Web design help

NorthSideSox72

All-

I'm starting a new website. I've built and managed a simple WordPress-structured site before, but I am not sure this new site will work without some professional help. So I am hoping that somewhere in the hive mind here, y'all can tell me if this is something I need to pay someone for.

Without getting into the site details too deep (trying to keep it under wraps for now), the site needs to be able to allow users to search by location - both by address/zip/city or by clicking on a map or by mobile location service. They also need to be able to enter data in a form, with various text boxes and check boxes, and sometimes click a location on a map for that part as well. Then there are other static pages that I can handle easily enough. The information people enter - locations, ratings, etc. - need to be in a database so that the search can work either as a list output or a map output. Finally, I need to have a useful mobile version of the site.

I guess the complicating factors here really are just the mapping/location aspect, and the search tools. Is this something I could probably pull off via WordPress add-ons? Or do I need a GIS-speaking developer to help me get it running?

Thanks in advance!

Are you going to be doing a .com template? If not, which I'd recommend if you are doing something more sophisticated here, there are going to be plenty of options to do this.

Go knock around themeforest.org and look at various themes with forms/maps. Some of the real estate ones may have what you are looking for.

But this does take some basic know-how of hosting on something like wpengine.

"sometimes click a location on a map for that part as well" - This may be needlessly difficult. You can probably narrow down a droplist for users with some information.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
You can look at something like this and see how far you can stretch it.

Good luck. I hate php and bootstrap.

http://themeforest.net/item/javo-home-real...review/12590130

Thanks, bmags! It looks like that theme you found could be useful for nearly everything I want to do, with some tweaking (which I can do). The ability to select a spot on a map and get pick up the geo-location data is an open question, but i can search for that type of tool online by itself. I appreciate your help!

Of course, I also need to deal with the database issue. When it comes to web applications and code interfacing with a true database, I just don't have that experience.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
Thanks, bmags! It looks like that theme you found could be useful for nearly everything I want to do, with some tweaking (which I can do). The ability to select a spot on a map and get pick up the geo-location data is an open question, but i can search for that type of tool online by itself. I appreciate your help!

Of course, I also need to deal with the database issue. When it comes to web applications and code interfacing with a true database, I just don't have that experience.

Yeah, before you purchase it ask the creators of the themes on the forums. They can usually point you in the right direction. if they can't, that's a sign you are buying something that will not be supported long.

The database, you'll have to see. My impression would be with a real estate theme they are allowing data to be uploaded through csv or json or something. You can see if that would flow the other way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2015 -> 01:11 PM)
Yeah, before you purchase it ask the creators of the themes on the forums. They can usually point you in the right direction. if they can't, that's a sign you are buying something that will not be supported long.

The database, you'll have to see. My impression would be with a real estate theme they are allowing data to be uploaded through csv or json or something. You can see if that would flow the other way.

Good call, thanks.

By the way, if there are any web designers out there looking for small jobs, I'd be willing to pay someone to set this up for me. I am tech-savvy enough to maintain it, but building it would take me way longer than someone more trained on these specific technologies, and I'm willing to pay to avoid the startup time.