Chris Carter

Brandon Allen

Javier Castillo

Outfielders

Manuel Rodriguez

Daron Roberts

Aaron Cunningham

Salvador Sanchez

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Does anyone know what happened with Boomer Berry? Just wondering he is. :huh

Baseball America has him being released in their most recent transaction section:

Signed OFs Anthony Cod and Mark Quinn, RHPs Jeff Farnsworth, Hideo Nomo and Vladimir Nunez, 1B Bucky Jacobsen and IF Brenton Metheny. Released 2B Boomer Berry, Cs Weldon Combs, Michael Landry and Charles Lisk, RHP Steven Squires,OFs Matt Dugan, Ben Grieve, Dustin Shafer and Matt Tribble, LHPs Martin Cortez, Travis Doyle and Yunior Novoa and OF Jerry Davis.

Four players were added to Kannapolis' roster since I last checked. Here is the information on those four players:

17 Israel "Chiqui" Chirino LHP Left Left 6'1 200 11/8/1983

18 Clevlan Santeliz RHP Right Right 6'0 157 9/1/1986

18 Paulo Orlando OF Right Right 6'3 184 11/1/1985

15 Eric Hollis C Switch Right 6'2 225 9/26/1982

Here's a good preview about this year's team:

http://www.independenttribune.com/scripts/...tacodalogin=yes

KANNAPOLIS - In both his first year with the Chicago White Sox organization and with the Kannapolis Intimidators, new I’s manager Omer Munoz figures he is facing a pretty typical challenge with an A league team.

One challenge that is a little more unique for Munoz is he is taking over a team that is the defending champion of the South Atlantic League.

Munoz and the Intimidators will open the 2006 SAL season and begin defense of that league championship on Thursday night in Rome, Ga.

The Intimidators’ home opener will be April 11 against Asheville at Fieldcrest Cannon Stadium.

“No pressure…just kidding,” says Munoz, who was with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays organization last season. “That is why we are here, trying to do it again. I’m not going to promise that we are going to win a hundred games, but I will tell you that we will play hard every game.”

The Intimidators will be having to do that, however, with essentially no one who played a prominent role in the 2005 title run.

Left-handed pitcher Oneli Perez is the only returnee who spent the entire ‘05 season in Kannapolis. Pitchers Ricky Brooks, Noe Rodriguez and Ryan Rote, catcher Francisco Hernandez, infielder Javier Castillo and outfielders Daron Roberts and Aaron Cunningham spent small parts of the season with the Intimidators.

After that, Munoz will have a young team with many players playing in their first full-season league.

“It’s a young team, we’re going to have several 19-year-olds we’ll have starting for us,” says Munoz. “But I feel we have a good combination of power and speed and hopefully we will be able to utilize both throughout the year.”

Two of the better power threats figure to be Brandon Allen and Chris Carter.

Allen will likely start at first base in the opener, Carter at designated hitter according to Munoz. Allen hit 11 home runs last year at rookie league Great Falls while Carter hit 10 at rookie league in Bristol.

“It will be my first full year, and I’m ready for it,” says Allen, a native of Conroe, Texas. “I think this club is going to be one with great chemistry. We had a good spring training, I think we only lost one game we all played together in. We’re ready to go here.”

But having so many players that are in their first full year of pro ball, as opposed to the 5-6 week rookie league experience, is one of the challenges that will face Munoz and his staff, which includes pitching coach Sean Snedeker and hitting coach Joe Hall.

“I know it will be a matter of adjustments for them and I can speak from experience from when I came here from Venezuela at 18 for the first time, and they are 19 now playing a five-month full season for the first time after just playing in two month rookie

See I’s, B3

leagues,” says Munoz. “So it will be a big adjustment for them of five months of just about every day baseball. And part of our job will be to help them do that.”

One of those will be right-handed pitcher Derek Rodriguez, who will be the opening night starter in Rome.

Rodriguez was a 14th round pick of the White Sox in the 2005 draft out of UNLV. He was 1-3 with a 3.52 ERA last year at Bristol.

“It feels great, it is really an honor with all the good pitchers we have on this staff,” says Rodriguez on being the opening night starter. “When you look at where the other guys come from and what they have done in the past it makes it even more of an honor.”

Aside from Allen, Carter and Rodriguez, Munoz indicated the rest of the opening night lineup in Rome will be Paulo Orlando in center field, Cunningham in left field, Salvador Sanchez in right field, Cristian Acosta at third base, Castillo at shortstop, Pedro Moreno at second base and Hernandez will be the catcher.

As for Munoz, he decided to make the move to the Chicago organization after an off-season meeting with Ozzie Guillen, who managed the White Sox to the 2005 World Series title, and Chisox third base coach Joey Cora. Like Munoz, Guillen is a native of Venezuela and the two played together on the country’s national team before going to pro ball.

“Mr Guillen and Joey Cora talked to me during the off-season and wanted me to come here,” he says. “It was flattering to me and I can’t say no. (Guillen) and I stay in touch a lot, and I’m thankful that he and Joey, and the White Sox, gave me this opportunity.”

Munoz said that Noe Rodriguez will be the Intimidators starter on Friday in Rome. After that he says the rest of the five-man starting pitching rotation has yet to be determined.