Texas Student Booted From School for Wearing John Edwards T-Shirt

sox4lifeinPA

link

I would boot the kid just for looking so fugly...0_61_palmer_pete.jpg

Pete "Rosey" Palmer...

my feelings on this case have nothing to do with John Edwards' name being attached. if the school policy is no political shirts, then no political shirts. Free speech is for Adults who can handle the responsibility until it's taken away by the groups like the ACLU :lol:

Agree with the fugliness point, but really, wtf is a 16 year old doing making a political statement? Man at 16 I was interested in one thing and one thing only: boobies.

(not being sexist, just being honest :headbang )

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 4, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
Agree with the fugliness point, but really, wtf is a 16 year old doing making a political statement? Man at 16 I was interested in one thing and one thing only: boobies.

(not being sexist, just being honest :headbang )

that's the opposite of sexiest. Boobies are amazing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 07:35 AM)
They didn't take him straight to Huntsville and strap him right into the chair? Damn, Texas has changed since I lived down there. They've gone soft.

Turn the kid over to "The Hammer" for sensitivity and political training, he'll fix 'em

Free speach is for adults who can handle the responsibilty. Are you serious? Let's punish a kid who's trying to be active in his country. I'm pretty sure the Bill of Rights dosen't say "18 and over only". Even though he's not 18, the person that get's elected president is gonna effect his life too.

School's need to stop telling kid's what to wear and focus on teaching.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
Free speach is for adults who can handle the responsibilty. Are you serious? Let's punish a kid who's trying to be active in his country. I'm pretty sure the Bill of Rights dosen't say "18 and over only". Even though he's not 18, the person that get's elected president is gonna effect his life too.

This particular one is stupid, but have you seen what kids wear today? We never had dress codes, but I see why they have them now. Kids today have no respect, in general. In that vein, I see why they restrict this stuff.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
This particular one is stupid, but have you seen what kids wear today? We never had dress codes, but I see why they have them now. Kids today have no respect, in general. In that vein, I see why they restrict this stuff.

that and he should be spending more of his time exercising his body and not his free speech. :D

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:18 AM)

I have too many teacher friends to not comment. Teachers can teach when the distractions are gone. I'm not going to comment on the specifics of this dress code, but I fully support the concept of dress codes. It should be common sense, but that seems to be lacking today. And the dress code has to be black and white with no room for discretion. It's easier to ban all political ones, than on a case by case basis. So the Buck Fush and the Edwards '08 both get banned.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Oct 5, 2007 -> 10:18 AM)

Kids in the schoolhouse have a slightly different set of Constitutional rights while there.

4th Amendment rights are curbed with no need for a warrant and a lessened suspicion (see TLO vs New Jersey) to search a locker.

1st Amendment rights are routinely found in Tinker vs Des Moines.

The Supremes ruled that the armbands etc. could be worn since it was silent activity that did not directly disrupt the educational process or substantially disrupt school discipline. In this case, unless the school can show substantial disruption from the student wearing the Edwards shirt (and their dress code policy), the district will likely have some problems if the dictates of Tinker are taken to heart.

And being in a classroom as a teacher -- what the kids wear does affect what is going on in a classroom. Inappropriate dress from girls -- cleavage hanging out, short skirts to huge baggy pants that the kids have to constantly worry about pulling up -- takes away from the educational process as a distraction and (especially in the case of baggy pants) can be a security risk for stashing weapons. That's why I'm glad the district I'm at banned sagging pants this year. You can still wear big pants but they have to be buckled so they have no chance of being loose and falling down.