can't believe we can't go), and Dublin for St. Patrick's Day.

Guest hotsoxchick1

I could tell you some of my friends (and one of mine) goals down there are. At my school, it's not uncool to be in band, and plus get to go on trips like this every four years, last time it was the Orange Bowl, and now the Alamo Bowl. We have been invited to every major bowl except the Rose, Mardi Gras (can't believe we can't go), and Dublin for St. Patrick's Day.

hey i never said it was uncool to be in band, i have a kid in band... and they do all the trips and stuff too...what do you play??? my son plays sax...... i was just passing you places to go and see like you asked, and since i spent some time down there in the military i figured i would let ya know what was down there to do......the river walk is a cool place to hang out.. it has shops and restraunts......and if you can get on base i would suggest going it has cool things to look at there too...other than that there isnt much else.......

hey i never said it was uncool to be in band, i have a kid in band... and they do all the trips and stuff too...what do you play??? my son plays sax...... i was just passing you places to go and see like you asked, and since i spent some time down there in the military i figured i would let ya know what was down there to do......the river walk is a cool place to hang out.. it has shops and restraunts......and if you can get on base i would suggest going it has cool things to look at there too...other than that there isnt much else.......

I know you didn't. I was just saying it in case anybody was going to bring it up. I play the trumpet. I've basically only heard about the river walk down there, and the alamo. Thanks for the info.

• 12 years later...

San Antonio is a fun town. I've been a couple of times, most recently last spring when my wife was at a conference. The riverwalk is the main tourist spot and it's pretty cool, especially at night. Lots of good bars and restaraunts. Hit up Yelp. The Alamo is 2 minutes away. That's a must see, even though I still don't get the draw to seeing the spot where a bunch of people were massacred. I didn't find their holding out very heroic. They could have easily abandoned The Alamo and lived to fight another day. But anyways... Check out their big tower/needle thing too, has great views of the city.

For food, we enjoyed The Guenther House for breakfast. IIRC they don't take reservations, so you have to wait 30-45 minutes, but there's a cool walk to the restaurant through an old historic part of town, and then you can take the river trail back to the riverwalk area afterwards. Some amazing biscuits if you're into that.

I also tell anyone I know that goes there to seek out the Jim Cullum Jazz Band. He used to have an actual club on the riverwalk that was amazing. His show was broadcast on NPR and other radio stations nationwide for a long time. Sadly the club closed but he still plays at various restaurants and clubs around town. We happened to catch him at this total dive bar in a semi-sketchy area (or what appeared to be a semi-sketchy area) and it was the best 4-5 hours of the trip. Awesome music and good handmade cocktails.

I've lived in San Antonio a little over a year and IMO it's boring. All the "attractions" in town you can basically see them in a week.

Then again, I used to live near Los Angeles and San Diego so...

And the summer heat is unbearable. I'll be glad when I move away early next year.

It's not a bad trip. Stay at one of the major hotels down by the Riverwalk. The Mexican food joints down by the Riverwalk are not bad at all. There are some bars on the Riverwalk and a Hooters as I recall.

The Alamo is cool and there are some neat old buildings. I'd take one of those bus tours of the city and make sure you stay down by the Riverwalk. I think there are 2 Marriott chain hotels down there that are fine.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 24, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
It's not a bad trip. Stay at one of the major hotels down by the Riverwalk. The Mexican food joints down by the Riverwalk are not bad at all. There are some bars on the Riverwalk and a Hooters as I recall.

The Alamo is cool and there are some neat old buildings. I'd take one of those bus tours of the city and make sure you stay down by the Riverwalk. I think there are 2 Marriott chain hotels down there that are fine.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 23, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
I hope heads checks in to get all of this great advice before his January 2004 trip!

:lol: