FS Top Prospects, players ranked 16-30

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 10:04 AM)
Wait for it.

I wouldn't in this case. Burr isn't in our T30.

He's an arm worth tracking, don't get me wrong. But the system is deep enough there were a bunch of guys not even on the Just MIssed that could be real prospects. For relievers alone there are Ryan Burr, Brian Clark, Connor Walsh, Matt Foster, Danny Dopico, Kevin Escorcia, Victor Diaz, Will Kincanon, and JB Olson. All of them have MLB potential. But relievers generally have a much harder case to make to be ranked.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:18 AM)

He's an arm worth tracking, don't get me wrong. But the system is deep enough there were a bunch of guys not even on the Just MIssed that could be real prospects. For relievers alone there are Ryan Burr, Brian Clark, Connor Walsh, Matt Foster, Danny Dopico, Kevin Escorcia, Victor Diaz, Will Kincanon, and JB Olson. All of them have MLB potential. But relievers generally have a much harder case to make to be ranked.

Hamilton joke. Wait for it is one of Burr's main songs in the musical.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 08:58 AM)
It would be really nice for system depth to see a breakout season by Curbelo. We lack depth at both SS and 3B, so having guys emerge there would be awesome.

I got to see Curbelo play in a couple games at the beginning of last season before he got hurt. He was the best athlete on the field and its too bad he got hurt. I wonder if he will be assigned to Great Falls again this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:18 AM)

What about Andre Davis?

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:33 AM)
I got to see Curbelo play in a couple games at the beginning of last season before he got hurt. He was the best athlete on the field and its too bad he got hurt. I wonder if he will be assigned to Great Falls again this year.

I really hope they push him to Kannapolis TBH.

I abstained from voting this year because work kept me from really deep diving, but it's interesting watching how the list compares with what I'd have had.

Still excited about what Curbelo can bring if healthy. Vieira could end up a coup.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)

Damnit, NSS. You should know with SS2k5!

QUOTE (kwill @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 12:20 PM)
I don’t get the Casey Gillespie love.

Short arm swing, no hip rotation, no bat speed. Saw him barrel one to CF last year on a homerun launch angle but it landed 15 feet short of the warning track.

To me, he's not a prospect unless he can rework his swing to generate more power. No idea why he hasn't yet -- he certainly seems like he has the size.

Anyone with knowledge of the system can answer this. Would you say that the current group of position player prospects and their success or lack thereof would be an indicator to evaluate those who develop that talent ? I'm just curious with our lack of success in recent years with position player prospects and with changes made to the system if any one truly thinks the Sox have what it takes to develop these players or even draft well enough and recognize talent that basically just develops on its own.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:23 PM)
Anyone with knowledge of the system can answer this. Would you say that the current group of position player prospects and their success or lack thereof would be an indicator to evaluate those who develop that talent ? I'm just curious with our lack of success in recent years with position player prospects and with changes made to the system if any one truly thinks the Sox have what it takes to develop these players or even draft well enough and recognize talent that basically just develops on its own.

I think so yes. The last two drafts under Hostetler we’ve drafted “ball players” over athletes for the most part. Collins, Call, Fisher, Burger, Sheets, & Gonzalez all fall into that bucket IMO. Those guys should be much easier to develop than the Courtney Hawkins of the world who have serious issues with pitch recognition & plate discipline. That doesn’t mean they should eventually turn into stars or even major league regulars, but we should see productive seasons out of them as progress up the system.

At this point it’s impossible to say if Getz and of the other any player development changes have made much of a difference thus far. While Call gets a free pass due to injury, Fisher played himself out of top 30 lists with a very disappointing season. Collins raised red flags with his bat to ball issues. And obviously it’s way to early to judge, but Burger & Sheets didn’t exactly demonstrate the plus power potential we’ve been hearing about. Next year will be huge though as the Sox have actively working with these guys during instructs & the off-season to fix issues. If Collins can come back in 2018 with the hitch even semi-corrected and Burger & Sheets show signs of lofting the ball more, I’ll start getting a little more optimistic that Getz may be driving some real change.

Edited by Chicago White Sox